Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Stealth Appraisal 09/15/2003 10:51 AM CDT
Sweet I like both ideas.

Catullus
Appraisal, two questions 06/12/2004 12:44 PM CDT
I'm a fairly unskilled appraiser and I rarely, if ever, get a certain when appraising an item. Can the other messages be counted on as approximately correct? I would think that 'you are confident' would count more than 'you guess', but I just don't know. Does somebody know the hierarchy here? I'm just trying to ballpark weapon comparisons and I want to know if the halberd I find is better than the one I'm carrying.

Secondly, there are many shops around Elanthia that sell weapons and armor that I've never heard of (e.g. the expensive weapons shop in Leth). Is there any way to appraise these items before you buy? I don't really care about getting an estimate of their damage values, but I would like to know if I'm buying a heavy edged or a medium edged. And if you ask a shopkeeper about a certain item, some will just respond with 'Yup, that's on page 3 in the catalog.'

Thanks,
Ealner
Re: Appraisal, two questions 06/12/2004 02:07 PM CDT
There are a number of shops that have items on display so one may appraise them before purchase. Among them are the weapon shops of Muspar'i, Noel's Arms in Haven, and the weapon and survival shops in Ilithi.

As far as appraisal itself goes, the only message that is really trustworthy is anything accompanied by 'certain'.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Appraisal, two questions 06/12/2004 05:49 PM CDT
>>As far as appraisal itself goes, the only message that is really trustworthy is anything accompanied by 'certain'.

This is a 100%, always-correct value? I tend to get certains fairly uncommonly and never more than one per appraisal, but I could have sworn some of the actual values differed from certain to certain.
J'Lo, no that other one
Re: Appraisal, two questions 06/12/2004 06:08 PM CDT
You are certain ... worth exactly....
Re: Appraisal, two questions 06/13/2004 04:00 AM CDT
Certain accompanied by about is usually fairly close.

I was taking a walk in the park when this post said I stole its purse. I tried to get away, but it just kept on coming. So I had to beat it to death with this purse I found.
-MOD-ILEDEMUS

Re: Appraisal, two questions 06/13/2004 05:51 AM CDT
Well, 'confident' accompanied by 'about' is fairly close too, I get the correct appraisals with confident about half of the time. Oh, and if you appraise armor, then 'You feel certain' should be the correct appraisal. I was confused by the word 'feel' there, I wanted to 'be' certain.

Lyonet, a woman such as yourself.
Re: Appraisal, two questions 06/16/2004 05:54 PM CDT
>I was confused by the word 'feel' there, I wanted to 'be' certain.

A certain is not 100%.. it is very close though.

You are confident that the ring's finely crafted bronze is worth about 81 kronars, 65 lirums, or 58 dokoras.
You are certain that the ring's ineptly polished agate is worth exactly 650 kronars, 520 lirums, or 469 dokoras.
It appears that the agate ring can be worn around the finger.
You are confident that the agate ring might weigh a few tens of stones.
You are certain that the agate ring is worth exactly 1062 kronars, 850 lirums, or 766 dokoras.
Roundtime: 5 seconds.

And...
You feel certain that some heavy oxhide teamster gloves appear to impose no maneuvering hindrance and offers:
poor protection and poor damage absorption for puncture attacks.
poor protection and poor damage absorption for slice attacks.
poor protection and poor damage absorption for impact attacks.
poor protection and poor damage absorption for fire attacks.
poor protection and poor damage absorption for cold attacks.
low protection and poor damage absorption for electrical attacks.

but depending on the stats it is possible to get a moderate that reads as a good or a good that reads as a moderate. This only happens on player made goods, as a general rule, but it can happen.

Hope this helps. Oh and I am exceptional savant in appraisal.
"Friends don't let their friends buy Micro$oft."
Appraisal Training. 06/19/2006 05:18 PM CDT
I just recently returned to the realms after being gone for a little over a year. My appraisal was 130 when I left and I was learning pretty decently from appraising full gem pouches. Did something about appraisal change since I left because this doesn't seem to teach me well anymore? What is a good way to train appraisal now?
Re: Appraisal Training. 06/19/2006 05:33 PM CDT
Critters, horses, climbing objects, swimming directions (ie, into a room flagged as water), expensive items. All of these should be teaching you quite well for a bit/long while more. Braiding grass/vines also teaches, but has probably already wound down at your ranks.

Gem pouches (plural) should still work, but you need to have ever-more expensive gems in it, not just a bigger value total. So sayeth teh Apu, at least.

J'Lo, no that other one
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Appraisal Training. 06/19/2006 06:03 PM CDT
Also try quick, careful options. Quick should be starting to teach you more than just apping or apping careful.

~ Player of Lyathe & Zarata
Re: Appraisal Training. 06/20/2006 08:40 AM CDT
If you're a hunter, try appraise (critter) quick as they come into the room.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

Re: Appraisal Training. 06/22/2006 09:13 PM CDT
I stoppe dappraising things unless I actually need to know about them (comparing weapons) long ago. Critters work wonderfully after you8 hit your hundreds. You can often get 2-3 appraise quicks each on them as you advance them or they you. I usually keep my apprais locked most of the time Im hunting.
Appraisal Question 11/06/2006 08:41 AM CST
What determines when you can start to see more detail on weapons, meaning the puncture/slice/impact, balance, and suitability for strength? I just was able to start to see those values when appraising my flail, with 60 in 2HB and 48 in appraisal. However, when I appraise my bastard sword, either in 2HE (61) or HE (60), all I see is "The bastard sword appears generally best suited for slicing attacks."

What's going on?
Re: Appraisal Question 11/06/2006 09:37 AM CST
It's a combination of appraisal skill and the ammount of skill you have in the weapon. And bastard swords, because of the swappability, can be rather strange beasts as far as appraisals go. Have you tried appraising carefully?

Ryeka

Re: Appraisal Question 11/06/2006 09:54 AM CST
Ryeka, you're just everywhere, aren't you? :)

After your reply, I tried appraising my skinning knife, though I have only 14 ranks of LE, and found I could guess at its stats. Same for a stout short sword after a few tries. Then I tried my bastard sword again, and this time it worked. I tried it a few more times and I was able to get a rough appraisal of its stats every time. So I wonder why it didn't work the first four or five times I tried it, and the skinning knife did.

Are bastard swords tricky or something?

While I'm on this topic, any idea what ranks I need to get fairly precise appraisals of my weapons?
Re: Appraisal Question 11/06/2006 11:05 AM CST
>While I'm on this topic, any idea what ranks I need to get fairly precise appraisals of my weapons?

With 200 combined app and weapon/armor (on non swappable weapons) using careful and holding the weapon/armor you'll start to get a few certains and most of the info will be ball park correct. By 300 combined I'm pretty sure you'll get certains under ideal conditions every time. I've got 430 combined app and HE and I still don't get weights, not even guesses, so the system has a nice wide range of scaling.

~Ranger Hanryu, Sword of House Calibanor
>However, elements of the Solomon junta still control the hills outside the capital. - Armifer
Re: Appraisal Question 11/07/2006 09:01 AM CST
So, is it a fact that swappable weapons are more difficult to appraise?
Re: Appraisal Question 11/07/2006 09:11 AM CST
>>So, is it a fact that swappable weapons are more difficult to appraise?

Yup. Swappable weapons are great for reducing burden for people who train lots of weapons, but they do have their little bugginesses.

Ryeka

Re: Appraisal learning 05/12/2011 06:22 AM CDT
I'm moving this thread over to the Lore category under the Appraisal Skill topic where it will be more likely seen by appropriate GMs.

Wordan
DragonRealms Board Monitor

If you have questions or comments, please email me at MOD-Wordan@play.net or Senior Board Monitor Sidatura at (DR-Sidatura@play.net) or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl (DR-Annwyl@play.net).
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page