MRE and ROB 10/10/2003 02:39 AM CDT
Talian,

I assume these two spells will actually be entirely new spells (and on scrolls). Why exactly are they not being rolled into rejuve and bless, respectively? These spells seem to serve little function beyond being group/room-wide versions of their predacessors. I thought one of the advantages for rewriting spells for Magic 2.whatever was to remove spells which seemed to serve little function.. MPFE and PFE were rolled together .... MES and ES, the same. FSV and FS, the same... SOP and ZOP... need I go on? Infact, is there even a spell that exists anymore that's essentially just a "better" version of it's predacessor?

MRE would just be activated by putting rejuve in the OM orb (or CASTing without a target). Ring of Blessings would be activated by CASTing bless rather than casting it at an item. While I do think Clerics need new spells, I think adding new spells for the sake of adding new spells is silly. When two spells are essentially identical, as in this case, they really should just be rolled together.

Please consider this.

- Smeg
Re: MRE and ROB 10/10/2003 02:43 AM CDT
I agree with Smegul. As much as I enjoyed having RoB before, it seems to me that it is a natural extension of the Bless spell. I look at it like the way we are able to cast PFE on a group, with enough magic ranks we would be able to cast bless on a group with their weapons out. The same holds true for Mass Rejuve. It's certainly something worth considering, isn't it?

(Janyl twirls a lock of hair around one finger absently.)

Jomay says to you, "I can help you with your hair, if you so desire it, dearie."
Re: MRE and ROB 10/10/2003 05:11 AM CDT
I'd be curious to know what other guilds have for scroll spells that are extensions of their normal spellbook spells that can be obtained through guild masters.

Daxlynn
Re: MRE and ROB 10/10/2003 05:27 AM CDT

<<I'd be curious to know what other guilds have for scroll spells that are extensions of their normal spellbook spells that can be obtained through guild masters.>>

Darkness. = spell scroll. = shadows but more so. MMs.

~Weak of arm, lousy roars;
terrible aim, awful health;
broken fingers, no real stealth;
leave em dead, cause you cant do more; lost your coins, on the floor;
greetings! now you're out the door~
>
Re: MRE and ROB 10/10/2003 06:26 AM CDT
<<I assume these two spells will actually be entirely new spells (and on scrolls). Why exactly are they not being rolled into rejuve and bless, respectively?>>

Because clerics have so few spells they get to say, hey look we gave you 2 more spells.

Making spells actually grow with the caster is a concept that has been mostly scrapped by DR.

Rolling pfe and mpfe was genius, I am sure someone will fix that.

Lagerby
Re: MRE and ROB 10/10/2003 09:56 AM CDT
>Rolling pfe and mpfe was genius, I am sure someone will fix that.

Heh.. Lags

And thanks Gonitheef, I was really just curious and had no idea. Are there any more by chance? Or is that the only one.

Spells in the realms are getting pretty dull to be honest. They do a few things. I really like the concept of giving RT or intermittant RT over a period of time to accomplish the feeling of sluggish movement. I think we could use some new ideas on effects of spells.

Another thing to consider is paralysis.. you know it effects many things we do these days. Hiding, foraging.. think of the TM body specific capabilities this would have.

Daxlynn
Re: MRE and ROB 10/10/2003 10:27 AM CDT
Actually darkness isn't much like shadows at all. Shadows is a long term hiding boost, Darkness kicks everyone into hiding. I'd say Steelstar vs Moonblade is the closest comparison right now, or TKT and TKS is actually a better one.

-Mozzik

Talian says, "Looks like I'm a... gypsy at the moment I think."
Talian whispers, "Because gypsies really are the best."
Re: MRE and ROB 10/10/2003 11:39 AM CDT
bless-blesses your weapon
ring of blessing-blesses many people weapons <your group>

rejuv-rejuvs 1 person
multi-rejuv-many people

shadows-gives You hiding boost
darkness-throws whole room of people into hiding..

mmkay?

~Weak of arm, lousy roars;
terrible aim, awful health;
broken fingers, no real stealth;
leave em dead, cause you cant do more; lost your coins, on the floor;
greetings! now you're out the door~
>
Re: MRE and ROB 10/10/2003 12:37 PM CDT
Exacly. I'm just saying ROB and MRE is basically casting a low level small on many people at once. Darkness is much more like casting blend on everyone at once, which isn't even a MM spell. But TKT and TKS is the only true example I can think of IG right now of spells that do this, as TKS basically just casts TKT over several times at targets in the area over time.

-Mozzik

Talian says, "Looks like I'm a... gypsy at the moment I think."
Talian whispers, "Because gypsies really are the best."
Re: MRE and ROB 10/10/2003 02:29 PM CDT
>Exacly. I'm just saying ROB and MRE is basically casting a low level small on many people at once. Darkness is much more like casting blend on everyone at once, which isn't even a MM spell. But TKT and TKS is the only true example I can think of IG right now of spells that do this, as TKS basically just casts TKT over several times at targets in the area over time.

Like LB/CL TKT/TKS need to be separate spells for unconsented PVP issues. You don't want high level mages always spitting off CL/TKS because, if they're hunting with someone or if they don't want to risk hitting everyone (including players in the room) they shouldn't have to.

MRE/ROB don't have the PVP sorts of issues that a room-wide attack spell has. There's absolutely no reason not to comine these spells.

- Smeg
Re: MRE and ROB 10/10/2003 02:31 PM CDT
Plus, in the case of LB and CL, they act completely differently anyway. Can't really speak towards TKT/TKS, but from the sound of it, TKS is just a one-cast fire-and-forget version of TKT.

-Syralon
Cleric of Ushnish
"Remember, DR is all about fantasy. Many people invest themselves in their heroic fantasy; they're absolutely aghast when people don't leap to help them. After all, they're the hero." - Larcus' Player
Re: MRE and ROB 10/10/2003 03:10 PM CDT
ES can be group cast by a warrior mage of sufficient skill.

Ryeka and a warrior mage

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: MRE and ROB 10/10/2003 03:19 PM CDT
Lets hope all this no comment stuff from GM's means they are looking into it.

Daxlynn