Divine Guidance 02/06/2008 09:10 PM CST
Ive been using Divine guidance on my low level paladin. he is 15th circle, and has a 13 intelligance. Casting DiG at 17 mana I do not see any change whatso ever in learning rates. I recieved the same pulse at mindlocked whether I had the spell on or not. I also saw no change in how its soaked in the fact it dropped to bewildering from mindlocked each time. From what i know about Intelligence, this spell should effect learning. Anyone have more information on this spell, because increased learning effects is the main reason for me to increase intelligence.

thanks -D
Re: Divine Guidance 02/06/2008 09:20 PM CST
From what I understand of the last time they played with mental stats is that INT and WIS no longer have the major impact that they once did. It takes a lot more in terms of stat points to really have a pronounced effect. And my guess is with low level casts that particular spell isnt adding enough to make an obvious difference. Stat boosters tend to stay on the lower side of how much they up a stat compared to how a skill booster would.

Darkmage of Tezirah
Renzar Lorrani
Re: Divine Guidance 02/06/2008 09:31 PM CST
Stat-boosting spells do not affect learning rates. This is intentional.

Rev. Reene

You ask, "Ever eat a Halfling?"

The grumpy Shadow Servant quietly says, "I only eat what you give me, but I thought you said we weren't going to talk about that incident."
Re: Divine Guidance 02/06/2008 10:10 PM CST
want to state the what you get for increasing intelligence with the spell?

1) increased magical 'spell versus will' contests?

--
Treat empaths with respect, you'll live longer.
--
If life doesn't need intelligence,
Then why should intelligence need life?
--
http://blog.myspace.com/57223313
Re: Divine Guidance 02/06/2008 10:37 PM CST
It may not be the case, but I seem to have a noticeably better time popping boxes with it.

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Divine Guidance 02/06/2008 11:03 PM CST
>want to state the what you get for increasing intelligence with the spell?

Fair question. I think that the lack of EXP impact really makes this spell a lot less attractive. I don't buy the logic either. Not everyone has a strength boosting spell, but you still get all the benefits of strength from a strength boost, just as you'd expect. Either the stats are balanced, or they aren't. I can't help but be a bit bitter with this decision.
Re: Divine Guidance 02/06/2008 11:14 PM CST
Especially since mentals matter a lot less now compared to what your ranks actually are.

Wisdom we know helps with perception and MR calcs. Intelligence helps with WvW contests and probably a menagerie of other crap I can't remember right now.

Rev. Reene

You ask, "Ever eat a Halfling?"

The grumpy Shadow Servant quietly says, "I only eat what you give me, but I thought you said we weren't going to talk about that incident."
Re: Divine Guidance 02/07/2008 12:58 AM CST
i only picked it cause i didn't know what it did ;p(i know bad idea) looks like it increases concentration as well as intelligence

--
Treat empaths with respect, you'll live longer.
--
If life doesn't need intelligence,
Then why should intelligence need life?
--
http://blog.myspace.com/57223313
Re: Divine Guidance 02/07/2008 01:08 AM CST
Concentration is based partly off of intelligence. Anything that increases intelligence will increase concentration.
Re: Divine Guidance 02/07/2008 01:20 AM CST
>>I can't help but be a bit bitter with this decision.

There is a very real practical difference between markedly faster learning rates and being able to carry a few more stones. As a power-gamer in TF I'm sure you realize that even more than most people do.

The stats still modify experience gain so having racial modifiers on intelligence and wisdom are very valuable. Additionally, they very recently eliminated the racial modifier for strength to make it more equitable with inetlligence/wisdom.

Malkien's a Kaldar and I remember that when they made the change his encumbrance jumped from none to burdened.
Prime: Malkien
Prime: (Necromancer Bob- coming to DR in '08!)
TF: Ganymede
Re: Divine Guidance 02/07/2008 01:37 AM CST
>There is a very real practical difference between markedly faster learning rates and being able to carry a few more stones. As a power-gamer in TF I'm sure you realize that even more than most people do.

For most people, a few stat points in pretty much any other stat (excluding charisma perhaps) will help them advance faster overall than mentals. Heroic strength will always be a MUCH better boost than divine guidance, even if DiG boosted learning.
Re: Divine Guidance 02/07/2008 09:09 AM CST
I know DiG boosts intel and it's actually wisdom that affects mindstate, but perhaps the spell could create a buffer to prevent mindstate from going murky.

~Thilan
Re: Divine Guidance 02/08/2008 05:40 AM CST
Ok so if i get it right....

DiG ups intelligance...(Anyone have information then on how big this boost can get?)

Which)
1)Increases Concentration.
2) Helps in WvW contests.
3)and souns like a few tiny things we can not really notice.

but since its magical Intelligence...

A) Does not increase the size of your experiance pool. Thus does not affect a main reason people choose Intelligance.

I think this spell needs to add more with at least one or more of the following possible ideas...

1) boost wisdom as well (since INT has been lowered in usefulness)
2) add something with the overall mindstate as was previously noted.
3) boost scholarship so learning increases at least indirectly with teaching (plus you would have better chance recalling immortals...etc.)

If anyone has more idea feel free to add them.

Honestly the way this spell is makes me want to erase and never find it again till i have no other choices to take.
Re: Divine Guidance 02/08/2008 10:34 AM CST
My only comment is that you might want to post this in the Paladin folder for optimum response.

"militantly enforcing the overly rigid standards of you and your small collection of friends"
Re: Divine Guidance 02/12/2008 08:09 AM CST
<<Stat-boosting spells do not affect learning rates. This is intentional.>>

At this point, it should be in the bottom tier of spells you need to know. However, I find it very useful to have MO/DIG up if I am going to be playing with a moonmage/warrior mage. The boost is significant and the duration is pretty darn long.

In addition to the things you mentioned, it helps me with origami.

Madigan

True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.

Arthur Ashe