Making rope 01/21/2013 08:02 PM CST
I get that skills have had to be "stretched" to cover the high end players. So here I am with my 293 in mechlore and I'm braiding my vines...and where I used to be able to make heavy rope for climbing, now I only get a lead rope. So is this intended?

Zinaca and her fully-grown raccoon, Shadow (who isn't really helping--"Bring back my vine!")
Re: Making rope 01/21/2013 10:42 PM CST
That's how braiding always worked. The more you braid, the different resulting rope you can get.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Making rope 01/22/2013 01:46 AM CST
>I get that skills have had to be "stretched" to cover the high end players. So here I am with my 293 in mechlore and I'm braiding my vines...and where I used to be able to make heavy rope for climbing, now I only get a lead rope. So is this intended?

If you forage up more vines and braid them in you should be able to lengthen it to the heavy rope with more braiding. The messaging as you braid indicates what type of rope you'll get when you pull the vines.
Re: Making rope 01/22/2013 12:21 PM CST
Actually, I used to be able to make heavy ropes with my trader. But since the change, the trader has not had the needed skill. I suspect this is what Zinaca's seeing.

Player of...

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Making rope 01/22/2013 02:23 PM CST
>Actually, I used to be able to make heavy ropes with my trader. But since the change, the trader has not had the needed skill. I suspect this is what Zinaca's seeing.

Does your trader have under 100 ranks of mech? I was under the impression that it doesn't take much mech at all to braid heavy ropes...
Re: Making rope 01/22/2013 04:02 PM CST
She has well over 200 in mech. That's why I'm puzzled.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

Re: Making rope 01/22/2013 05:22 PM CST
>She has well over 200 in mech. That's why I'm puzzled.

You aren't able to forage up more vines and braid them into the vines in your hands to get a heavy rope? Next time you have the trader ingame I'd Request an Assist. I'm easily braiding heavy ropes right now with 200 mech.
Re: Making rope 01/22/2013 05:31 PM CST

Oh, foraging is no problem. It's the braiding part that's hard! ;) And yes, I think I will assist. I've been busy breaking stuff for our lovely GMs's lately anyway!

Player of...

Re: Making rope 01/22/2013 08:30 PM CST
With 596 Mech, every vine braid hits the "nothing more than wasted effort" forcing me to pull and start over while still at the lead rope stage. After braiding for about 30 minutes, there's not one lead rope or heavy rope on the ground completed.

Also, under 2.0, pretty much every braid was mistake free and the RT was pretty much always 3:

braid my vine
You confidently braid your vines, certain that you are making excellent progress.
You are certain that the braided vines could become a good quality heavy rope.
Roundtime: 3 seconds.
R>braid my vine
The braided vines is already as long as you can make it. Better just PULL it to see how it holds up and then start on a new rope.
>pull my vine
You tug and pull on your braided vines, testing them thoroughly.
Satisfied with your work, you tie off the ends of the rope and proudly examine your new braided heavy rope.
Roundtime: 5 seconds.

Now under 3.0, I'm getting errors and 8-10 round times:

>braid my vine
Frustration wells up as you try to braid your vines.
You are certain that the braided vines could become a good quality lead rope.
Roundtime: 9 seconds.
>braid my vine
Frustration wells up as you try to braid your vines.
You are certain that you have made a small mistake in your braiding.
You think you were able to correct at least part of your mistake.
Roundtime: 9 seconds.
>braid my vine
You fumble around trying to braid your vines and begin to wonder why you even bother.
You are certain that you have made a moderate error in your braiding.
Roundtime: 10 seconds.

Mechanical Lore: 596 67% engaged (22/34)

I am learning Mech - maybe braiding was changed over to use another skill as a base, but is still granting mech?

Meigs
Re: Making rope 01/22/2013 08:59 PM CST
You concentrate on braiding your vines, fairly sure you are making progress.
Roundtime: 7 seconds.
>braid my vine
>
You fumble around trying to braid your vines and begin to wonder why you even bother.
>braid my vine
You concentrate on braiding your vines, fairly sure you are making progress.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.
>braid my vine
You are certain that you have made a moderate error in your braiding.
>pull my vines
>
You tug and pull on your braided vines, testing them thoroughly.
Satisfied with your work, you tie off the ends of the rope and proudly examine your new braided heavy rope.
Roundtime: 5 seconds.
>glan
You glance down to see a braided heavy rope in your right hand and nothing in your left hand.

Mechanical Lore: 201 73% rapt (30/34)

It took 15 braids to get me from the first foraged vine to heavy rope. Maybe with higher mech skills there's some kind of bug thats penalizing your braiding ability.
Re: Making rope 01/25/2013 04:25 PM CST
>>And yes, I think I will assist.

It looks like this braiding issue has been assisted, bugged, and posted about. Do we know if a solution is in the works?

Although it might be that with crafting hopefully being finished by summer, fixing braiding before then might not be high priority.

Waxing still, half of the black moon Katamba looks down from above.
Katamba is fully obscured by Xibar.
Re: Making rope 01/25/2013 08:06 PM CST
I haven't heard of a solution- nor do I expect one since crafting now exists. I suppose I'll have to start spending time in the different societies now. :)

Re: Making rope 01/25/2013 08:25 PM CST
I think you're probably right. Thanks for the reply.

Waxing still, half of the black moon Katamba looks down from above.
Katamba is fully obscured by Xibar.