Engineering 06/07/2014 07:57 PM CDT
Sooo.. some questions and comments and suggestions for carving. (think this is the right place)

First... working with stone and bone (equivalent workability/tier of difficulty) doesn't seem to train the same. Stone seems to work off of your base ranks, and bone works off your techniques/career status. This isn't a bad thing since it means that stone could potentially train far longer than bone.. but it is definitely an oddity.

Second.. the stats on a lot of the items just flat out don't make sense. Take bone hauberks for example. The difference between the three options, segmented (tier 7), notched (tier 8), and ribbed (tier 9), is really weird. I used wolf-bone just to test them. And the difficulty tier 9 ribbed hauberk has less protection than the tier 7.. and out of all of them the tier 8 notched hauberk seems to be the best option. (these are all masterful by the way). So maybe the difference will grow with better materials.. but at this point you would think you would see some difference between them.. with a logical progression in stats improving as you become a better engineer.. (stats are posted at the bottom) If it is meant to just be a difference in how they look, then the stats should be the same.

Another thing.. is that the techniques to reinforce the armor.. is that just a behind the scenes adjustment if you have the tech? or is it something we do to the armor after it is done? and if so.. can we get info on it? or is it not implemented yet?

Can bone/stone weapons be taken to a weaponsmith and have their techniques for honing or balancing, etc.. performed upon them?

I absolutely loved the idea brought up after last nights intro to the siege toys.. about having some of them be able to be carved by engineers.

can we get a way to analyze stone/bone to have it show before we start working on it how well we will be able to work with it.. like a skill vs workability check? like have it say something along the lines of.. "you are certain you could make a masterful tier 3 item out of the large diamondique rock.. anything more difficult will probably not produce the best results."

Anyways.. just some random thoughts/concerns.

You feel certain that a segmented wolf-bone hauberk appears to impose moderate(7) maneuvering hindrance and fair(5) stealth hindrance, offering:
very good(6) protection and somewhat fair(4) damage absorption for puncture attacks.
very good(6) protection and somewhat fair(4) damage absorption for slice attacks.
very good(6) protection and somewhat fair(4) damage absorption for impact attacks.
fair protection and low damage absorption for fire attacks.
fair protection and poor damage absorption for cold attacks.
fair protection and poor damage absorption for electrical attacks.

You feel certain that a wolf-bone notched hauberk appears to impose moderate maneuvering hindrance(7) and fair stealth hindrance(5), offering:
very good(6) protection and somewhat fair(4) damage absorption for puncture attacks.
very good(6) protection and fair(5) damage absorption for slice attacks.
very good(6) protection and somewhat fair(4) damage absorption for impact attacks.
fair(3) protection and poor(2) damage absorption for fire attacks.
fair protection and poor damage absorption for cold attacks.
fair protection and poor damage absorption for electrical attacks.

You feel certain that a wolf-bone ribbed hauberk appears to impose moderate maneuvering(7) hindrance and fair(5) stealth hindrance, offering:
good protection(5) and somewhat fair(4) damage absorption for puncture attacks.
very good protection(6) and somewhat fair(4) damage absorption for slice attacks.
very good protection(6) and fair(5) damage absorption for impact attacks.
fair protection and poor(2) damage absorption for fire attacks.
fair protection and poor(2) damage absorption for cold attacks.
fair protection and low(3) damage absorption for electrical attacks.
Re: Engineering 06/08/2014 04:21 AM CDT
The three flavors or armor have their stats weighted slightly differently, there is no "best". You don't make the "best" armor by making the most difficult item, you make it by using the right materials. This is how it works for cloth, leather, and metal armor crafting as well. Segmented is average for physical damage with slightly higher fire absorption. Notched has slightly higher slice absorption with average non-physical stats. Ribbed has slightly lower puncture protection with a higher impact and electrical absorption.

I assume these differences would be more apparent if you used something with better stats for armor than wolf bones.

> Another thing.. is that the techniques to reinforce the armor.. is that just a behind the scenes adjustment if you have the tech? or is it something we do to the armor after it is done? and if so.. can we get info on it? or is it not implemented yet?

If it's implemented there should be a section in the book that explains how to do it. I've never bothered to look for it. I'm pretty sure all of the modification techniques are applied after crafting.

> Can bone/stone weapons be taken to a weaponsmith and have their techniques for honing or balancing, etc.. performed upon them?

I would assume no, since they're not metal. But then again, stirring rods aren't metal and can be repaired with the blacksmithing techniques the last I heard, so who knows. Make some weapons and find a weaponsmith to do some science to them.

“I’m sorry that your mystical, godlike powers do not instantly work as you would like them to.”
Re: Engineering 06/08/2014 04:34 AM CDT

The problem though with the 'no best' idea is that the differences are so marginal that they might as well be the same. Wolf-Bone is at 65 for physical.. that isn't bottom of the barrel and is slightly above average.. and while there is definitely room for much better bone.. I would expect to see more of a difference than you do.

It isn't in the book so then I will assume it isn't implemented yet unless bone is different than the others.

All the weaponsmith techniques would seem to be things that should be able to be done to any crafted weapon. I will have to find someone to run some tests.
Re: Engineering 06/08/2014 01:42 PM CDT
Wolf bones also have sub-par electrical and thermal resistances and a low density. Heavier materials will always produce weapons/armor with better stats than lighter materials with the same stats. I'd suggest trying barghest or lava drake bones if you want to see stats on the higher end. The differences will probably be more noticeable there.

“I’m sorry that your mystical, godlike powers do not instantly work as you would like them to.”