scholarship and the library 07/06/2004 07:23 PM CDT
does anyone else experience learning from some books but not others? Is it only newer books? I find its a crap shoot whether i learn from scholarship from a book in the library or not. For instance I read the entire "The Immortals' the other night, its been years since my character has read that book and during the time i read it, I went from thoughtful to learning. On the other hand some books seem to teach very well.

Flavius
Re: scholarship and the library 07/06/2004 07:32 PM CDT
Did you take your time reading the whole book? Or did you just scan it? When the scholarship teaching was raised the GM did say something about skimmers not getting the full benefit of the change.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: scholarship and the library 07/06/2004 08:11 PM CDT
Hit me up at DRKOLAISA sometime and I'll share with you some of my findings on this matter. I'm usually able to get real close to ML if not ML with around 115 scholarship ranks from reading from the libraries. If you want to test on your own, don't read so fast. It's all about timers.

Kolaisa

Stabbity, block, you go thud.

Drive fast, take risks.
Re: scholarship and the library 07/07/2004 02:33 PM CDT
I was reading pretty slowly, like 10-30 seconds a page, and frankly didn't learn anything(and the Immortals is a fairly long book so had plenty of pages). I have noticed with certain books I don't seem to learn anything at all. Other books I learn just fine on.

However, if no one else is having this problem it may just be my technique.

Thanks for the responses

Flavius
Re: scholarship and the library 07/07/2004 03:33 PM CDT
I would like to see a couple of private libraries in hard to get to places that is basically pay to get into or offer something to get into. Put books and tombs in there that take a skill check to read. something like a scholarship/wisdom/int check and let them teach much better than average.

Just A Cleric
Re: scholarship and the library 08/29/2004 12:57 AM CDT
I'm using the libraries as my main source of scholarship at mid 50's quite well. I have a script setup right now that works in crossing and haven (the only places I have checked out the libraries) that pretty much goes like this:

find a book that is 15+ pages
read each page for 5 seconds
close the book and check exp
if yer locked, it'll drain, otherwise, get the next book

Here it is right now, maybe it'll help some people, seems to work well for me.

# Scholarship - Various Libraries
# Define a library at the command line
# Currently supported
#
# Crossing Academy - use "cross"
# Riverhaven Academy - use "river"

goto %1

cross:

counter set 1

cross_1:

pause
put get HsHH
wait
goto reading

cross_2:

pause
put get MrsTC1
wait
goto reading

cross_3:

pause
put get FtvNJ
wait
goto reading

cross_4:

pause
put get HsPOW
wait
goto reading

cross_5:

pause
put get HhdSD
wait
goto reading

cross_6:

pause
put get RacAGHC
wait
goto reading

cross_7:

pause
put get RxxGD
wait
goto reading

cross_8:

pause
put get RcnGT3
wait
goto reading

cross_9:

goto %1

river:

counter set 1

river_1:

pause
put get HRagrwI
wait
goto reading

river_2:

pause
put get MRprTD
wait
goto reading

river_3:

pause
put get MRsvSKA
wait
goto reading

river_4:

pause
put get HRssh
wait
goto reading

river_5:

pause
put get BxxWMP
wait
goto reading

river_6:

pause
put get HRwvtBHA
wait
goto reading

river_7:

pause
put get HRsHH
wait
goto reading

river_8:

pause
put get HRmsEF
wait
goto reading

river_9:

goto %1

reading:
put open book
wait
put read
put 1
pause 5
put 2
pause 5
put 3
pause 5
put 4
pause 5
put 5
pause 5
put 6
pause 5
put 7
pause 5
put 8
pause 5
put 9
pause 5
put 10
pause 5
put 11
pause 5
put 12
pause 5
put 13
pause 5
put 14
pause 5
put 15
pause 5
put q
wait
put put book on she
wait
goto check

check:

pause
counter add 1
pause 5
put exp scholarship
match sleep mind lock
match %1%_%c Time
matchwait

sleep:

pause 180
goto %1%_%c

If you can following scripting, you can see it's pretty easy to add any library you want if you know the call numbers for the books. It's pretty boring and could be easily modified to do other things, I just haven't gotten around to it yet :)

Azlyr
Re: scholarship and the library 08/29/2004 07:49 AM CDT
Nice script, Azlyr. When reading it, I realized that if either a) you're a fast reader or b) you increase the number of seconds per page, you could use this to actually read the books. My memory is crap and I forget most of that stuff as soon as I read it, so I end up going back to the library all the time to read it again.
Re: scholarship and the library 09/02/2004 12:47 AM CDT
Screw books! get out and kill something and maybe you can read engravings on your sword.....

"The first rule of magic is simple. Don't waste your time waving your
hands and hoping when a rock or a club will do."
-- Realmswalker the Lucid

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife in the shoulder blades will seriously
cramp his style.
Re: scholarship and the library 11/12/2004 07:30 PM CST
Better way to learn scholarship is:

You get an origami-paper envelope from inside your twill backpack.
>pull my envelope
You get a sheet of plain origami paper from your envelope.
>put envelope in my back
You put your envelope in your twill backpack.
>study gryphon instructions
You study your gryphon instructions and begin to fold.
Roundtime: 10 sec.
>poke my paper
You poke a piece of paper, and realizing it has no value whatsoever, toss it away.

And do it again. It works like every other repetitive action for gaining ranks in DR; juggling, foraging, studying oragami instructions, etc.

Librarys...nice idea, but this works the best for getting scholarship, locked, stock and barrel.

And heck, you can always fold the stuff if you want the mech.

Gidske
Re: scholarship and the library 11/13/2004 08:54 AM CST
sure, better for when your. "on in years" and need some wipper snapper to hold your weapon arm up and can drop the cash on orogami ;).. but libraries are quick and easy and free at lower levels

think Can you hear me now?
think good!

Ravanos "I hate water" Covet Battlepriest of Everild
Re: scholarship and the library 12/10/2004 06:48 PM CST
I can still go from clear to mind lock at 180+ in scholarship using embroidery patterns. It takes a while but it works. If you are just going to be hanging out and talking with someone, teach or listen to class and make a script to study the pattern once every 62 seconds. Between the class and the pattern studying you will learn fairly decent.

If you are at the point of buying origami envelopes just suck it up and pay the 200 plat for a spellbook, they teach insanely fast. I had a chance to borrow one a few weeks back and I was impressed.
Re: scholarship and the library 12/22/2004 12:20 AM CST
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm rather new at writing scripts so I don't quite understand all of it. First off, thank you so much Azlyr for writing a script that, once I can get it to work, will be a great asset. However, I seem to be having some difficulty with using it. My understanding was that there was only one parameter to enter, whether it be cross or river, depending on which town you're in. While using it in The Crossing I can't seem to get past the first book. I get to the end of the first book, the experience in my scholarship displays and then it I get the message, "GOTO label not found!"

Am I doing something wrong? If not, I'm assuming something has changed since you wrote this almost four months ago. Not quite sure what, but I could use a little help in fixing this up so I can use it. Any insight would be appreciated.

Jackius "Jack Daft"
Elven Bard Circle 23
Re: scholarship and the library 12/23/2004 12:55 PM CST
Well you may disregard my last post as I'm a dummy. I took the second percentage sign out of the variable %1%_%c and all works. Just took me a bit to learn how to understand scripting.
Re: scholarship and the library 12/25/2004 06:01 PM CST
Better way to learn scholarship is:

You get an origami-paper envelope from inside your twill backpack.
>pull my envelope
You get a sheet of plain origami paper from your envelope.
>put envelope in my back
You put your envelope in your twill backpack.
>study gryphon instructions
You study your gryphon instructions and begin to fold.
Roundtime: 10 sec.
>poke my paper
You poke a piece of paper, and realizing it has no value whatsoever, toss it away.

Okay, but how do you actually make a gryphon from the paper?
I'm about to try origami for the first time. See if I'm any better at that than Embroidery.

Kobmand

I'm juggling, trading and also trading in juggling.
Re: scholarship and the library 12/25/2004 07:08 PM CST
>Okay, but how do you actually make a gryphon from the paper?

After you do the initial fold (study __ instructions) you then "fold my paper" until finished.
Jalika

You hear a female voice whisper, "Easily used when offered, probably is like other men. Always speaking with their muscles, and not the one that rests between their ears."
Re: scholarship and the library 06/26/2005 02:30 PM CDT
>>I can still go from clear to mind lock at 180+ in scholarship using embroidery patterns.

Wait, you're kidding, right? How? Last time I got some wolf patterns from the embroidery shop, I couldnt lock, and I have 111 scholarship. Also, the patterns kept getting used up. Could you give some clarification, on if there are some super embroidery patterns I dont know about?

Call me baby-face Lei.
Re: scholarship and the library 06/26/2005 03:23 PM CDT
Get three or four patterns and rotate between them. As soon as one clears your mind switch to another. Takes a bit to get it locked but once you do it's pretty easy to keep it locked

Strangeguard Prayermaster

You gesture at a sand sprite.
Its head soars through the air as its neck is entirely destroyed!
A sand sprite slowly falls to the ground, moaning in despair, shuddering in pain before taking her last breath.
Re: scholarship and the library 07/16/2005 11:55 AM CDT
Thats not making a lot of sense to me. Swapping patterns teaches more than just studying the same one after its cleared your mind? Sitting here for 5 minutes studying the same pattern after it clears my mind and I am at muddled, this is from thoughtful. 84 ranks as a tert skill :chorte: Definately need a bit better way to train it. If swapping patterns after every study helps well, then I might try it. Too bad we can't chain study/swap patterns like the old days :sigh: I know some people that have crazy scholarship as a result of that little feature.

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website!!

Quote of the moment >> "Don't steal, the government doesn't like competition"