Backlash rates: spell-by-spell basis, or broad spell difficulty? 02/10/2018 07:40 PM CST
I've seen a lot of conflicting information on this and would love it if Raesh would just give us the answer so we can stop arguing about it.

Will spells of the same mana type and the same spell difficulty backlash at the same severity/rate for the same caster?

For example, will I backlash the same casting athleticism vs instinct? They're both basic and life, so I'd think they would. What about refresh? Refresh is basic when cast by a non-empath. Does that make it backlash more than other basic life spells?

I've seen conflicting yet vague posts by Raesh that people use to argue that it either is or isn't on a spell-by-spell basis. Which is it?
Re: Backlash rates: spell-by-spell basis, or broad spell difficulty? 02/10/2018 07:48 PM CST

I read this to mean that spells have their own backlash rate on top of mana mix: https://elanthipedia.play.net/Post:Sorcery_Backlash_Rates_-_09/21/2016_-_10:47

> Also, to clear up some misconceptions about how this whole deal works: The amount of mana you use doesn't matter. The conditions you cast under don't matter. It just checks the mana mix, the spell's inherent risk and your sorcery skill.
Re: Backlash rates: spell-by-spell basis, or broad spell difficulty? 02/12/2018 08:53 PM CST
>I read this to mean

This is why I'm asking for clarification from a red name. My experience shows it's actually not on a spell-by-spell basis, but there are folks who vehemently disagree. There are some spells that change difficulty when used by other classes, like refresh for non-empaths and AA for non-paladins. Other spells are just mislabeled in epedia. Epedia used to be listed as basic, but it's actually intermediate. This may just be another spell that changes difficulty for non-class members, though. Some things are just mislabeled in epedia, like Athleticism was listed as basic until I fixed it yesterday (it's intro.)

I think things like this have led to the belief that backlash rates are on a spell-by-spell basis, when the reality might be we poorly documented spells on epedia. If anyone can link a non-ambiguous post from a red name, or even better if a red name could clear this up, I'd be super grateful.
Re: Backlash rates: spell-by-spell basis, or broad spell difficulty? 02/13/2018 01:33 AM CST
Backlash rates can be spell-specific, though these days most spells use templates. Off the top of my head, Trabe Chalice and Fluoresce are two recent ones that are set to be more dangerous.

GM Grejuva