Mandatory feats? 01/17/2018 12:28 PM CST
I'm poking my head into a magic-using class again after mostly doing a thief for 5+ years. So I'm trying to figure out what magic feats I actually want. This isn't really for a specific guild, but more 'everyone really wants these' approach.

I've already marked Deep attunement, Raw channeling, efficient channeling, and efficient harnessing. Because more resources are always better.

What about the 'faster' line of feats? It doesn't seem like 1-2 seconds per spell is worth a spell slot.

Most people seem to dismiss the 'mastery' lines, but it seems like for the first 300-500 ranks, that would be very useful? Guild specific question, but does mastery balance out the cleric alignment penalty? Or are you still stuck with a -5%?

I'll probably pick up sorcery at some point, so I assume sorcerous patterns is a good choice?

Team player: broken

Group supporter: depends on guild, I guess?

Prep/legerdemain line: PvP I guess? I don't really PvP.
Re: Mandatory feats? 01/17/2018 12:50 PM CST
Depending on how much you want to micro-manage your mana usage, you might want to invest in dedicated cambrinth use if you expect to use cyclics while casting spells.

Magic theorist is necessary for sorcery (maybe guild-specific sorceries are an exception?), and magic theorist is pretty useful if you have easy access to a particular spell scroll but want to potentially save a slot or two (or just not spend a long-term slot at all since you use it so rarely). I can see myself learning imbue as a scroll vs memorizing it, for example, since I think the Crossing magic shop sells it.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Mandatory feats? 01/17/2018 12:52 PM CST
As you said, the extra mojo feats are golden. The Masteries I like for lower level, mid level they drop off unless you're taking in symbiosis buffs to fill a missing stat, endgame they're of very limited value.

The faster cast stuff.. I cambrinth religiously, which stacks up a fair bit of RT. I find that I tend to use about as much RT as a normal prep takes, lowering the value dramaticly. If playing a Cleric, with their incredibly potent POM you might be able to cut corners via harnessing but YMMV.

I'm a fan of; Improved Memory, Magic Theorist, Dedicated Cambrinth Use, myself. Extra spell slot, sorcery access, both are no brainers, and I like dedicated cambrinth for prepping/charging up spells while running cyclics. Generally something I utilize more in pvp, but I miss it on my caster alts who lack it.

The last one I like is Cautious casting - I find, especially on newer characters, the random factor zaps me with backfires enough to annoy. Lowering the nerve damage risk means I spend less time getting healed. As I tend to park my alts in odd parts of the game to see stuff/critters I didn't have around when I came up on my Paladin, finding a PC healer is usually not a thing. Less time waiting for the (dreadfully) slow autopaths is a pure win.

The others are playstyle related. The spell recognition stuff is largely a nosy/pvp type thing, and the research stuff is nichy (I use it on Samsaren, none of my alts). Happy casting.

Samsaren
Re: Mandatory feats? 01/17/2018 01:16 PM CST

You'll get some feats for free, but if you're playing for magic's sake then I'd go cleric warrior mage or moon mage. I prefer cleric due to the versatility and raw power, but they're all good choices.

Assuming cleric,

- SAP will offset one of the penalties, and the rest aren't really that much of a problem. Just don't penalize TM/Debilitation.

- I like injured casting if you don't have a dedicated

- Pick up improvised rituals at some point, as it'll make your life so much easier.

- As others have said, dedicated camb use is nice, but you can work around it by timing your cyclics and invoking before the cast.

- Improved memory is great, especially early on. you can use it for as much as 4 bonus spell slots.

- Sorcerous casting and magic theorist is a must if you're doing sorcery . You won't need the latter until 50 in sorcery, and the former should be picked up as soon as you can get it.

- Masteries are great around the 100-200 range. You can start the esoteric spells earlier than you otherwise would.
Re: Mandatory feats? 01/17/2018 01:33 PM CST
I nth the suggestion for Dedicated Cambrinth as a good partner to cyclics. It will probably be a while before you starting running cyclics in combat, though, so it's not something to rush for.

> Deep attunement, efficient channeling, and efficient harnessing. Because more resources are always better.

You'll outgrow these eventually. I'm not sure if efficient channeling is ever really called for; it's a 10% reduction, but it only applies to cyclics, which tend to be low mana already. Maybe others' experiences differ?

> Most people seem to dismiss the 'mastery' lines, but it seems like for the first 300-500 ranks, that would be very useful?

I agree. My baby Cleric and Empath both grabbed Utility Mastery. You will eventually outgrow these, but that's a ways down the line. Annoyingly, Augmentation Mastery is a prereq for Area Casting, meaning I'm stuck with it as deadwood.

> - SAP will offset one of the penalties, and the rest aren't really that much of a problem. Just don't penalize TM/Debilitation.

I disagree. For PVE at least, TM and Debil spells only need to be cast at min prep or min prep + 1, and the penalty doesn't affect landing the spell, only casting it. I think Murrula makes a great choice for a young cleric, for example.
Re: Mandatory feats? 01/17/2018 02:03 PM CST
>>You'll outgrow these eventually. I'm not sure if efficient channeling is ever really called for; it's a 10% reduction, but it only applies to cyclics, which tend to be low mana already. Maybe others' experiences differ?

I think it really depends on how high you're casting and how fast it pulses. If I was just running RoC under 10, which I think pulses pretty slow, I'd agree that the value isn't really there. But I feel it matters more when I'm running USOL, which pulses pretty fast, at 20+.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Mandatory feats? 01/17/2018 02:33 PM CST
>>You'll outgrow these eventually. I'm not sure if efficient channeling is ever really called for; it's a 10% reduction, but it only applies to cyclics, which tend to be low mana already. Maybe others' experiences differ?

>>I think it really depends on how high you're casting and how fast it pulses. If I was just running RoC under 10, which I think pulses pretty slow, I'd agree that the value isn't really there. But I feel it matters more when I'm running USOL, which pulses pretty fast, at 20+.

Skillset/buffset have an impact here, too. Tert without an attunement buff ANYTHING I can get to prop up from baseline is a tangible handy benefit.

Samsaren
Re: Mandatory feats? 01/18/2018 11:14 AM CST
I'd skip deep attunement. Yes more resources are always good but 0.25% of 100 mana pool is equivalent to 1 mana every 24 seconds. 1 spell slot for 3 mana a minute isn't worth it.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Main_Page
Re: Mandatory feats? 01/18/2018 07:00 PM CST
Seconding/thirding Cautious Casting. Mana values for optimal training are changing constantly when you're younger, and since you're probably going to be scripting magic at some point, avoiding backfires and cumulative nerve damage is very useful.

It's another that you will outgrow and probably want to drop sometime, but I love it for the first several hundred ranks. I tend to play non-peak-hours a lot, and the undead hunting chain (assuming a Cleric) will inevitably take you to Forf, so there's usually no PC Empaths around. If you play at peak hours or intend to stay in Zoluren YMMV, but I'd consider it.