Guardian Spirit 05/28/2018 11:35 AM CDT
so as I understand it, GS is available at circle 20. What I don't understand, is why it takes 250 in skill to
use a feature available at such a low level.
is PM and utility factored into this total number or is it just straight 250 utility?
Re: Guardian Spirit 05/28/2018 11:41 AM CDT
> so as I understand it, GS is available at circle 20. What I don't understand, is why it takes 250 in skill to use a feature available at such a low level.

You're asking the wrong question. It requires 250 ranks because of the complexity of the spell. The question you should be asking is why the circle req is so low for something that takes so many ranks. The answer is that some people have magic skills vastly exceeding their circle, and so the spell is available to them earlier.

> is PM and utility factored into this total number or is it just straight 250 utility?

Yes, PM helps.
Re: Guardian Spirit 05/28/2018 01:03 PM CDT
To clarify, PM helps but it's not a total 1:1 conversion. 125 PM + 125 Utility != 250 Effective Utility.

But that said, you should be able to see some success with the spell around 200 Utility if not sooner.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Guardian Spirit 05/28/2018 02:07 PM CDT
Thank you for the prompt response, both of you. I'll just have to step up my utility training.
Re: Guardian Spirit 05/29/2018 12:03 PM CDT
If this is an important goal for your character, you might consider devoting a spell slot to the Utility Mastery feat, until your ranks catch up.