TM Foci Request 03/29/2017 07:37 PM CDT
For peace of mind, is there any kind of message that could trigger indicating when a TM Focus is doing its thing?

The "You turned it on" and "You put it away, so it turned off" messages are clear, but it would be nice to have some kind of flavor text that goes "yeah it's working" when you're casting TM (and debilitation?) spells.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: TM Foci Request 04/04/2017 07:32 PM CDT
I haven't seen the messaging for the TM Foci yet - I stayed away from the last Duskruin in protest. But this sounds like something that would be nice to see.

- Saragos
Re: TM Foci Request 04/05/2017 10:15 AM CDT

I'm still not convinced they are working 100%. Kodius was supposed to reach out to witness more testing but I never heard from him. I assume hes been super busy. The damage seemed very similar with or without the foci though, just something to keep in mind until this is all sorted out.
Re: TM Foci Request 04/05/2017 10:26 AM CDT

>>I'm still not convinced they are working 100%. Kodius was supposed to reach out to witness more testing but I never heard from him. I assume hes been super busy. The damage seemed very similar with or without the foci though, just something to keep in mind until this is all sorted out.

A friend of mine did some initial testing that was showing around 20% boost. The process was:

Find a critter you always kill in X casts. Usually something way under your current hunting. For him it was forest geni, killed 10/10 with 5 casts, without TM foci.
Use the TM foci, kill critter over and over again and see how many casts it takes to kill one. Again for him with geni he killed 10/10 with 4 casts, with TM foci running.

Obviously the sample size isn't great, was mostly just someone playing with a new toy rather than giving it a thorough test
Re: TM Foci Request 04/05/2017 10:30 AM CDT
I ran similar tests and came to similar conclusions.

DR spell messaging being what it is it was near impossible to tell a difference on each cast, but when I started tracking time to kill and/or casts to kill it was consistently faster with the tm foci.
Re: TM Foci Request 04/05/2017 10:55 AM CDT
Sort of the same issue one run into with heavy TM, DRs proportional limb damage messaging doesn't convey much or any information about your damage numbers.

"Warrior Mages don't bother covering up their disasters.
They're proud of them." -Raesh, on history
Re: TM Foci Request 04/05/2017 12:25 PM CDT

>Find a critter you always kill in X casts. Usually something way under your current hunting. For him it was forest geni, killed 10/10 with 5 casts, without TM foci.
>Use the TM foci, kill critter over and over again and see how many casts it takes to kill one. Again for him with geni he killed 10/10 with 4 casts, with TM foci running.

FYI, this may not be a very good way of testing due to the lack of granularity with things. Made up numbers, but for example, if a critter has 100 HP, and you do 30, you'll take 4 casts to kill. If foci buff damage, say, 10%, up to 33, you'll still take 4 casts to kill.

I think the best way of testing this is two-fold. Firstly, do a TM routine sans weapons for 1 hour, and see how many critters you kill. Then do the same routine for another hour, this time with a focus, and see how many critters you kill. Secondly, do a TM routine sans weapons and determine the average time to kill over 1 hour, etc...

Both 'kill counter' and 'time to kill' will help give an indicator of the improvement.
Re: TM Foci Request 04/05/2017 12:38 PM CDT

> I ran similar tests and came to similar conclusions.

Same. It's hard to know without the numbers, but I saw no increase in average kill speeds with Guardian Spirit or Soul Attrition. Harm Horde also appeared to be less effective and miss more often at similar mana. ToTRS seems to work.
Re: TM Foci Request 04/05/2017 02:46 PM CDT

My testing was done without critters and with players at pretty equal offense vs defense over the course of many many casts. I was seeing no increase at all, with the understanding that there is a great variance in what type of hits you CAN see in DR's combat system. However 60% seems like it should be very noticeable.