teaching 03/08/2006 01:42 PM CST
Thanks for finally making thrown teachible with an either or weapon!

Could we get teach X to teach the currently taught class next?
teaching and magic 3.0 10/09/2010 04:32 AM CDT
Was curious about how teaching the new magics in combat were going to be broken down. I'm assuming tm will open up to everyone, if the guild school advantages are going away. Also wondering which of the new skills would be teachable in combat?
Re: teaching and magic 3.0 10/09/2010 05:00 AM CDT
Well, I don't know if you caught it, but getting a PM class is going to be interesting. If someone who uses a different mana type tries to teach you, you instead learn Sorcery.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi, Gor'Tog Barbarian
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: teaching and magic 3.0 10/09/2010 05:32 AM CDT
PM is going away, do you mean if a different mana type teaches any of the magics but arcana you'll learn sorcery instead?
Re: teaching and magic 3.0 10/09/2010 05:36 AM CDT
> PM is going away,

No it's not. It will have a diminished role, with the new subskills taking over much of its current job, but it will still be there.
Re: teaching and magic 3.0 10/09/2010 05:41 AM CDT
now i'm really confused, i thought pm was being broken up into the sub skills?
Re: teaching and magic 3.0 10/09/2010 05:43 AM CDT
It is, but it will also stick around to give those sub skills a hand.

Check out this post of Armifer's, which contains pretty much all we know about this: http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/Post:Magic_3.0_Overview_-_7/13/2010_-_19:45:27
Re: teaching and magic 3.0 10/09/2010 05:44 AM CDT
from what i've read so far, it looks like PM is going to be taken over by warding, augmentation, debilitation, and utility? at least thats what it looks like.

- confused-

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: teaching and magic 3.0 10/09/2010 05:53 AM CDT
thank you for that link, it was extremely helpful.
Re: teaching and magic 3.0 10/09/2010 06:15 AM CDT
still somewhat confused after i read the article, but i'll have to actually see how to use it once its implemented.

still seems like we'll have to "learn" the magic system all over again.

Just when i finally figured out how to train magic in combat fairly decently <took me only 14 years of playing> and now its gonna change.

..goes off muttering something about old dogs and new tricks...

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: teaching and magic 3.0 10/09/2010 06:26 AM CDT
I should mention that some of the ideas from that post might be out of date. None of the new spell lists have mentioned whether spells are "normal" or "battle", so that distinction might be gone. Of course, none of the spells have been labeled as "ritual", either, but the MM spell list has this tidbit:

>Invocation of Energy
>Advanced Augmentation. Much longer duration, the 2x casting scheme will go away with the advent of the Ritual spell type. No meaningful change to function.

So maybe those categories are still around and just aren't being talked about yet.
Re: teaching and magic 3.0 10/09/2010 01:47 PM CDT
>>So maybe those categories are still around and just aren't being talked about yet.

Yup.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: teaching and magic 3.0 11/13/2010 02:31 AM CST
>>So maybe those categories are still around and just aren't being talked about yet.

>>Yup.

Sorry, but that just gave me a chuckle. THx i've had a rather irritating day and night at work.

Marganus