Battle spells 05/16/2018 05:11 PM CDT
I've been poking people about magic in general lately, and no one seems to have much good to say about battle spells; the shorter prep duration isn't that much shorter, even with feats, but the 10 minute cap on duration really ruins them when compared to normal spells.

Would anyone really mind if we moved them all to normal spells?
Re: Battle spells 05/16/2018 05:59 PM CDT

Debilitation and (some) targeted spells are battle spells, and extending the prep time of those won't help anything, with no duration balance. Is there certain spells in particular that you feel should be shifted over to the normal spell format?
Re: Battle spells 05/16/2018 06:21 PM CDT
Paladins are the poster children for "why is this a battle spell?" Anti-Stun, Crusader's Challenge, and Soldier's Prayer all come to mind.

Stun's PvP application is significantly limited by stun hiders, so I'd personally be quite fine lowering the efficacy of AS if it meant we could turn it into a normal set-and-forget combat spell primarily to help prevent critters from stunning.

A Tactics buff seems right in the Paladin wheelhouse, but it's attached to this weird engagement manipulation function I hardly ever use, so it becomes a battle spell I have to refresh every few minutes. I'd much rather we get a vanilla 1-slot Tactics buff and save CC's engagement function for a new glyph I can pull out when/if I need it.

Soldier's Prayer confuses me. I know magic wards aren't the Paladin calling card, but it triggers on your own spells like Shear/Aether Cloak/Ghost Shroud, only its power level is way below those. To make matters worse, it loses duration every time it contests a spell. I usually just use Lay Ward instead as a result.
Re: Battle spells 05/16/2018 07:23 PM CDT

I definitely agree the paladin spellbook could use a bit of optimizing, modernizing, but whether or not that is inside the current scope of development manpower is another question. I do think paladin spells could use some re-categorizing, but not the existence of battle spells as a whole.
Re: Battle spells 05/16/2018 08:05 PM CDT
>>Righteousfury: Is there certain spells in particular that you feel should be shifted over to the normal spell format?

Any spell that is a buff.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Paladin new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Paladin_new_player_guide

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: Battle spells 05/16/2018 08:47 PM CDT

>>Any spell that is a buff.

I feel like shortened duration is the trade-off for some of those buffs, allowing them to exist, or be as potent as they are. Lay Ward, Anti-stun, and others. Allowing a 40 minute duration for a few seconds more prep time is not a viable trade-off in a lot of those circumstances. I'd rather cast most of those spells more often than have them watered down to be less useful than they currently are.
Re: Battle spells 05/16/2018 10:11 PM CDT
I think there's a time and place for battle spell buffs, but battle spells that are not TM or debilitation need to be designed with being a battle spell as a large downside, because it is. Crusader's Challenge is a good example: the point/taunt functionality to prevent retreating makes sense as a battle spell since it should be situational, but it's a bit of a sour note that Paladins do not have a Tactics buff outside of it.
Re: Battle spells 05/17/2018 10:39 AM CDT

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely agree the tactics buff should be split off crusader's challenge, and that other paladin spells need looking at. I was just pointing out that some of those spells being battle spells is likely the reason they're allowed to exist at their current efficacy. Like, anti-stun for instance. Extending the duration of the buff would require a tradeoff to balance the spell, potentially, and I would rather keep it as is, than say make it 40 minute duration but ablative. Or reduce lay ward's effectiveness as a whole to increase duration. Battle spells definitely have their place, some of the battle spells just need to be re-examined.
Re: Battle spells 05/17/2018 10:51 AM CDT
Battle spells would make more sense if their costs and prep times better reflected their durations.

The idea of a spell being something you quickly toss up makes sense, but if you need it fast, it shouldn't require 10 seconds/100 mana to get the maximum out of it. It would make more sense to have it be something like a 3-5 second spell that caps at 30 mana.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Battle spells 05/17/2018 11:00 AM CDT

Again, I feel like for some of those spells, the cost/duration/efficacy are balanced, and I would hate to see them watered down. What good is making antistun last longer, or even less expensive to cast, if it becomes ablative and is gone in a few pulses? I guess with the reduced mana cost, a raise in difficulty could be substituted to balance it out without having to beat it down? The collective 'it', I'm talking about the useful battle spells. Not things like crusader's challenge.
Re: Battle spells 05/17/2018 11:37 AM CDT
>>What good is making anti-stun last longer, or even less expensive to cast, if it becomes ablative and is gone in a few pulses?

I don't think there's an explicit connection between the two. You can theoretically have non-ablative/non-battle spells.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Battle spells 05/17/2018 11:42 AM CDT
Wide adaptation of battle spells to buffs was an experiment that didn't work out and, lo, I'm going to be meddling with buffs in the near future. I'll take a look.

Battle spell buffs as a concept isn't off the table entirely, especially for particularly potent or unique effects that shouldn't scale to 40 minutes.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Battle spells 05/17/2018 11:46 AM CDT

>>I don't think there's an explicit connection between the two. You can theoretically have non-ablative/non-battle spells.

You absolutely can, and there are plenty. I feel like the existence of a lot of these spells as battle spells, however, is used as a drawback for balancing to reduce duration, not as an advantage for a few seconds faster prep time. I could be mistaken, but I feel like this was talked about in the past. If you were to take away that negative-impacting balance feature, something else would have to take it's place, or the strength or efficacy of the spells as a whole reduced to compensate. I was just pointing out that sometimes people don't realize the ramifications of what they request.
Re: Battle spells 05/17/2018 03:40 PM CDT
>Wide adaptation of battle spells to buffs was an experiment that didn't work out and, lo, I'm going to be meddling with buffs in the near future. I'll take a look.

Huzzah! Thanks.
Re: Battle spells 05/17/2018 05:24 PM CDT
Armifer killing it with comments this month.
Re: Battle spells 05/18/2018 03:50 PM CDT

>I'm going to be meddling with buffs in the near future. I'll take a look.

Putting in a request for Ignite when the time comes. Thanks.