Origami primer suggestion 12/02/2009 11:06 AM CST
After going through the origami page on elanthipedia, the sheer number of available instructions kinda sank in for the first time. Along with the recent discussions in other folders on reducing item counts, this got me thinking about ways to manage multiple instructions more conveniently.

I had to think for a bit about how to implement something like this, because there's already the auction grimoires and I don't want to step on any toes with this.

What I'd like to suggest is changing the function of the origami primer to be something more similar to anatomy chart compendiums. It would be an empty book that you can fill with a small selection of instructions of your choosing. 5 to 10 seems like a good number. The current primers could still be sold as a pre-packaged version.

I think this would be fair to those who own a grimoire since its far more limited than the ability to simultaneously hold every pattern known to man, and then some. But it would also provide a way to manage their inventories for those who like to do origami for fun, not just training. Heck, it'd even be a convenience for those who do it exclusively for training, since they could just load it up with the next 5 to 10 instructions in the difficulty progression and not have to worry about it for a long time.

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386A.V.
Re: Origami primer suggestion 12/02/2009 11:22 AM CST
I like this.
Jalika

Moving carefully, you slip your hand into Ragran's pockets and carefully grab a platinum.
Roundtime: 2 sec.
Re: Origami primer suggestion 12/02/2009 11:44 AM CST
Not to dump on the suggestion, but why would you carry more than 1 pattern at a time? I've just recently swapped from vine braiding, so I'm honestly curious as to the reason to carry multiple instructions.

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: Origami primer suggestion 12/02/2009 11:47 AM CST
I know I do because Origami is learned off effective ranks so I need to do so to compensate for predictions.

But I also have like 1792030129 origami patterns sitting in my vault.

SEND[Abasha] It warms my heart to see three people die for a cupcake.
Re: Origami primer suggestion 12/02/2009 11:51 AM CST
<<Not to dump on the suggestion, but why would you carry more than 1 pattern at a time?

<<But it would also provide a way to manage their inventories for those who like to do origami for fun, not just training.

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386A.V.
Re: Origami primer suggestion 12/02/2009 11:57 AM CST
>>I know I do because Origami is learned off effective ranks so I need to do so to compensate for predictions.

It'd be nice if this would get fixed (see skinning 2.1 that Z put in not toooo long ago.)

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Also: Moo.
Re: Origami primer suggestion 12/02/2009 12:50 PM CST
As a grimoire owner, I wouldn't even really mind if there were "compendiums" more more than 5-10. But, I think the suggest is a reasonable one. I know (myself included before the grimoire) kept a copy of every pattern so I would always have one handy. Mostly, that was just me thinking ahead because traveling to each location (or Kresh) to get all of the storebought patterns and then hoarding all the festival patterns wasn't too much fun for my vault.

__
Join us in sharing information!
http://community.livejournal.com/drbookoftales/
View my RPnerderiffic IC journal here!
http://ysselt-dr.livejournal.com/

It will cost you 248 TDPs to raise your Charisma from 99 to 100
Re: Origami primer suggestion 12/02/2009 04:22 PM CST
>I know (myself included before the grimoire) kept a copy of every pattern so I would always have one handy. Mostly, that was just me thinking ahead because traveling to each location (or Kresh) to get all of the storebought patterns and then hoarding all the festival patterns wasn't too much fun for my vault.

I agree, and I wish that 57 items weren't necessary to cover the range of ranks. Then again, I'm not a fan of origami's existance in DR to begin with. (I love it IRL though.)