I don't understand 11/12/2018 11:42 AM CST
I can cast a basic spell + chaos symb without issues. Never worse backlash than the "splitting headache" and I've been at it for months.

Casting an intermediate spell without a symb is incredibly unsafe to the point of being unusable -- and it doesn't even teach as well as the basic+symb.

Both spells are non-tm/debil/cyclic, and are the same mana type.

This just doesn't make sense to me. I've confirmed with discern that they are indeed the difficulties I think they are. It doesn't seem like it's the spell itself, as I've tried with a few different intermediate spells of the same mana type and the intermediate is always the more dangerous. We had a red name confirm recently that most spells are on a template anyway and "more dangerous spells" aren't really a thing anymore anyway.

What am I missing here? How is it more dangerous AND easier to cast?
Re: I don't understand 11/12/2018 12:23 PM CST
The short answer: there's two different formulas. The formula to check sorcerous backlash is different than the formula to check casting difficulty in general. Notably, the sorcerous backlash formula includes a heavy modifier for spell mana type versus casting mana type. But even if those variables are the same in your comparison, the formulas are just different. Stick with whatever teaches best with the lowest risk of sorcerous backlash.