Spell Suggestion 12/20/2017 10:05 PM CST
Okay, last one.

Spell Name: Release Pheromones.
Restrictions: Living only, not including guardian spirit.
Contest: Charm vs Fortitude.
IC Details: Greatly increases the pheramones that naturally occur in the bodies of all living things. It will draw the attention of all living things in the area, and may even entice living beings from the far reaches of the realms.
OOC Details: Target of the spell initiates an AOE taunt on the room, pulses periodically. Only hits viable targets. Charm. Only valid targets (manipulated, GS). Has a chance to spawn a new creature.
Random notes: More effective with Zypher in the room. Much more effective against creatures of the same race.
Mana details:
- 0% - 25%, taunts same-name creatures/same races. Only manipulated critters will stick.
- 25-75% taunt includes GS.
- 75%+ spawns a bonus creature (% chance of success).
- 100% May "manipulate" a target you are not currently m anipulating.
Re: Spell Suggestion 12/21/2017 07:53 AM CST

Rather than continue to try and cobble together creature spawn increasing spells/abilities/items, I think it makes more sense to undertake a comprehensive reevaluation of critter spawn across the board. Not all critters need to swarm, but that people seem to preferentially hunt swarming critters, and/or ignore critters with bad spawn should be enough to point to where there are problems.
Re: Spell Suggestion 12/21/2017 08:07 AM CST

The main point of the spell is to control the manipulated creatures. I still want a way to do this. I'm in a room with two creatures manipulated, a guardian spirit, and 2 more. One manipulated creature is facing the GS, one facing a random mob. I'd much rather be able to tell them to attack the same mob as my GS.

Then that had me thinking, what if this was a multi-purpose spell. It could thematically be a multi-purpose escape spell, spawn generator to selectively alleviate what many consider to be a problem (your post), and and/or a charm for empaths and non-empaths alike (depending where the spell lands).

Honestly, I think this would make a great empath or ranger spell, or change it thematically and give it to bards or moon mages. Non-signature. Something that's relatively easy to cast so any guild with a combat pet would want to spend a scroll slot on it.
Re: Spell Suggestion 12/21/2017 08:16 AM CST
>I think it makes more sense to undertake a comprehensive reevaluation of critter spawn across the board.
Yes please.

>Not all critters need to swarm,
Strong disagree. Every critter should spawn at engagement cap. This is just the way Combat3.0 has pushed things.

~Hunter Hanryu
>You know how map makers use to be "Here be dragons"? Old DR code is like that. Except instead of dragons there are Lovecraftian horrors made out of well-intentioned psuedo-code.~Raesh
Re: Spell Suggestion 12/21/2017 08:40 AM CST
>>Every critter should spawn at engagement cap. This is just the way Combat3.0 has pushed things.

Like the "turn off all special attacks" suggestion, this is extremely unlikely to happen. The popularity of swarmy creatures is something Kodius and I recently talked about. We'd rather make slower spawns desirable too.

But that's not to say we can't have spawn-boosting abilities.

GM Grejuva
Re: Spell Suggestion 12/21/2017 08:42 AM CST
>>Every critter should spawn at engagement cap. This is just the way Combat3.0 has pushed things.

> Like the "turn off all special attacks" suggestion, this is extremely unlikely to happen. The popularity of swarmy creatures is something Kodius and I recently talked about. We'd rather make slower spawns desirable too.

Every critter should spawn at engagement cap to prevent people from stealing spawn. Critters with slower spawn should have a lower engagement cap.
Re: Spell Suggestion 12/21/2017 08:44 AM CST

>HANRYU: Strong disagree. Every critter should spawn at engagement cap. This is just the way Combat3.0 has pushed things.

I wouldn't object to there being some variety to critters that made spawn differences meaningful. E.g., a critter that has low spawn, but more HP/defenses would be fine. Unfortunately, I don't think that's how it really cracked out.

>SHIFT3: I'd much rather be able to tell them to attack the same mob as my GS.

Ah, I see. I think this could be a cool meta to add to Paralyze maybe? Or maybe a GS ability?

>Honestly, I think this would make a great empath or ranger spell, or change it thematically and give it to bards or moon mages. Non-signature. Something that's relatively easy to cast so any guild with a combat pet would want to spend a scroll slot on it.

This is where you lost me - outside of interacting with Manipulate, what is the utility of this spell?
Re: Spell Suggestion 12/21/2017 09:17 AM CST

>>Like the "turn off all special attacks" suggestion, this is extremely unlikely to happen. The popularity of swarmy creatures is something Kodius and I recently talked about. We'd rather make slower spawns desirable too.

A little off topic, but I think the only way you will be able to realistically achieve this is by having dynamic engagement caps. I'm all for critter variety and don't think every critter should be "swarmy" but with the way DR combat works every critter should spawn at the engagement cap. The two things that currently kill hunting grounds are Special Attacks and Can't Get Critters. There should be a big difference between Low Spawn and Can't Get Critters, but at the moment those two scenarios are synonymous because the critter cap is static across the board.
Re: Spell Suggestion 12/21/2017 11:58 AM CST

> Every critter should spawn at engagement cap to prevent people from stealing spawn. Critters with slower spawn should have a lower engagement cap.

I'm sure this is a technical/resource nightmare, but I'd love to see every room spawn their own creatures rather than it being tied to groups of rooms.
Re: Spell Suggestion 12/21/2017 12:06 PM CST
> I wouldn't object to there being some variety to critters that made spawn differences meaningful. E.g., a critter that has low spawn, but more HP/defenses would be fine. Unfortunately, I don't think that's how it really cracked out.

+1.

> This is where you lost me - outside of interacting with Manipulate, what is the utility of this spell?

You're probably right. Let's not put too much into one basket, and split this off into two separate suggestions.

Spell 1 = empath spell or metaspell. Keep the pheramone theme.

Spell 2 = spawn control. Maybe bard (they once had one), empath (redesign of compel), ranger (lures and traps), or moon mage (tying into the mental domination theme). Then again, this should probably be an AP spell because every guild will likely want it. Non-signature, relatively easy to cast. The goal is to control spawn to make hunting areas or ladder progression easier. A sliding scale where you can cause creatures to randomly despawn if over a certain threshhold or spawn if under it. mana determines the # of creatures you want in the room. 25 = 1, 50 = 2, 75 = 3, 100 = 4.
Re: Spell Suggestion 12/21/2017 12:17 PM CST
TBH, the manipulate spell suggestion might reach the proper people better in the empath folder.

Everything about spawn management sounds like a bandaid to a larger issue, and I'd personally rather see the larger issue get addressed than see bandaids show up, especially since – if the issue does get resolved – you're then left with a bunch of bandaids that have notably less purpose/function.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Spell Suggestion 12/21/2017 01:15 PM CST

> Everything about spawn management sounds like a bandaid to a larger issue, and I'd personally rather see the larger issue get addressed than see bandaids show up, especially since – if the issue does get resolved – you're then left with a bunch of bandaids that have notably less purpose/function.

I see where you're going, but I think control is still a useful thing. Even if spawns were changed dramatically so one group was happy, someone would then ask for spawns on certain creatures to then be lowered to make a jump easier or because they're trying to follow a specific ladder with a few difficult parts. That's where an AP or sorcery spell could come in. Everyone's happy.
Re: Spell Suggestion 12/21/2017 01:21 PM CST
>Like the "turn off all special attacks" suggestion, this is extremely unlikely to happen. The popularity of swarmy creatures is something Kodius and I recently talked about. We'd rather make slower spawns desirable too.

And believe me I would love for DR to get to the point where spawn and special attacks make sense for every critter. But as has been pointed out multiple times, there's just not enough staff/dev bandwidth to accommodate that right now, so why not slap in some bandaids that make sense given what Combat3.0 is right now? It can't be any worse than the current situation.

~Hunter Hanryu
>You know how map makers use to be "Here be dragons"? Old DR code is like that. Except instead of dragons there are Lovecraftian horrors made out of well-intentioned psuedo-code.~Raesh