New skill suggestion. 07/20/2005 11:03 PM CDT
How did barbarians and rangers, bards and mages entertain themselves in midevil times? Dance! We could keep the current dance database as is, using it only for accessory to the main dance, and you would actually learn the lore, dance. A silent interpretive Elothean dance, a high energy Gor'Tog dance, a fast-paced Halfing dance, or even guild based, such as a silent clerical montage! The possibilities are endless! We could simply learn dance, just as we do vocals, or do something more elaborate. You could get better and better with a score of dance verbs, such as they use with juggling. The higher your skill in dance, the better you get, and just include the race (and eventually guild) specifics.

"My friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana, I said No, but I want a regular banana later, so, Yeah."

Mitch Hedberg
Re: New skill suggestion. 07/21/2005 06:56 AM CDT
We are men! Men in tights!

Clerics do dance for a commune already.

But, a nice suggestion.
Re: New skill suggestion. 07/21/2005 04:42 PM CDT
Kind of interesting...might even be nice if "magical" dances were converted to two parts. The mundane action flow (ie, leaping and cavorting around the fire) plus whatever powers the magic (inner fire). Thus, anyone who wanted to learn could dance the barbarian dances but only Barbs would have the ability to power the magical effect of the dance.

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: New skill suggestion. 07/21/2005 05:36 PM CDT
Exactly! Cut and... Print! Who do we talk to to get this done?

One of the shadowlings trots over and smacks the other upside the head with its paw. The offended party mewls piteously and fades into the darkness.

A shadowling exclaims "Ya dumas!"
Re: New skill suggestion. 07/21/2005 06:18 PM CDT
Not against the idea, but it sort of falls with music skills for me right now- they just don't do much for me. I can't make something with the skill, can't get somewhere better, can't earn coin and am not better in combat. Music (and dance) become essentially character fluff.

I imagine that there are players who would still enjoy it, but I wonder if it won't have a very narrow appeal?

Please understand- not a knock to the idea- would love to have it fleshed out in a way that would broaden its appeal.

Flavius
Re: New skill suggestion. 07/22/2005 09:19 AM CDT
If one was able to utilize individual dance commands without going into an entire performance, I'd get a lot of use out of this idea.

Like a quick shuffle to turn around and leave the room, adding a little flair after casting a spell, pretending to dance with a creature, etc...

Either way, I'm for it.