Barrier Review 07/01/2020 12:08 PM CDT
I know staff have said that there is a plan for this, but in the future as part of a larger overhaul of mechanics.

I'd like to suggest that you consider working up an interim project to address this issue.

Divide barriers into 2 classes - ablative and non-ablative - and make all spells within each group mutually exclusive. A new spell cast would remove any other spell from that group in effect. Something relatively simple like that.

The situation with barriers has gotten really out of hand, and new dev just keeps making it worse (IC tattoos, temporal eddy). I think waiting for a theoretical overhaul in the distant future is too long, it's already been too long.
Re: Barrier Review 07/03/2020 05:15 AM CDT
I'm on board with that plan.
Re: Barrier Review 07/03/2020 12:29 PM CDT
A character could have 1 spell from each of the 4 physical/magical ablative/non-ablative spell lists, in addition to any of the spells in the exclusion list. (Hoping I didn't miss anything this time)

This change would bring us back in line with the original vision for barriers, and make access to barriers much more equal between MUs and NMUs.

Physical, Ablative
-
Manifest Force
Persistence of Peri'el
Trabe Chalice

Physical, Non-Ablative
-
Sagacity
Tenacity
Naming of Tears
Minor Physical Protection
Ghost Shroud
Iron Constitution
Cage of Light
Calcified Hide
Aspirant's Aegis

Magical, Ablative
-
Persistence of Peri'el
Essence of Yew
Veil of Ice
Serenity (Barbarian, calling it ablative due to the IF drain)

Magical, Non-Ablative
-
Badger
Turtle
Swan(? maybe toss this one in the exclusions)
Naming of Tears
Ghost Shroud
Iron Constitution
Cage of Light
Calcified Hide
Ethereal Shield
Grounding Field
Soldier's Prayer

Exclusions
-
Glythtide's Joy
Worm's Mist