cambrinth oragami idea 01/02/2006 09:43 PM CST
jsut a random idea I had, thought it may be rather fun. Certain oragami shops (or perhaps maybe jsut merchants, or the premie shop) could sell cambrinth glazed/speckeled/embued oragami paper (say, a gold or few for each piece). Folding wise, it is the exact same as any other paper. The only difference is, when the final product is finished, a magic user may 'charge' the oragami piece. This will train MD a little (dependent on the difficulty of the oragami type). When the oragami piece is fully charged, it will beocme 'animate'. So, say you charge a an oragami cat, it would walk around, meowing, purring, rubbing against people, until the charge wore off. an oragami horse would gallop around and such, a vulture would waddle around pecking at things, etc. The length at which a charged cambrinth oragami piece would remain animate would only be, say ,a few mintues, and perhaps dependent on your MD skill.

Just a random idea. If anybody elseh as any further suggestions to it, feel free to add them.
Re: cambrinth oragami idea 01/03/2006 08:21 AM CST
I think there's something negative to be said about adding "too much" to a system. Where would it stop? If you had one system that could do everything, no one would use any of the other systems. Personally I think origami is already too powerful in it's flexibility. you can fold origami without a free hand and you can fold it in combat. I don't believe that combat is the place you should be learning mech lore. There is no way you can fold it with a weapon in one hand and a piece of paper in the other. This shouldn't even be an option. Origami, like any other mech "creation" system, should require both hands to do, and focused, concentrated effort

Souv

You sense (N, S) from your current position:
A relatively healthy presence nearby.
Roundtime: 6 seconds
Re: cambrinth oragami idea 01/03/2006 10:10 PM CST
so you want to make paper from a mineral and try to fold it... cambrinth in itself is not really something that can be folded... now if you'd want to be able to mine cambrinth and carve it into a shape to do that.. that would be a little more proper...

Sothios Clan-Csencsits
Aesry Locksmith Union Representative
Re: cambrinth oragami idea 01/06/2006 08:20 PM CST
What you are basically talking about is a creation system for little disposable magical dolls. It's an interesting idea at root, but I see a few problems as well.

Here's the nitpicky minor quibble: Cambrinth is the wrong choice of magical stuff I think. There are many magical substances/minerals besides cambrinth such as gaethzen, jadeite, runestones, etc. and the ability you suggest doesn't really dovetail into cambrinth's role as a storer of mana. It doesn't really dovetail into any existing substance that I can think of, actually. It sounds more like a straight enchantment.

And here's the bigger quibble: personally speaking, the last thing I want to see added to the game are a zillion little meowing, neighing, galloping paper figures causing massive, ubiquitous screen scroll. Interesting idea but I hope it doesn't happen ;)
Re: cambrinth oragami idea 01/06/2006 08:23 PM CST
Cambrinth would make sense in this sort of a role if it was used instead as a sort of "battery" in little mechanical dolls we could build from scraps. That would be neat, actually.

But not origami.

Rev. Reene, player of a few

Reene: hey you should play this with me
Zairius: last time I fell for that line
Zairius: I ended up in DR
Re: cambrinth oragami idea 01/07/2006 07:58 PM CST
I must say, it seems like this idea had it's basis in someone saying something to the effect of "hey, I wanna learn MD through my origami script"

Souv

You sense (N, S) from your current position:
A relatively healthy presence nearby.
Roundtime: 6 seconds
Re: cambrinth oragami idea 01/08/2006 04:39 PM CST
>I must say, it seems like this idea had it's basis in someone saying something to the effect of "hey, I wanna learn MD through my origami script"

>Souv

LOL! Yeah, might as well make it teach foraging, perception, stealing, hiding, stalking, multi, ME, six different armors, and animal lore while we're at it...
Re: cambrinth oragami idea 01/08/2006 06:19 PM CST
don't forget empathy since emapths "obviously" use origami the most ;)

Souv

xxxx is teaching a class on advanced (compared to what you already know) empathy, and there appears to be room in it. You are in this class!

Huzzah!