Prev_page Previous 1
how bout a singing addition? 03/12/2006 07:07 PM CST
why not give a tiny bit of scholarship to those that here someone singing?

--
Treat empaths with respect, you'll live longer
--
http://people.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=5198137
Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/12/2006 10:03 PM CST
Small bits of a useless skill for something that can (and does) happen when some scripter happens to walk through the room? Surely you can exert a bit of energy and go read a book in the library.

Gladiator Maulem~

Come join the werewolf legions!
http://s1.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=9424
Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/13/2006 12:27 AM CST
what good is it to read the same books over and over? that's boring, least when yer listening to songs (the real ones not the scripted ones) you can be somewhat entertained and might learn something

also might make people who need scholarship not dislike singers as much

--
--
Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/14/2006 01:40 PM CST
Sorry if I seemed snippy. I feel there's too many ways to "do nothing" or next to nothing to learn certain skills IG as is. I don't see them devoting the already-thinly-spread GM dev time to this, but good luck.

Gladiator Maulem~

Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/14/2006 02:29 PM CST
> why not give a tiny bit of scholarship to those that here someone singing?

> I don't see them devoting the already-thinly-spread GM dev time to this, but good luck.

Actually, you might be surprised on both counts.

Currently there are certain types of vocal songs that will already grant small amounts of scholarship to those listening. No, I'm not talking about Enchantes, either. In short, this feature is already in the game in a limited capacity.

As far as Dev time being spent on singing, or music in general, it's already happening. My absolute top priority right now is bringing both PLAY and SING up-to-date with all the changes over the past ten years or so. For the most part, this means pretty much a complete overhaul. While doing so, I'll be trying to make them both more interesting and at least a bit more useful.

Now for the "but" everyone knew was coming. I'll also be working as much as possible to remove what I like to call the 'Spam Factor'. Right now, many people run around singing in crowded areas in the belief that it helps them learn faster. In general, all it does is annoy people and give musicians in general a bad name! The last thing we want to do is encourage even more of this. So the objective with revamping Play and Sing will be to make them a bit more fun and useful, but not in a way that will reward people for running around spamming random strangers. It's going to be a bit of a tightrope walk, obviously, but I think we can make it work.

I'm going to leave it at that for now. Just be assured that this long-neglected skills will be getting a bit of a facelift in the foreseeable future, hopefully in a way that will benefit everyone.

- GM Dartenian

"You ain't seen nothin' yet!" - Al Jolson

LiveJournal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/dartenian/
Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/14/2006 03:34 PM CST
gah your forcing my characters to learn scholarship and infringing on my RPingness!!!@one!!11 how dare you magical singing typeses force my dumb as a brick elothean dirt farmer learn any scholarship at all!?

<snicker> figured someone was gonna say it.. so I might as well lead the charge.

And, for my dear Dartenian, that stole the name of the kitten I lost when I was five, whose name I stole from the three muskateer's, I leave... a boot to the head.

Got Body Parts?
Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/14/2006 04:07 PM CST
>So the objective with revamping Play and Sing will be to make them a bit more fun and useful, but not in a way that will reward people for running around spamming random strangers.

I'm really, truly, hoping against all hope that vocals for all guilds (and commoners) will be learnable enchante style, so that all the spammish goodness for the sake of ranks will end once and for all. As it is right now, I only learn vocals through classes, and even those are hard to find... since most bards I find tell me basically to <expletive deleted> and the horse I rode in on, and most non-bards just don't have many ranks.

It would be a wonderful positive change.

-Vorgahf

The last time Mr. T went to McDonald's, Ronald McDonald greeted him. What occured next proved to be the most violent beating of a clown ever recorded in human history.
Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/14/2006 04:29 PM CST
I really hate to agree with Vorghaf, but my barbarian really wants his voice to recover faster for the roars, and I really hate learning Vocals by spamming strangers. I've pounded 50 tertiary ranks out of it, I'd hate to do another 100 or so.

Malkien the Barbarian has already been to the moon: that's why there are no signs of life there.
Apis the Cleric's tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.

Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/14/2006 04:30 PM CST
> I'm really, truly, hoping against all hope that vocals for all guilds (and commoners) will be learnable enchante style, so that all the spammish goodness for the sake of ranks will end once and for all.

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to approach that when I get there, but spamming for exp needs to go the way of the dodo. I have some possible solutions, but I won't know what will and won't work until I get farther along in PLAY and can do some digging into SING as well.

- GM Dartenian

Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/14/2006 04:39 PM CST
> but spamming for exp needs to go the way of the dodo.

As an envoy from the IADRONR(International Association of Dodo Resurrection and Otherwise Necromantic Restoration) I am deeply offended by your post.

-Durnil
Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/14/2006 04:41 PM CST
Give everyone access to the reherse verb and make it teach vocals. That way, instead of...

So-so sings:

My song la la la la la
My song la la la la la
Blah blah blah blah
I love my song

...It would be:

So-so runs through a few scales, but you seriously doubt that she even knows the notes she's singing. It sounds terrible!

It would, at least, be 'acceptable' spam like juggling or folding or something. Much more easily ignored then the tabbed song verses.

Malkien the Barbarian has already been to the moon: that's why there are no signs of life there.

Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/14/2006 04:45 PM CST
I am doing scales and arpeggios for instrumental music practice, and I'll probably do the same for Vocals, at least as one option. Again, a lot will depend on what I find when I get brave enough to delve into the Sing code a bit deeper. So far I'm in over my head in PLAY, and its reallllly skeery down here! Hellllp!

- GM Dartenian

Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/14/2006 04:48 PM CST
>Give everyone access to the reherse verb and make it teach vocals. That way, instead of...

There's a rehearse verb?

>rehearse
Please rephrase that command.

Not for this bard. :(
Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/14/2006 04:50 PM CST
I forgot the verb, sorry. Check Olwydd. It's just an rp tool for Bards currently (imagine that), so being myself I managed to forget it the first day i made my Bard cause it had no combat applications.

Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/14/2006 04:51 PM CST
Practice?

Though, I don't think that teaches any (if at all) significant vocal skill. Can't remember.

Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/14/2006 04:54 PM CST
That's the one. No, it doesn't teach any Vocals. But Bards have enchantes for vocals. Designate practice or some similar verb as a universal verb and make it teach Vocals like juggling teaches Perception. Just an idea I had. As long as you come up with something, Dart, that lets me learn Vocals without spamming crowds then I will be happy!

Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/14/2006 05:01 PM CST
> As long as you come up with something, Dart, that lets me learn Vocals without spamming crowds then I will be happy!

Not as happy as the crowds will probably be! I've heard barbarians sing! ::ducks 'n runs::

Seriously, we'll come up with something. Hopefully something that actually can be both fun and useful. But then again, I've always been a bit idealistic. still, we'll see what we can do.

- GM Dartenian

Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/14/2006 11:46 PM CST
>>I've heard barbarians sing!

I represent that remark.

Any decent way to get my vocals up would be nice, from lecturing during classes to being able to sing off key scales, or even smooshing sing down into the play group so we could >play voice playful.

mfberg
Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/15/2006 02:09 AM CST
"Yeah, I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to approach that when I get there, but spamming for exp needs to go the way of the dodo. I have some possible solutions, but I won't know what will and won't work until I get farther along in PLAY and can do some digging into SING as well."

oooh, didn't know that..guess it's cause i'm a puff and always teaching or listening, thanks for letting me know

how bout just typing sing
soandso starts singing

that would reduce scroll i imagine
--
--
Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/15/2006 08:49 AM CST
Why not add something like Modus has, where you learn a small amount of vocals (and incur a small RT) with HUMMING?

Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/15/2006 02:22 PM CST
What about Thieves learning vocals from doing voice throws?

-Wighten
Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/15/2006 02:37 PM CST
Lots of people say they want Teaching to be worth something. How about making a skill that necessarily involves lots of talking and gesticulating teach vocals?

If LECTURE while teaching a class is going to be considered, might as well ask for the TEACH/LISTEN combo to teach it.

J'Lo, no that other one
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/15/2006 02:53 PM CST
I think teaching should improve your ability to fight monsters.

-Durnil
Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/15/2006 02:58 PM CST
It does. With a couple thousand hours in the right classes, you can jump straight to Trollkin or better. No need to waste your time on no-account goblins or rats.

J'Lo, no that other one
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/15/2006 04:01 PM CST
Here's a teaching idea. The less people in your class the better they learn (specialized attention). It would be a tradeoff, teach big classes (they still learn) so that the teacher learns best, teach smaller classes (the teacher still learns, but not anywhere close to the student). This would allow a decent teacher to mindlock one student fairly quickly, making teaching an extremly powerful tool. The trade off is it is nearly a completly philanthropistic maneuver since the teacher would never learn past thoughtful for only teaching one student. Thus a useful tool (although it should be noted teaching used to be very useless back in the day, hard to learn, and didn't teach so well especially at lower ranks)
Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/15/2006 04:43 PM CST
<<The less people in your class the better they learn (specialized attention). It would be a tradeoff, teach big classes (they still learn) so that the teacher learns best, teach smaller classes (the teacher still learns, but not anywhere close to the student).>>

I always thought that was more or less how teaching worked. One student alone learns better than four, but the four makes the teacher learn better. Maybe I've been mistaken, but that was always how it was explained.

~Chris
Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/15/2006 07:17 PM CST
Dart said that a SING rewrite is on his list after he finishes a few other more pressing matters. I know I'm looking forward to it.

~Minstrel Ascot, et al.
Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/15/2006 07:50 PM CST
Brainstorm on the way home. Obviously it has some problems that would need unkinking.

I propose a PERFORM verb.

In order to do this, the person who wants to sing their song, types PERFORM SONG (or whatever)

Everyone in the room sees Joe is beginning a performance. To give him/her your attention, please LISTEN (or something LISTEN might interfere with the verb already).

So whoever is there, paying attention and doesn't mind hearing a song can type LISTEN (or whatever). People who are AFK or who don't want to be bothered.

So, 20 people in the room. 10 typed LISTEN. These people see the song as typed (or script as performed).

The 10 who did not could see something like Joe is performing his/her song. Joe is continuing his/her song. Less scroll - makes it sort of like an enchante.

When the song is done, the player would STOP PERFORM.

Vocals would be learned based on how many people listened, more people, more movement. At the end of the song, there could also be an APPRECIATE verb, if you think the person did particularly well. Because, of course, when you type LISTEN you won't know if that person will be singing nonsense or not. If you APPRECIATE them, perhaps the learning rate of their vocals would be enhanced.

Problems I noted:

Why would someone type STOP PERFORM. I'm sure there's huge flaws in there somewhere, but perhaps after a certain period with no input of SING, the performance would stop automatically.

Whats to stop someone from doing this with friends? Let's say that there is a timer. No more than 4 LISTENS/APPRECIATES in the span of an hour from the same person. This won't affect people who are performing singing to RP purely for concerts and the such.

Anyway. That's what I thought of.

Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/16/2006 02:19 AM CST
>>I always thought that was more or less how teaching worked. One student alone learns better than four, but the four makes the teacher learn better. Maybe I've been mistaken, but that was always how it was explained.<<

More students should mean all of them learn better, because they are all asking pertinent questions and learning from each other. :)

-Wighten
Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/16/2006 07:42 AM CST
Interesting suggestion, Huldah's Pal. Now- Listen won't work if the listenner is part of a class already. But perhaps Observe or Watch could? Or perhaps let the audience decide whether they want to Listen to the performance or Listen to the class.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/16/2006 07:57 AM CST
>Now- Listen won't work if the listenner is part of a class already. But perhaps Observe or Watch could? Or perhaps let the audience decide whether they want to Listen to the performance or Listen to the class.

Yeah. I just couldn't think of a better verb at the moment, so I just called it LISTEN for purposes of the idea.

Observe is probably the better of the two, but that's a verb already. HEAR doesn't seem to be taken though.

Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/16/2006 08:23 AM CST
i said this forever ago, but i'll say it again.

make sheets of music. easy ones, hard ones, whatever.

treat them as instruments that teach vocal.

ie:

play drums slow
You play your drums slow ::insert RT insert exp gain::

play sheet slow
You sign a slow tune ::insert RT insert exp gain::

A brilliant stream of pure white light jumps from you to Relayer.
It lands a cataclysmic hit against his chest!
As the hammer-shaped light silently explodes, you could swear you hear a voice whisper the word "Justice".
Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/16/2006 10:40 AM CST
How about letting us learn from singing to critters we're pulping? That would work for the majority of the guilds, with only empaths being left out in the cold, but wait! They could learn from singing while their summoned protectors or hypnotized other critters were beating on critters, so all would be well.

Ok, maybe it's just me that would like to learn this way.

Gladiator Maulem~

Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/16/2006 11:04 AM CST
>How about letting us learn from singing to critters we're pulping?

Hmmm, even better, add a bit of risk to the whole equation and have the critters become enraged and come after you if you sing to them. See, then, risk vs. reward for practicing a skill.
Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/16/2006 11:23 AM CST
<<add a bit of risk to the whole equation and have the critters become enraged and come after you if you sing to them>>

I'm ok with this, but what else are they going to do except try to kill me? (which they are already doing very well)
Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/16/2006 12:00 PM CST
>I'm ok with this, but what else are they going to do except try to kill me? (which they are already doing very well)

Actually critters don't normally do this, particularly if there's more than one person in the room. All this would be is like an empath casting Innocence around undead. Sorta fun, actually, and might be a really nice sorta trick for crowd control, actually.
Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/16/2006 12:12 PM CST
Heyo!

Bards actually already have the ability to make everything in the room mad at them instead of somebody else, and yes, it can be quite fun, as long as you aren't the Bard in question.

I've also begun preliminary discussions with the Powers That Be about the planned enchante Siren's Call, which should not only make everything mad at the Bard's singing, but increase their gen rate as well. Uh oh!

As to adding this to singing in general? Probably not. However, adding some musical feats to both instruments and singing is definitely on the agenda. This should include a few fun things for everyone.

- GM Dartenian

Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/16/2006 12:59 PM CST
>This should include a few fun things for everyone.

That would be way cool. I have a couple of charas that like to sing, just for the fun of it. Of course I have a lot of friends IRL who like to sing as well and I've been known to join in a time or two m'self.

Oh, something else that might be doable is a non-bard version of 'sing with' that teaches non-bards singing without them actually doing more than have the bard do a 'sing invite <person>' and the non-bard do a 'sing with <bard>', so basically it would be a way to teach singing in addition to the teach verb ... and would have the added benefit, in addition to role playing, of being able to teach more people if not a whole crowd.

Just my two cents on maybe another means of learning it without spamming the room, at least by anyone other than the bard.
Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/16/2006 02:51 PM CST
i like the idea of having singing to critters teach vocals. although to avoid stepping on bardic toes, it wouldn't affect the critter in any way.

i still remember when in plat that one barbarian fellow used to serenade the swamp trolls...

and i can see this....

a voice sings from the shadows...

"look around, mage, and don'tcha come back no more, no more, no more
i'm gonna stabbity, stabbity you in da back, jack..... "

"Word on the street is, ya been lookin' out for the best interests of the Guild."
Re: how bout a singing addition? 03/16/2006 03:01 PM CST
> i still remember when in plat that one barbarian fellow used to serenade the swamp trolls...

I remember that chap too! I also fondly remember the time shortly after he left, when the singing swamp troll left its swamp on a quest to find its missing singing tutor...

Since then, we've also had Grendy the Dancing Grendel, who sometimes showed up at the northeast gate at night if someone was playing an instrument or singing.

Ah, the good ol' days!

- GM Dartenian

Prev_page Previous 1