appraisal 04/22/2003 09:21 AM CDT
is there any chance that we might be able to see more things with appraisal? specifically, i am asking about appraising other players. i can appraise a troll, fen, seord'moer, and all kinds of other critters and see how their abilities stack up with mine: whether it is a mythical creature that i couldnt dream of defeating or not. why cant i do that with other players? why can i only see what they are wearing?

beajor
Old appraisal vs. new? 04/17/2007 10:38 PM CDT
I just started playing again after a long, long time. Needless to say, things have changed since the old days. Now when I appraise a weapon or piece of armor, I do not get any good details. I don't get the weapon P/S/I readout. Is this gone entirely, or do I need a certain rank of appraisal to see that now? If so, how many ranks?
Re: Old appraisal vs. new? 04/17/2007 11:38 PM CDT
>>I just started playing again after a long, long time. Needless to say, things have changed since the old days. Now when I appraise a weapon or piece of armor, I do not get any good details. I don't get the weapon P/S/I readout. Is this gone entirely, or do I need a certain rank of appraisal to see that now? If so, how many ranks?

Its now a combination of ranks in appraisal and ranks in weapons.

you now have 3 choices for appraisal as well. There's the normal appraisal

>app scim
A scimitar is a medium edged melee-ranged weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
poor puncture damage
heavy slice damage
low impact damage

You are certain that the scimitar is fairly balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the scimitar is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

The scimitar is made with metal.
The scimitar feels light.
You are certain that the scimitar is worth exactly 420 lirums.

Thats the normal appraisal with just "app scim"

Than there is the "app scim quick":

You guess that it could do:
poor puncture damage
heavy slice damage
poor impact damage

You wonder if the scimitar is poorly balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the scimitar is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

Roundtime: 5 seconds.

Which as you can tell, doesn't show much on the certain aspect of things.

Than there is "app scim careful"

>app scim careful

You are certain that it could do:
poor puncture damage
heavy slice damage
low impact damage

You are certain that the scimitar is fairly balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

Roundtime: 16 seconds.

Notice on the three of them, the difference is the roundtime. Which I highlighted.

with 190's in ME and 167 in appraisal. I can't get weight on things yet. Even with app careful.

Somethings I can like gems and such, but bigger things, I can't yet.

I hope that helps some?

~Dalkin~
Re: Old appraisal vs. new? 04/18/2007 01:21 PM CDT
I have 70 ranks in Heavy Edged and 40 ranks in Appraisal. At what point do you think I'll be able to start getting actual P/S/I values?
Re: Old appraisal vs. new? 04/18/2007 01:34 PM CDT
About 50 appraisal.

The ability to see damage/protection values seems to be independent of weapon/armor skill. It's the chance of getting accurate appraisals that said ranks affect.
Re: Old appraisal vs. new? 04/18/2007 04:04 PM CDT
If you still have low appraisal, a lot of other things are available for you to appraise now (some don't have the quick/careful option):

critters (although there's a rank minimum before you can attempt this)

swimming (only works with the full exit name (ie, APPRAISE EAST works but APPRAISE E doesn't), only works if the destination is a swimming room, and does not have quick/careful options (RT is always 8 seconds or whatever it drops to with skill))

climbing (has messaging that actually gives you a bonus to your climbing skill)

instruments (bard-only, everyone else just gets the plain-item variety that doesn't teach like origami teaches scholarship/ML)

trader jewelry (trader-only, works like instruments in that non-traders just get the plain-item appraisal rather than the complete appraisal of all the gems and jewels in the piece)

All other items, I believe, are just variations on generic item-value appraisal.

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Old appraisal vs. new? 04/18/2007 07:29 PM CDT
Gem pouches.

X
Re: Old appraisal vs. new? 04/18/2007 11:08 PM CDT
>critters (although there's a rank minimum before you can attempt this)

10 ranks. And most people swear by this method. There is a timer on learning from a critter, but it's so long you're better off app <critter> quick for each critter, and then just killing them, and app <critter> quick for each new one.
Re: Old appraisal vs. new? 04/18/2007 11:18 PM CDT
11:15pm

Appraisal: 166 65.06% learning

Appraising 1 peccary in Langenfirth, around the Fendryad area.

11:16pm

Appraisal: 166 65% concentrating

same peccary still, only one in the room.

11:17pm

Appraisal: 166 65% perplexed

still same peccary

Appraisal: 166 66.44% mind lock

right before 11:18pm

I don't see how 2 minutes is to long to mind lock? I'll even give it a shot with my moonie later that has a LOT less appraisal ranks than my thief does.

~Dalkin~
Re: Old appraisal vs. new? 04/18/2007 11:43 PM CDT
>>instruments (bard-only, everyone else just gets the plain-item variety that doesn't teach like origami teaches scholarship/ML)

I remember using a very early of Aveeda's reckus script to play instruments (and if you aren't familiar with it and you play an instrument you should. It just rocks). It includes appraising instruments as it was writen for bards. What can I say, I wanted a script to learn the instruments for my cleric. So I used it before she had a non-bard version posted. And I have to say, appraising an instrument is a pretty decent way to learn appraisal even for a non-bard! I assume though that it will stop teaching after a while, probably 200 ranks I am guessing, kinda like gem pouches. But it's one of the few things I can do while playing an instrument, and I like that

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

-At the cleric meeting-
DARTENIAN says, "I think we all need to get down and pray for bit-based experience."
>DARTENIAN clears his throat.
Re: Old appraisal vs. new? 04/19/2007 03:34 AM CDT
>> 10 ranks.

Try 80.

I tested it personally. You learn for crap prior to 80 ranks. After that, your appraisal will fly. I tested it with both a lore prime and a lore secondary guild.

Rev. Reene

<Reene> Clerics whine because they're survival tert.
<Tortolia> screw them. I'm survival awesome.
Re: Old appraisal vs. new? 04/19/2007 06:22 AM CDT
now if only my trader could find a critter to appraise that wouldn't easily kill him

appraisal 253

highest weapon 68

"Word on the street is, ya been lookin' out for the best interests of the Guild."
Re: Old appraisal vs. new? 04/19/2007 07:45 AM CDT
>Try 80.

>I tested it personally. You learn for crap prior to 80 ranks. After that, your appraisal will fly. I tested it with both a lore prime and a lore secondary guild.

I'd just like to make sure I'm understanding, since I've got 79 56% ranks of appraisal. Are you saying that, at 80 ranks appraisal, I will be able to learn it in combat, and well at that? This news would make my day.

Axillus - Halfling Warrior Mage
>You charge your steel-toed footwrap at a musk hog.
Re: Old appraisal vs. new? 04/19/2007 07:52 AM CDT
I've never had any problems with any character learning appraisal. If you are big enough to hunt creepers, go fill up 3 gem pouches and appraise away.

Player of Adakin Sothir

>prep sdg
You being chanting a prayer to invoke the Slow Down Greatly spell and your mind wanders slightly to remember what Halt used to be like.

"Killing Time Murders Opportunities."
Re: Old appraisal vs. new? 04/19/2007 08:53 AM CDT
>> 10 ranks.

>Try 80.

>I tested it personally. You learn for crap prior to 80 ranks. After that, your appraisal will fly. I tested it with both a lore prime and a lore secondary guild.

To be fair, you can't even appraise critters until you have 10 ranks, which is what they were probably saying.

However, I agree with you on 80 ranks to make it a viable method of training appraisal. I can only speak for lore secondary.

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: Old appraisal vs. new? 04/19/2007 09:10 AM CDT
So I can sell my 5 plat pouch and not have to worry about the Dwarf telling me to pay my dues to get my stuff in the vault? Woohoo!

Axillus - Halfling Warrior Mage
>You charge your steel-toed footwrap at a musk hog.
Re: Old appraisal vs. new? 04/19/2007 11:15 AM CDT
Appraisal pouches will take you to 180 ranks.

~Arwinia

You are Shrimpstar, a Prydaen Bard.
You have pointed ears and cat-slitted clear colored eyes. Your amber mane is short and thick, and is worn tousled. You have grey fur and a slender tail.
You look tired.

You are wearing nothing special.
Re: Old appraisal vs. new? 04/19/2007 12:14 PM CDT
>>There is a timer on learning from a critter, but it's so long you're better off app <critter> quick for each critter, and then just killing them, and app <critter> quick for each new one.

No there isn't. If there was one it has been removed a long time ago. APP <critter> QUICK x 3 keeps me ML at 200 ranks.

>>I tested it personally. You learn for crap prior to 80 ranks. After that, your appraisal will fly. I tested it with both a lore prime and a lore secondary guild.

I definitely agree that critter appraisal isn't worthwhile at first for lore primaries, but this definitely isn't the case for tertiaries. I got to 20 on a gem pouch and have been locking on critters with my Barbarian ever since. When your pool is that small you can start critters earlier.
Re: Old appraisal vs. new? 04/19/2007 12:46 PM CDT
>>Appraisal pouches will take you to 180 ranks.

Very slowly maybe, and I mean very very slowly. A 16 plat gem pouch, wouldn't take me over learning in my mind state with appraisal. I tried, many many many times. I stick to critter appraising now more than anything.

~Dalkin~
Re: Old appraisal vs. new? 04/19/2007 06:07 PM CDT
>>Very slowly maybe, and I mean very very slowly. A 16 plat gem pouch, wouldn't take me over learning in my mind state with appraisal. I tried, many many many times. I stick to critter appraising now more than anything.

That's funny, I NEVER had a problem keeping appraisal locked up until I capped pouches at 180 ranks. Now critter appraisal keeps me locked by just appraising <critter> quick one every rotation at well over 300 ranks.

~Arwinia

You are Shrimpstar, a Prydaen Bard.
You have pointed ears and cat-slitted clear colored eyes. Your amber mane is short and thick, and is worn tousled. You have grey fur and a slender tail.
You look tired.

You are wearing nothing special.
Re: Old appraisal vs. new? 04/19/2007 06:28 PM CDT
>> Are you saying that, at 80 ranks appraisal, I will be able to learn it in combat, and well at that?

Yes.

Try it before and after, there is a drastic difference in how much you'll learn.

Rev. Reene

<Reene> Clerics whine because they're survival tert.
<Tortolia> screw them. I'm survival awesome.
Re: Old appraisal vs. new? 04/19/2007 07:06 PM CDT
like i said, with 250s appraisal my trader doesn't learn from anything he can hunt

if he didn't have trader jewelry to learn it from, he would be pretty stuck

"Word on the street is, ya been lookin' out for the best interests of the Guild."
Re: Old appraisal vs. new? 04/19/2007 10:09 PM CDT
>>>like i said, with 250s appraisal my trader doesn't learn from anything he can hunt

Have to agree with the Gonif here. As a lore-prime bard with appraisal in the mid-300s, I can't hit more than learning appraising critters that I can hunt with my low-mid 200 weapons and mid-200 defenses.

Tried appraising every fendryad, swamp troll, and peccary I fought for about 20 minutes to confirm my memories. Every appraisal was "appraise critter quick", every appraisal performed at melee range. Appraised every interation of my weapon pattern, so circle-elbow-shove-appr-repeat, draw-sweep-slice-chop-appr-repeat, etc. Never got above pondering that I saw and was in the learning/thoughtful range most experience chacks, though I wasn't checking experience every time I finished an appraisal, only every time I finished off a critter.

Problem is that lore-primes move lores faster than their combats and you need to be appraising things that are a challenge to your appraisal, not to your combats to get decent experiance from the appraisal. Probably works great for lore-tertiary and pretty well for lore-secondary though.

Meigs
Re: Old appraisal vs. new? 04/19/2007 10:19 PM CDT
>>Problem is that lore-primes move lores faster than their combats and you need to be appraising things that are a challenge to your appraisal, not to your combats to get decent experiance from the appraisal. Probably works great for lore-tertiary and pretty well for lore-secondary though.

Experience granted from appraisal is independent of the creature's weapon defenses, perception, or anything else.

My aforementioned Barb with 200ish appraisal can mind lock in rats.

The problem is probably drain rate and pool size. I'll agree appraising critters as a Bard can't hold a candle to appraising instruments.
Re: Old appraisal vs. new? 04/20/2007 11:06 AM CDT
>Have to agree with the Gonif here.

>Tried appraising every fendryad, swamp troll, and peccary I fought for about 20 minutes to confirm my memories. Every appraisal was "appraise critter quick", every appraisal performed at melee range. Appraised every interation of my weapon pattern, so circle-elbow-shove-appr-repeat, draw-sweep-slice-chop-appr-repeat, etc.

You know, it isn't just lore primaries that run into this. My moon mage train appraisal fairly high out of combat and now has trouble moving it when he fights. Combat skills are in the 300s with his appraisal, but appraisal just doesn't move that quickly and other skills are outpacing it.
Re: Old appraisal vs. new? 04/20/2007 11:49 AM CDT
appraise <critter> quick
wait 3 seconds
appraise <critter> quick
(as soon as possible after the 1st RT is up)
wait for exp appraisal to pulse up, ie from clear to thoughtful... then repeat.

I get pulses from very muddled to perplexed.

(Lore tertiary but the bump from very muddled to perplexed is WAY WAY better than I get from foraging and I manage to lock that skill just fine... my foraging and appraisal are within one rank of each other)
Re: Old appraisal vs. new? 04/20/2007 01:10 PM CDT
You can't learn from appraising back to back unless you do some damage first.
Re: Old appraisal vs. new? 04/20/2007 01:29 PM CDT
<<You can't learn from appraising back to back unless you do some damage first.

I've found my results to differ from this statement.
Re: Old appraisal vs. new? 04/20/2007 02:25 PM CDT
You realize the exp award isn't immediate? With that in mind, try testing again. Every time I've tested I've seen the same thing.
Re: Old appraisal vs. new? 04/20/2007 02:40 PM CDT
<<You realize the exp award isn't immediate? With that in mind, try testing again. Every time I've tested I've seen the same thing.

Are these tests proof enough for you?

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning
Appraisal: XXX 21.45% clear

>app pecc quick
You are certain that the

[Roundtime: 3 seconds]
>app pecc quick
You are certain that the

>
>hide
>
You melt into the background, convinced that your attempt to hide went unobserved.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
>exp app

>exp app

Appraisal: XXX 21.45% pondering

You rub the orb and feel a strange tugging, but nothing really seems to happen. You sense you are lacking in the type of sacrifice the orb requires.

>exp app

>
>app pecc quick
You are certain that the

>
>exp app

Appraisal: XXX 21.45% thoughtful

I've done this about 4 or 5 times with the exact same result everytime (using a favor orb to rid myself of experience).
Re: Old appraisal vs. new? 04/20/2007 04:38 PM CDT
>You can't learn from appraising back to back unless you do some damage first.

I can lock Appraisal at just over 200 ranks (Lore secondary, 40 Wisdom and Intelligence) in under 1 minute.

App leuc quick, app leuc careful, repeat. One leucro, commands entered as fast as the roundtime expires. Sounds like I could do it even faster by removing the careful appraisal from what I've read here. Trust us, this really really works. Probably better than it should.

~ Celestian Kougen Aensworth, Advisor of Ilithi

>cast wall
You gesture.
Several motes of light gather, briefly forming a minute version of the enigma of the Fourth Wall before collapsing into a translucent iridescent sphere.
Re: Old appraisal vs. new? 04/20/2007 04:52 PM CDT
Sounds like I was wrong then. However, even back to back appraising quickly doesn't really move me at 350 ranks. (99 intelligence 58 wisdom)
Re: Old appraisal vs. new? 04/20/2007 05:03 PM CDT
<<However, even back to back appraising quickly doesn't really move me at 350 ranks.

It is possible to cap a creature on appraisal as I understand it (I learn much better appraising peccs than I do from a blood wolf). So if you're getting all certains on the appraisal you are either close to capping EXP from that creature (appraisal-wise that is) or have actually capped it.

Being lore tert my appraisal will likely always be lower than my combats so I (likely) won't run into a problem, but if your appraisal is higher than your combats I see potential for problems learning there. Also, if you get some bonus to appraising maybe it's a problem similar to rangers' skinning learning rates (can't learn unless you botch the attempt).
Re: Old appraisal vs. new? 04/20/2007 05:20 PM CDT
Appraisal: 207 87% clear

(Insert about 3 minutes of appraising a Kobold in the manner I described above)

Appraisal: 207 87% muddled

Stronger critters teach much better, but it doesn't look like they ever cap.

~ Celestian Kougen Aensworth, Advisor of Ilithi

>cast wall
You gesture.
Several motes of light gather, briefly forming a minute version of the enigma of the Fourth Wall before collapsing into a translucent iridescent sphere.