Shatter 07/17/2002 10:49 AM CDT
I don't seem to be getting much (or any) more bang for my buck when prepping shatter above the min prep armor damage-wise. Once I find where the creature doesn't shake off the effects of the armor damage with MR, there's no reason to add more mana, from what I see.

IE: It'll take me 3 preps of shatter to destroy an adan'f warrior's shield, regardless if the preps were 8 or 18.
Re: Shatter 07/17/2002 10:56 AM CDT
Im not a 100% sure maybe you can find damissak post that stated extra mana only helps in overcoming magical resistance. after you overwhelm it the extra mana doesnt do anything. The post is buried somewhere thou.
Shatter and citizens 08/10/2002 01:50 AM CDT
Can we cast Shatter on other citizens now ? I haven't had a chance to check yet.
And if we can't, why not ?

Neci
Re: Shatter and citizens 08/10/2002 01:54 AM CDT
>>I haven't had a chance to check yet. And if we can't, why not ?

Aside from the obvious?

-Frogspawn
Re: Shatter and citizens 08/10/2002 09:20 AM CDT
It was decided by the Paladins Gurus that the Smites (and their combination, Shatter) would remain unusable against the 11.

GM Damissak
Re: Shatter and citizens 08/10/2002 10:51 AM CDT
>>It was decided by the Paladins Gurus that the Smites (and their combination, Shatter) would remain unusable against the 11.

I can understand shatter.. but why not smite foe?
Re: Shatter and citizens 08/10/2002 03:01 PM CDT
Alright so when are we going to get another IC reason for why we can't cast shatter on people ? The compact makes no record of a spell called Shatter.

And I echo Pureblade's question about SF. It doesn't damage armor and it's no more powerful then any other damage spell a lot less then other damage spells matter of fact.

Necidem
Re: Shatter and citizens 08/10/2002 03:04 PM CDT
>>It doesn't damage armor

Smite Foe damages armor, but not more then any other guild's spells.
Re: Shatter and citizens 08/10/2002 04:03 PM CDT
> Alright so when are we going to get another IC reason for why we can't cast shatter on people ? The compact makes no record of a spell called Shatter.

(a) A rose by any other name smells just as sweet. Shatter IS Smite Weapon and Smite Shield merged - changing the name doesn't change the nature of the spell itself. It's not like the gods would have let us use it in the old days if we took to calling them Shieldsmacker and Weaponcrusher among ourselves. Chadatru> "Oh, that was okay. He doesn't call that one Smite Weapon, so it doesn't apply to the Compact."

(b) Since magic is still in preview technically, there's no reason to assume there won't be an IC reason once it goes back out of Preview - not that one is necessary. See point A.
Re: Shatter and citizens 08/10/2002 04:13 PM CDT
> I can understand shatter.. but why not smite foe?

Because we are paladins, and we don't go around smacking people with the gifts the gods gave us to DEFEND those people. It's really as simple as that, when it comes right down to it. Yeah, some of those people could definitely use a good smacking, but the gods didn't give us Smite Foe for THAT purpose, and using it that way is abusing the gift. As much as I'd love to shove a Smite Foe down the throats of a few folks I know, I completely understand why things are the way they are, and personally I prefer things this way - a paladin is supposed to stand for law and order, and last I checked, killing people was wrong, period. If you don't believe me, try it in front of a guard and see if they let you get away with it. Lawbreakers and villains should be *brought to justice*, not killed, and certainly, using a gift of the gods to violate the very laws you are trying to uphold is wrong, even when the target probably deserves the death sentence - that's for the magistrates, princes, and barons to decide, not the paladin. Yeah, players do have a right to choose to ignore these rules, but the gods certainly shouldn't make it easy on them (no using Smite Foe on the 11 being a perfect example) nor let them go unpunished for violating the law of the land. Frankly, the Smites need to be turned off for (non-undead) critters that are members of the eleven as well, such as thugs and ruffians.

We are supposed to stand for something. Our spell limitations reflect this. Things like our soul hits reflect this. I'm not sure why this concept is so difficult for people to grasp.
Re: Shatter and citizens 08/10/2002 04:20 PM CDT
>>Smite Foe for THAT purpose

Yes they did.

GMs just don't want us using smite foe against players. That's the bottom line.
Re: Shatter and citizens 08/11/2002 01:46 AM CDT
If you can lift a sword to kill a thief...then so should it be too with magic.

At least allow them to make it "first strike" rules. If someone attacks you or steals from you, the door to use the spell is open and well, there you have it.

Er...should I post this thought in the palie folder, or do the palie gm's read this folder too?

Dark Angel Crusinix
Re: Shatter and citizens 08/12/2002 06:07 AM CDT
> GMs just don't want us using smite foe against players. That's the bottom line.

Bingo!

Lanival ate bunnies. Oh, Lanival is dead, he won't even know if its changed :P
Shatter bugs(?) 09/28/2002 09:31 AM CDT
When you add more mana to shatter and cast it when the critter is wearing armor, it doesn't work more effectively. IE: Casting at 5 does 10 points of damage, casting at 500 does 10 points of damage.

When a peice of equipment breaks, nothing that would be damaged after that peice of equipment gets affected by the spell. This makes the spell noticably harder to use, just because it then takes me 4-6 casts to destroy what 'should' take me 1-3.
Please Help with Shatter 12/06/2002 09:42 AM CST
As per Damissak's request, I am bringing this here from the Paladin folders (although he said take it to "life" magic, I am pretty sure he meant "holy" <grins>)

The Magic "preview" is rapidly drawing to a close, meaning most of the spells are where the GM's want them to be. This causes me a great deal of concern when it comes to shatter.
The spell was redesigned so that it is now most effective against unarmored critters who have been injured or are below the Paladin's level (for the most part).

It seems to me that the whole concept behind the original spells (smite weapon and smite shield) was to allow the Paladin to be more effective against ARMORED critters with weapons, which is exactly opposite of where it is at now.

I really liked smite shield as I could use it to "de-shield" critters like Adan'f Warriors or the Spire denizens, but it can no longer be used to do that.

So, I guess what I am asking is, Is shatter going to remain a spell that only works against "natural" critters, or is there any intent to have it be useful against armored critters? If it is going to be only for natural critters, then is there any chance of getting a NEW spell that works the way smite shield used to? A spell that will allow us to get rid of shields on critters, to be more effective against armored foes?

Because the effect of shatter is spread across ALL of a critter's equipment, the spell is useless against armored foes. A lot of us asked if there was any chance of allowing us to "focus" the effects of shatter so that we could direct the whole force of the spell against a shield, or a weapon, or a single piece of armor etc. I've never seen any kind of response to that request.

Any chance of that happening so that we can use the spell as its original concept intended or are we just out of luck?? Any GM response would be great!

Quick Summary:

1. Is shatter going to remain as is (only good against unarmored critters who are already injured or far below the Paladin's level)?

2. If no, can we get some sort of mechanism for focusing the power of the spell against a single item of equipment, like a shield or weapon (I am NOT asking for TM here!)?

3. If yes, can we get a NEW spell that will do what smite shield and smite weapon were originally designed to do, give Paladins a way of destroying a shield, weapon or piece of armor?

Thanks!

Gloryarm
Re: Please Help with Shatter 12/07/2002 02:03 PM CST
I have to agree with this current perspective on the spell. It works great for dropping the vitality of unnarmored/ natural armored creatures. Works like crap against armor and weapons (which is what the spell is supposed to affect).

As an example I posted on the Paladin boards that on a recent excursion to Aesry, Lennon who was simply looking for some answers about his past was attacked by a mealey-mouthed pirate. Not wanting to just kill the offender he tried to shatter his weapon and armor, as a means to make him run off. After five casts of 6 preped 20 harnessed shatter, none of the pirates items were destroyed. On the next advance Lennon did slay him, he felt he had no other recourse. After praying that the All-god have mercy on both his and the pirates soul he examined the leather jerkin and cutlass and found that while they were scratched and notched, they were not ready to break yet.

125+ mana went into trying to destroy these two low-quality items. Its a joke of a spell...

Additionally, I would like to make a future sugestion for the spell (one suggested by another on the Paladin boards, but I forget whom): Let a self cast of shatter break any webbing or other physical entity binding us.

Thanks a bunch,

--Just a Squire
Re: Please Help with Shatter 12/08/2002 12:23 PM CST
>> As an example I posted on the Paladin boards that on a recent excursion to Aesry, Lennon who was simply looking for some answers about his past was attacked by a mealey-mouthed pirate. Not wanting to just kill the offender he tried to shatter his weapon and armor, as a means to make him run off. After five casts of 6 preped 20 harnessed shatter, none of the pirates items were destroyed. On the next advance Lennon did slay him, he felt he had no other recourse. After praying that the All-god have mercy on both his and the pirates soul he examined the leather jerkin and cutlass and found that while they were scratched and notched, they were not ready to break yet.

One point I'ld like to make here is that damage to weapons and armor (rather than total destruction) is something we'll continue to see. If is the direction of combat equipment damage that it will be quite difficult to completely destroy something. With that said, damage to said equipment is extremely effective in reducing its effectiveness. If you don't believe me, try using equipment like you mentioned the next time you get it (and test relative to unblemished equipment).

This post is not a comment one way or the other with regards to the suggestions made for the spell but I did want to lay out where equipment damage itself stands.

GM Damissak
Re: Please Help with Shatter 12/08/2002 12:30 PM CST
What about the issue where increased mana doesn't increase spell's effectiveness, Damissak?
Re: Please Help with Shatter 12/08/2002 12:40 PM CST
>> What about the issue where increased mana doesn't increase spell's effectiveness, Damissak?

I wasn't commenting specifically on the spell. It isn't one that I have worked on so I don't really know it well.

It is possible that (for the example given) lower mana casts are reaching the single attack maximum allowed damage (to prevent insta-destruction of combat equipment). If that is the case, more mana won't produce more equipment damage since it is already at the max for that cast.

GM Damissak
Shatter Issues 12/16/2002 11:47 AM CST
Just wondering if this has been looked into yet. I love this spell and I'd love to see these things taken care of, because I want to be able to use this thing to the fullest of it's abilities.

1) When something is destroied, anything that would get damaged after that item isn't affected by the spell (everything before is, though). I'm sure this isn't meant to be. The fact that you end up having to cast multiple times when you really shouldn't have to severely hinders the spell.

2) Extra mana does nothing when affecting the target's equipment. If a prep of 5 does '10' damage to a sword, a prep of 50 would do '10 damage as well. This is only the case when affecting equipment, extra mana does do extra damage when attacking the critter's body itself.
Re: Shatter Issues 12/16/2002 12:02 PM CST
>> 1) When something is destroied, anything that would get damaged after that item isn't affected by the spell (everything before is, though). I'm sure this isn't meant to be. The fact that you end up having to cast multiple times when you really shouldn't have to severely hinders the spell.

That sounds like a bug (I don't think its been looked into but will get fixed in time).

>> 2) Extra mana does nothing when affecting the target's equipment. If a prep of 5 does '10' damage to a sword, a prep of 50 would do '10 damage as well. This is only the case when affecting equipment, extra mana does do extra damage when attacking the critter's body itself.

That is going to be situational. I think I described what is happening there in another post on shatter (essentiall, in situations where you are already winning by quite a bit, you are hitting the single instance damage limiter - preventing insta destruction of combat equipment).

GM Damissak
Re: Shatter Issues 12/16/2002 12:13 PM CST
>>That sounds like a bug (I don't think its been looked into but will get fixed in time).

That's very much, this will make it more logical to use on tiny critters for me. :)

>>essentiall, in situations where you are already winning by quite a bit, you are hitting the single instance damage limiter - preventing insta destruction of combat equipment

Ah, I didn't know there was a damage limiter.

Hrm, if shatter is never going to be a PvP spell, can that limiter be checked out? I mean, it's not like players will be having their equipment imploded (which is why the limiter was put in place, correct?). I ask that mainly because shatter's primary function (I think) is to damage that armor, unlike spells like AEL, burn, and so on. It's no biggie, since I think the limiter is pretty up there as it is, just a small request.

Also, I'm not quite sure if the limiter is working as intended, then. I can see myself hitting the limit damaging goblin stuff, but I can't believe I've hit the limit on adan'f stuff.
Re: Shatter Issues 12/16/2002 04:51 PM CST
>That is going to be situational. I think I described what is happening there in another post on shatter (essentiall, in situations where you are already winning by quite a bit, you are hitting the single instance damage limiter - preventing insta destruction of combat equipment).

As Shatter is quite limited by the completely OOC Lanival's Compact and therefore cannot be used against players, why does it have the additional limitation of being coded to prevent 'insta destruction of combat equipment'?

I would much rather have the compact struck down and walk the starry road, but as it seems it is here to stay, why add an additional limitation to this spell?

~player of Coine~

Need cosmetic surgery? Get Shift.

http://www.coalition.fairmount.nu
Smite Foe/Shatter - "Vs Stamina" Formula 10/09/2003 10:57 AM CDT
Rigby, after the Bard stuff calmed down, you mentioned you would check into this formula (in regards to high level critters that have insane stamina in order to function as valid ways to learn weapons), and then maybe see if Smite Foe and Shatter are capable spells with or without a "Vs Stamina" formula change.

Any update on this?

I'm also curious if the armor damage cap on shatter can be removed, since the spell is made specifically to damage armor and it will never (as far as I see) be a spell that can be used against other PCs.

As a final 'curious about' thing, is Smite Foe's own checks going to be looked into? It takes way too much into consideration on the targets side of things. It considers impact protection of body armor, impact protection of natural armor, and THEN does the "Vs Stamina" check. That seems like way too much.

Need a babelfish for DragonRealms?
http://www.bakshiloa.com/libraryindex.html