Re Backlash is Broken 07/01/2014 09:41 PM CDT
That's worrisome, because it hasn't been anything remotely to "friendly" in terms of backlash rate (severity was semi-tame). And that's at close to 1000 ranks on non-difficult non-capped spells of the best frequency.
Re: Backlash is Broken 07/01/2014 10:44 PM CDT
:popcorn:

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Backlash is Broken 07/01/2014 11:46 PM CDT
Agreeing with Traim here, I currently backlash frequently with internal nerve damage, stuns, and head wounds. If what I'm experiencing is extremely in my favor, I'm not looking forward to your proposed changes.
Re: Backlash is Broken 07/02/2014 12:06 AM CDT
Throw in mana drains, and I'm in the same boat. I'm also wondering what we'll be looking at after the change.
Re: Backlash is Broken 07/02/2014 03:40 AM CDT
This was asked the last time you brought up tweaking backlash, but I just wanted to confirm it still applies. Will this be affecting RESEARCH backlash as well, or just from casting?
Re: Backlash is Broken 07/02/2014 04:44 AM CDT
Research is working as intended right now.

I should clarify - the rate of backlash is working fine (Well, it's working as intended. There's some argument to if it's fine, some spells are particularly wonky one way or the other).

The severity is another matter entirely. Right now in the overwhelming number of circumstances you always get the minimum possible backlash severity. These were meant to be rare (The intent was never to make sorcery drastically safer than when arms were blowing off left and right just... more diverse and a LITTLE more controllable), but the last I checked under the broken system over 90% of backlashes have fallen on that tier.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Backlash is Broken 07/03/2014 11:21 AM CDT
Are you sure you didn't adjust the backlash rate when this change went live? I've cast sorcerous spells 251 times since then, without a single backlash. I think I was getting them more frequently than that before, though I don't have specific numbers.
Re: Backlash is Broken 07/03/2014 11:46 AM CDT
Depending on the skills and spells involved that's not unreasonable.

It's not likely, but it's not unreasonable.

Also note that I just pulled the data from the last few days and while it looks like everything is working right I don't think we're dialed in where we want to be yet. We're going to let it be for a few more days while we collect more data.

The two most likely things you'll see change are the inherent danger of specific spells going wrong (We need to review that no matter what - it's just going to be time consuming and is more directly tied to severity of backlash than it was before) and some changes to the curve of how sorcery skill helps reduce backlash. Right now it's EXTREMELY effectively at making simple sorcery quite safe but it's almost totally ineffective at making hard sorcery safer.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Backlash is Broken 07/03/2014 12:31 PM CDT
> Depending on the skills and spells involved that's not unreasonable.

> It's not likely, but it's not unreasonable.

Okay. I'm using spells that were previously suffering from the zero-backlash bug, so I was worried that fix might have been reverted.
Re: Backlash is Broken 07/04/2014 11:54 PM CDT
This one hurt. And it was pretty awesome, except when I saw I lost my 2 favorite sorceries ha ha ha.

>cast (ghs)
You gesture.
The spell pattern resists the influx of Lunar mana overloading your arcane senses and rendering you magically inert.
The Ghost Shroud and Rising Mists spells flee your mind!

10 minutes of no magical ability at all later..

Awareness enfolds you like the embrace of a loving parent as your attunement to Lunar mana returns.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Backlash is Broken 07/05/2014 02:54 AM CDT
That's one of my favorites.

Not my favorite, but one of them.

-Raesh

Re: Backlash is Broken 07/06/2014 10:14 PM CDT
The one that gives SO is, umm, so evil.
Re: Backlash is Broken 07/06/2014 10:28 PM CDT
<<The one that gives SO is, umm, so evil.

There's one that gives SO specifically even outside justice areas? Isn't it just if you're in a justice area then they all give SO, and if you're not then they don't?
Re: Backlash is Broken 07/06/2014 10:44 PM CDT
I usually research sorcery while getting healed in town and I've never noticed an SO hit. I think some of the bad backlashes like blown arms give max SO now if in town. Needless to say I'll be researching when out of town from now on.

Breakthrough!
Emotionally exhausted, yet triumphant, you have managed to push ever deeper into the irrational realm of Sorcery.
The pattern you are experimenting with wrenches itself out of your control! The half-formed spell pattern discharges its energies wildly.
The spell pattern resists the influx of unstable mana, and a strange burning sensation backwashes from the spell pattern into your body.
An instant rush of black and blue fire explodes into being, consuming your outstretched limbs and turning them into ash!
"Burn him! Burn him!" You hear the cries echo around you as everyone in the vicinity suddenly moves away, giving you a wide berth! It goes without saying you'll be wanted for forbidden practices in The City of Shard now.
A wretched filthiness defiles your soul at this illegal action.
"Stop right there!" The shout reverberates through the area as the sentinel charges towards you. "You're under arrest!"
Before you really realize what's going on, your hands are firmly bound behind you and you are marched off.
The sentinel brings you to the jail, where several companions aid to hold you down and strip you of all your possessions. They are placed in a sack under the watchful eye of the jail warden, and then you are ushered to a cell, the door opened just long enough for you to be shoved inside.

[The Great Tower, Cell]
While clean compared to most other rooms of its type, this cell is far from hospitable. Dim, chilly, and comfortless, the only place to sit is a narrow pallet on the floor, the only exit the set of keys hanging from the executioner's belt.
You also see a steel-braced door.
Obvious exits: none.
Re: Backlash is Broken 07/06/2014 11:55 PM CDT
If you have a visible sorcery backlash (Which is about half of them) and are in a justice area you will be charged with forbidden practices.

Forbidden practices changes come with SO.

-Raesh

Re: Backlash is Broken 07/07/2014 12:29 AM CDT
Wonder if the necromancer plainsclothes stuff helps with that?

Vote:
Re: Backlash is Broken 07/07/2014 05:07 PM CDT
So for the backlash that penalizes all magic skills...
>exp mods
- Lunar Magic
- Arcana
- Debilitation
- Warding
- Sorcery, etc

There is no messaging when the penalty wears off. The backlash that numbs you to magic has messaging upon recovery.

I got the exp mods magic skills nuke backlash two casts in a row. First backlash was every magic skill, 2nd was pm, arcana, debilitation, warding and sorcery.

For anyone keeping track the second backlash of the two wore off at 40 minutes. Because there is no messaging upon wear-off and I forgot to keep spamming exp mods the first backlash duration was greater than 10 minutes and less than 40 minutes. I'm not sure how variable the penalty duration is so I'm assuming it was closer to 40.

Vote:
Re: Backlash is Broken 07/07/2014 08:19 PM CDT
::Squint::

It should get them all every time. Maybe you were offsetting the middle skills with aug spells or something?

-Raesh

Re: Backlash is Broken 07/07/2014 09:26 PM CDT
>It should get them all every time. Maybe you were offsetting the middle skills with aug spells or something?

Naw, after I blew the second attempt at ghost shroud I didn't cast any other magic. I was busy popping boxes and teaching a class. There was the bard enchant that augments scholarship/classes going on but that's the only magical effects I was under. Is it possible that some skills were penalized longer than others or the 2nd identical backlash in a row did something screwy?

I did think with so many different backlashes the odds of getting that same effect twice as quickly as I could recast the spell at full prep was unlikely.

Vote:
Re: Backlash is Broken 07/08/2014 03:46 AM CDT
Not as unlikely as you might think. Assuming you failed by about the same amount it'd be a 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 chance.

-Raesh