Engineering?? 12/14/2010 09:21 AM CST
Was wondering if there will be a skill that will enable PCs to make orlogs?
Re: Engineering?? 12/14/2010 01:38 PM CST
The Tinkering Discipline under the Engineering Skill will likely deal with Orlogs, mechanical toys, traps and other devices.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Engineering?? 12/14/2010 01:41 PM CST
>We will likely have a Barbarian-only section of the Crossing forge. It is either that, or have a separate forge for Barbarians open later.

So this is going to break all the existing forges?

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Engineering?? 12/14/2010 01:43 PM CST
woohoo! more i learn about the changes, the more i can't wait till everything gets released.
Re: Engineering?? 12/14/2010 02:47 PM CST
>We will likely have a Barbarian-only section of the Crossing forge. It is either that, or have a separate forge for Barbarians open later.

Just curious why they'll have their own forge area after the split? It won't affect me either way, I'm just curious why they'd get preferential treatment over any other guild.
Re: Engineering?? 12/14/2010 03:18 PM CST
My guess would be because they already have a Barbarian only forging area in Crossing.
Re: Engineering?? 12/15/2010 05:18 AM CST
<<*they already have a Barbarian only forging area in Crossing. >>

so do paladins.

the other thing that is a bit scarey about this whole thing, is that virtually every "change" is happening at the same time.

So if something goes buggy, they will have a whole lotta stuff to dig through to find the bug, rather than when they introduce one "new" thing at a time.

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: Engineering?? 12/15/2010 10:52 AM CST
>>So if something goes buggy, they will have a whole lotta stuff to dig through to find the bug, rather than when they introduce one "new" thing at a time.

Not so much for anything Lore related. Stone carving gave me a good platform for working out all the bugs with the Core. Forging is a module that makes calls to the Core, so any bugs with the new system will be limited to that new module, and should not impact Stone Carving. The same goes for other systems as we bring them online.

All forges will have to be rewritten, but not at once. Blacksmithing will initially use and teach mech lore. The new forge in Riverhaven will let people begin to play with it, and give us a neutral spot from which to find and fix bugs, and prepare for releasing Weapon and Armor smithing.

Even once blacksmithing is out, the old forges and systems will remain for a time. When weaponsmithing goes online I'll spend a few weeks converting more forges. Lastly, with Armorsmithing we should see all of them converted. It would take far too long to do everything at once, and that could lead to more headaches in the end (a bug in one needs to be fixed in all, etc).

Blacksmithing is going to be a bit light on things to do initially - its focus is tools, and that requires other systems to be out. But the ingot smelting, refining, reclaiming and repair systems are entirely necessary to get Weapon and Armorsmithing out.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Engineering?? 12/29/2010 11:58 PM CST
"Blacksmithing is going to be a bit light on things to do initially - its focus is tools, and that requires other systems to be out. But the ingot smelting, refining, reclaiming and repair systems are entirely necessary to get Weapon and Armorsmithing out."

Reclaiming.... hmmm sounds fun, can we use this on existing armor or items? Say I have a kertig helm can I melt it down and get the kertig back?
Re: Engineering?? 12/30/2010 12:42 AM CST
>Say I have a kertig helm can I melt it down and get the kertig back?

No. Unfortunately the current forging system doesn't include that information in the items, so the new system can't use it.

I wouldn't rule out an "alterer" that might do it for you, but I wouldn't count on one either.

"Your suffering amuses me" -GM Raesh

Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: Engineering?? 12/30/2010 07:02 AM CST
Yeah, logistically it is a nightmare trying to reclaim old-forged items due to the manner in which rare metal tracking currently exists. I wouldn't rule it out at some point, however. Blacksmithing has actually grown to have quite a number of craftables in it since I made the statement about there not being as much to do. This will only grow as the other systems are released and we turn to Blacksmithing for the tools and ingredients they use.

Re: Engineering?? 01/01/2011 01:24 AM CST
"Yeah, logistically it is a nightmare trying to reclaim old-forged items due to the manner in which rare metal tracking currently exists. I wouldn't rule it out at some point, however. Blacksmithing has actually grown to have quite a number of craftables in it since I made the statement about there not being as much to do. This will only grow as the other systems are released and we turn to Blacksmithing for the tools and ingredients they use."

No doubt boss. No worries, just thought id try hahaha. You are doing some great work keep it up.