cage of light 02/04/2008 09:38 PM CST
So what do the moon mages think of Cage of Light? After my testing I found it sounds very cool but doesnt qualify for its own spell slot.
If the spell were to last longer, defend better or maybe not require a visable moon. It might be useful.

Re: cage of light 02/04/2008 10:14 PM CST
I don't share your perceptions of this spell at all. It's quite good at what it does. If you're expecting to be immune to physical damage while it's up, I don't know what to tell you.

Rev. Reene

You ask, "Ever eat a Halfling?"

The grumpy Shadow Servant quietly says, "I only eat what you give me, but I thought you said we weren't going to talk about that incident."
Re: cage of light 02/04/2008 10:22 PM CST
>>If the spell were to last longer, defend better or maybe not require a visable moon. It might be useful.

Your character is at the low end of acceptable skills to cast the spell. You are currently only capable of producing a fifth of its protective power, and a fourth of its maximum duration.

It's unfortunate that this preview will end on Sunday, since you may have a different view of its potential in 10-20 more circles.

-Armifer
"It is no longer possible to escape men. Farewell to the monsters, farewell to the saints. Farewell to pride. All that is left is men."
- Jean-Paul Sartre
Re: cage of light 02/05/2008 02:12 PM CST
Well considering I never said anything about being immune to physical damage, You dont have to say anything to me. Why not talk about the spell and how you feel it works so well, rather than offer answers to questions that were never asked to begin with or worried about.

Everything I said was purely my humble oppinion. And since there is no possible way for me to get 20 circles by Sunday. It doesnt qualify for a spell slot for me.

To say that it will become five times stronger. Well certainly by the time I can cast it that high the foes it will be defending me against will probably be more than 5 times stronger than the ones I face now.

Either way, I'd just as soon wear some light chain for protection. Cast shear and Seal of deflection and smile happily as I spend the extra TDP I learn from armor skills into strength.

Re: cage of light 02/05/2008 02:28 PM CST
You're pretty ungrateful for someone who got a customized reply from a GM who looked at your character's stats. That's well beyond what I'd expect for a reply. But from the sound of it you don't need any advice, you already know it all.

By the way, the spell works with light chain armor as well. And shear and seal of deflection don't do anything to assist normal hunting.
Re: cage of light 02/05/2008 02:36 PM CST
Allow me to explain my answer.

It seems your expectations of the spell, particularly considering your skills in relation to the difficulty of the spell, were unrealistic. CoL represents a not insignificant buffer against physical and elemental damage.

You aren't satisfied because the effects you wring out of the spell are not currently worth a spell slot in your mind, and that's fine. I feel the same way about Invocation of Energy; it's a good spell, but it's a hard spell, so there are other spells that are a better investment of my spell slots in the mean time until I know I can use it effectively. It's a simple fact that you will not get the maximum potential from every single spell in the guild as soon as you can get it.

>> To say that it will become five times stronger. Well certainly by the time I can cast it that high the foes it will be defending me against will probably be more than 5 times stronger than the ones I face now.

This is irrelevant. I would recommend reading Armifer's posts on how the spell actually works to negate damage, it may help you understand the value of the spell.

Rev. Reene

The grumpy Shadow Servant quietly says, "I only eat what you give me, but I thought you said we weren't going to talk about that incident."
Re: cage of light 02/05/2008 03:03 PM CST
>>To say that it will become five times stronger. Well certainly by the time I can cast it that high the foes it will be defending me against will probably be more than 5 times stronger than the ones I face now.

It's a percentile reduction.

>>Either way, I'd just as soon wear some light chain for protection.

If you have access to the spell, you should be doing both. Magical and physical armor stack.

-Armifer
"It is no longer possible to escape men. Farewell to the monsters, farewell to the saints. Farewell to pride. All that is left is men."
- Jean-Paul Sartre
Re: cage of light 02/05/2008 04:24 PM CST
I didnt say anything that was rude to the GM's reply. If I was rude to anyone it was Rev Ren. And with that said, my first post was merely an inquisitve one. I never made any statements reguarding my expectations of the spell since I have none. And my second post was merely a reason why I stand by my oppinion.

And to accuse something of my character over such small posts? That hardly does justice to prove any point you might have otherwise had. Apparently having an oppinion is bad on forums?

Last I checked, these were for discussion not throwing around accusations and names. I was happy to hear from a GM. If I cant give my reasons to my oppinion, then whats the point for me to even give an oppinion?

Armifer carefully examined the cause for my oppinion and gave valid aruments against them. And after listening to his points I can see the value in the spell that before I failed to.

"If you have access to the spell, you should be doing both. Magical and physical armor stack"
"It's a percentile reduction."

Thanks for the info, very helpful.

Re: cage of light 02/05/2008 05:11 PM CST
Your opinion and sweeping dismissal of the spell as not being worth a slot was founded on faulty data and a seemingly incorrect perception of what the spell does. You then reacted with hostility to the people responding to you.

I'm glad you've decided to re-evaluate the spell but in the future I hope you decide to take a different approach when it comes to asking questions about spells, rather than simply stating that it's not worth a slot.

Rev. Reene

Re: cage of light 02/05/2008 07:06 PM CST

"Your opinion and sweeping dismissal of the spell as not being worth a slot was founded on faulty data and a seemingly incorrect perception of what the spell does. You then reacted with hostility to the people responding to you"

Very interesting.

"So what do the moon mages think of Cage of Light? After my testing I found it sounds very cool but doesnt qualify for its own spell slot.
If the spell were to last longer, defend better or maybe not require a visable moon. It might be useful."

I sure am coming out hostile eh?

Lets see what you said to that.

" ...If you're expecting to be immune to physical damage while it's up, I don't know what to tell you."

So you accuse me of being hostile when your the one trying to imply ideas about my expectations?

Grow up.
Re: cage of light 02/05/2008 07:49 PM CST
>> I sure am coming out hostile eh?

The language used in the original post was not the most inviting with regards to constructive dialogue. Rather, it seemed like you'd already made up your mind about it. I put forth that if (please read that word because you apparently missed it in my first response) what you expected was some kind of immunity to physical attacks that I wasn't sure what to tell you to convince you that the spell does what it says it does and does it quite well.

In any case, I think you need to calm down. You got the opinions you were looking for and a GM telling you why you might not be getting the results you were expecting. You shouldn't be surprised when people are less than civil to you when you respond the way you have been.

Rev. Reene

Re: cage of light 02/05/2008 08:25 PM CST
Who's not calm? Again your just assuming and making generalizations. The only person Who I responded negatively towards was you and your condisending attitude. You can take it how you like.
Re: cage of light :Nudge: 02/05/2008 08:53 PM CST
Please stay on topic and take any conflicts to the appropriate folder. Further posts in the current vein will be removed.

Please email any questions to me (MOD-Lirionic@play.net), Senior Board Monitor Annwyl (DR-Annwyl@play.net), or Board Supervisor Cecco (DR-Cecco@play.net). Thank you.

-Lirionic
Re: cage of light 02/13/2008 01:01 PM CST
Funny how i can almost guarantee the poster is Aerathsomething...don't worry, his character comes off the same when he's complaining about spells 'not being worth a spell slot' in front of the MM guild.