Re: Sorcery, Sorcery, Who's Got The Sorcery? 07/09/2014 01:00 PM CDT
> 1) The cap for the minimum chance to backlash wasn't properly respecting mana mixing. This should only result in a change if you are using a non-optimal mana mix, a decent chunk of sorcery skill, and a spell with a low chance to backlash (Which is most basic/intro spells right now).

For such cases, the minimum chance of a backlash will have gone up?
Re: Sorcery, Sorcery, Who's Got The Sorcery? 07/09/2014 01:34 PM CDT
> sorcery changes

Did any of this impact research at all? as of last night i have seen 1 cracked skull with unconsciousness, and 2 skin bleeds (You have open and bleeding sores all over the skin.) where before that i had not seen anything like that for days.. may just be the RNG but i thought i'd ask. thanks!

Damian, a voice from the distant and long-forgotten past.
AIM:DamianDR
Re: Sorcery, Sorcery, Who's Got The Sorcery? 07/09/2014 01:41 PM CDT
It's going to depend on the exact scenario, but generally yes.

If you're using nice friendly mixing (say lunar + holy) this will have no influence on you. If you're using a less friendly mix, and the spell had a relatively low chance to backfire (most basic spells currently would qualify) and more than 300-400 ranks of sorcery... yes. We're talking the difference between 1% and 2-3%.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Sorcery, Sorcery, Who's Got The Sorcery? 07/09/2014 01:45 PM CDT
This should have had no impact on research.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Sorcery, Sorcery, Who's Got The Sorcery? 07/09/2014 01:49 PM CDT
>>This should have had no impact on research.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Damian, a voice from the distant and long-forgotten past.
AIM:DamianDR
Re: Sorcery, Sorcery, Who's Got The Sorcery? 07/09/2014 01:54 PM CDT
> If you're using a less friendly mix, and the spell had a relatively low chance to backfire (most basic spells currently would qualify) and more than 300-400 ranks of sorcery... yes. We're talking the difference between 1% and 2-3%.

That's me, so I'll keep an eye out to see if I seem to backlashing twice as often.
Re: Sorcery, Sorcery, Who's Got The Sorcery? 07/09/2014 04:56 PM CDT
Is this implemented correctly for necromancers, who I thought had minimum risk for any mana mix? My newb has had a marked increase in backlash rate and consequence using an intro TM elemental spell and basic elemental debilitation spell (DMRS).
Re: Sorcery, Sorcery, Who's Got The Sorcery? 07/09/2014 05:08 PM CDT
I thought Necros were bad with Holy and had an easier time with Life, while Elemental and Lunar remained neutral? Digging for the e-pedia post, but having a hard time locating it ...
Re: Sorcery, Sorcery, Who's Got The Sorcery? 07/09/2014 05:10 PM CDT
Necros are at lowest risk for everything except Holy. Forsaken Necromancers should not be using Holy magic.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
>>I thought Necros were bad with Holy and had an easier time with Life, while Elemental and Lunar remained neutral? Digging for the e-pedia post, but having a hard time locating it ...

Necros are best case scenario with everything except holy, which is mega-worse case scenario.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Post:Necromancers_and_sorcery_(little_s)_-_11/16/2013_-_11:17

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
>>I thought Necros were bad with Holy and had an easier time with Life, while Elemental and Lunar remained neutral? Digging for the e-pedia post, but having a hard time locating it ...

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Backlash#Sorcerous_Backlash

Least dangerous combinations:
Necromantic with any mana type except Holy (for necromancers)
Re: Sorcery, Sorcery, Who's Got The Sorcery? 07/09/2014 05:19 PM CDT
Sorry, haha, yes, holy = bad.