Bring back smoking 09/12/2007 07:09 AM CDT
I haven't seen anyone else smoke in realms in a very long time. Me? I say I smoke about once an elanthian week. It is a wonderful system, great for RP, and Im sorry I dont see more people enjoying it. I saw one fellow ranger letting cigars get sucked into a wind tunnel! I just about hard a heart attack on the spot.

That being said, I think some aspect of smoking should teach. Maybe mech?

--Smoke Meragin O'Malamus

The muddy, tobac smellin, kneebiter (tm)
Re: Bring back smoking 09/12/2007 07:54 AM CDT
The most annoying part of smoking is the way you have to light the substance. Hanryu would definitely smoke more if I didn't have to do the 3 item mambo every time I wanted to light up.

However that's secondary to the number 1 thing that would make smoking more common, an "in the mouth" item slot. I don't mind hanging on to a lit cigar for a bit, but I'd like to park it in my teeth for a climb and such.

Oh and cigarettes, and matches, and player foraged and made tobacco, and lighters, and . . .

~Ranger Hanryu, Sword of House Calibanor
Keeper of the CEC
http://www.kynevon.info/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: Bring back smoking 09/12/2007 09:52 AM CDT
>>Hanryu would definitely smoke more if I didn't have to do the 3 item mambo every time I wanted to light up.

Just create a script. Then all you need to type is .light cigar or whatever, assuming you always keep your lighting implements in the same location.

Or find a war mage who can touch it for you.
Re: Bring back smoking 09/12/2007 01:30 PM CDT
There are lighters. They only require one hand.
~Raltir
Re: Bring back smoking 09/12/2007 04:20 PM CDT
I've got a simple script to set stuff on fire, and a nice little smoking trainer that will run with a pipe or cigars. I'll post it somewhere if there's interest.

~ Player of Farman et al.

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Main_Page
Re: Bring back smoking 09/12/2007 04:35 PM CDT
I think it was the original Theren fest that sold pipes with strikers on them. All you had to do was hold the pipe in one hand and the flint in another.

Would it be possible to convert all pipes into this type?

Like a global search and replace?

Just an idea.

-=Dirge. Come for the ossuary. Stay for the ash.=-
Re: Bring back smoking 09/12/2007 05:52 PM CDT
I gave up on smoking when I found out adequate is the best I can get.
Re: Bring back smoking 09/12/2007 07:01 PM CDT
I think it'd be neat if War Mages (and Bards, maybe) were able to get as good at smoke images as halflings. After all, they are schooled in air manipulation.
Re: Bring back smoking 09/13/2007 06:40 AM CDT
>>I gave up on smoking when I found out adequate is the best I can get.

This, for all but one of my characters, is the case for me. Not necessarily adequate, but whatever the limit was for each non-Olvi race.

It simply doesn't make sense to me that any race can't reach master level with enough practice. Yes, it should be easier by far for Olvi, but even a Prydaen or S'Kra should be able to eventually learn how to manipulate their mouths correctly. It's not like Prydaens are blocked out of the SING system because they can't pronounce words correctly.

And what's the point of making gravestones if the best I can ever get in a fantasy game is the same as I could get in real life- a lopsided lump?

~Kashik
Re: Bring back smoking 09/13/2007 09:43 AM CDT
I would even settle for smoke images that looked like the static image instead of the pale imitations that they are. Let the Olvi have mastery and be able to create dynamic, moving images (although I'd love to be able to do so, what with all the smoking I do), and I'll be content with making a ship that looks like a ship.

Time to get out my box of Death Sticks.

Is that a sword? Luxury!
Is that a horse? Sloth!
Is that a helmet? Vanity!
Re: Bring back smoking 09/16/2007 07:36 PM CDT
>I don't mind hanging on to a lit cigar for a bit, but I'd like to park it in my teeth for a climb and such.

Ditto.

>Oh and cigarettes, and matches, and player foraged and made tobacco, and lighters, and . . .

Dibs on selling rights for Hanryu-rolled cigs! Just the good stuff, 1pk a pop.

Reene: It's like you started writing something sane then had a seizure of some kind half way through.
Re: Bring back smoking 09/23/2007 10:08 PM CDT
What is needed is the ability to hold cigars in-mouth instead of in-hand. I like to have my character walk around puffing. There is something amusing about walking through a moongate while puffing a cigar. I don't know why.

-/\/\
Moon mage Daellid
Re: Bring back smoking 09/28/2007 12:26 AM CDT
There you go...a mouth slot for inventory...I like it.

Also, release the bracelet image, if the chara that won it is no longer around. ::dons his fireproof suit::

Regards,

Kalkomar Axebiter
Grimis Stok
Re: Bring back smoking 09/28/2007 09:34 AM CDT
The bracelet was Fizzia's image, wasn't it? I can't see that becoming public domain, though I did always want to learn it.

And speaking of other smoke shapes, are there any others not on the general list? I remember hearing about a web image that Fial revealed at one point. Does anyone know it or am I imagining things. (Honestly, I haven't looked at the list of smoke images in quite some time, so I'll be embarrassed if the web is actually on that list now.)

And mouth-held items would be interesting. They could display in the features description like a forehead jewel or tattoo, instead of with the standard inventory. Cigars, toothpicks, maybe even a special type of lockpick or a dagger for our pirate-inclined friends. Well, a dagger might be a little much, it would be a lot harder to talk around.
Re: Bring back smoking 09/28/2007 12:07 PM CDT
The other 2 contest images are Web and Phoenix.

I would like to see a mouth slot as well, maybe mechanically similar to hand slots but also either in the room desc or just on the LOOK (facial features section) others should be able to see what's in your mouth.

Reene: It's like you started writing something sane then had a seizure of some kind half way through.
Re: Bring back smoking 09/28/2007 03:39 PM CDT
>> The other 2 contest images are Web and Phoenix.

I actually have both the web and the phoenix on my (non-Halfling) Empath, strangely enough.

Rev. Reene

Presenting the official drink of Crossing...

Powerhaus exclaims, "ass tea dammit!"
Powerhaus exclaims, "ass tea!"
Heartsfyre laughs!
Cyiarriah says, "What is ass tea"
Cyiarriah acts puzzled.
Re: Bring back smoking 09/28/2007 09:33 PM CDT
actually all my characters have been taught web and phoenix, along with the other smoke images.only my halflings can of course, teach them. it took quite a number of stolen cigars to teach the whole family, but then, when i used to steal in riverhaven, cigars were part of my run. :-)

bracelet is the only one i haven't been able to get ahold of. because the one that learned it chose not to teach it to anyone, then left the game.

<<If nothing else, maybe some Magic Using guilds will now feel the joys of "You cannot steal here.", at least for a while.--Solomon>>
Re: Bring back smoking 09/28/2007 10:18 PM CDT
>bracelet is the only one i haven't been able to get ahold of. because the one that learned it chose not to teach it to anyone, then left the game.

haha, what a bastard.
Re: Bring back smoking 09/28/2007 10:24 PM CDT
Nope, the owner of the bracelet image is still a player. I believe she has said if she does decide to leave, she will pass the image on before doing so. It was her image and design so I will not fault her, even if I am jealous.

~Eoworfinia~
Dartenian fades into view.
A horde of Lawrence Welk fans decend on the area.
Dartenian whimpers softly.