Temples and Shrines 06/02/2014 02:20 AM CDT

Okay, so.... the mana storm hit. Good stuff. As an effect of this, often temples and shrines have very, very poor holy mana amounts. I first noticed this filling up my pilgrim's badge. OOCly.... I can't pin down the exact words as to why this bothers me so much but it really does bother me. ICly if someone wanted to debate with Sylvaeus that the gods are not actually real, or that they don't care about the world or mortals, they could reference this and make a pretty darn good point.

I was very strongly considering having Sylvaeus go himself and also gweth and try to start a social movement to go to these temples and shrines to pray for the Immortals to grace their favored locations with their energies again. I was hoping to start a little campaign beseeching the Gods to stop distancing themselves from us in this way. As far as the GMs go, would this be in vain?
Re: Temples and Shrines 06/02/2014 04:10 AM CDT
If shrines, temples, and holy places don't have strong holy mana, then I don't understand why any place would.
Re: Temples and Shrines 06/02/2014 04:36 AM CDT
>If shrines, temples, and holy places don't have strong holy mana, then I don't understand why any place would.

Elanthia's gods are capricious, not omnipresent, and exude holy mana in a process that apparently defies time. Maybe that altar isn't there tomorrow to accumulate holy mana in the future.

Maybe Glythtide secretly thinks that shrine you built him is really tacky, and he doesn't want to be caught dead in it, but yeah he'll glance your way if you do the proper obeisances there because, gosh, those tiny brief people are so cute when they're dancing around even if those drapes are hideous.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Temples and Shrines 06/02/2014 08:41 AM CDT
The fact that some altars are in incredibly high mana rooms while others are all but devoid of holy mana should lead us to believe that some are paid more attention too by the Immortals. However I suspect that mechanically a different reason exists.

When the new mana levels were introduced, four? Five years ago? Someone said something in reference to how the rooms were populated with mana levels, but I barely remember what I had for dinner last night.

If you act like prey, do not blame me for acting like the predator I am.
DR_Shaidval @ AIM
Re: Temples and Shrines 06/02/2014 09:56 AM CDT
If I remember correctly, holy mana doesn't populate linearly with time. It's correlated with the presence of the divine, but will leak 'backwards' in time. And just building a shrine never indicates that the 39 will ever attend in person, much like lack of a shrine doesn't preclude some amazing divine thing happening in the middle of the road.

But that's from memory so is more than likely wrong.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Temples and Shrines 06/02/2014 10:03 AM CDT
That's correct, Holy mana implies that that the Immortals (or perhaps broadly defined divine beings, depending on your metaphysics) have, are, or will exert power in the area.

How this interacts with the mana storms is vague at best. Holy mana is still mana and abides by the physics of Elanthia. It's entirely possible that divine influence was "scrambled" by Lyras' storms. Or perhaps the divine influence will reassert itself over time. Or perhaps the universe knew this was going to happen and the reallocation was part of the cosmic plan.

The Immortals have not deigned to comment.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Temples and Shrines 06/02/2014 11:15 AM CDT

<<The Immortals have not deigned to comment.

I had this vision of Urrem'tier in front of a slew of microphones about to say something when a scrawny lawyer type reached up and put his hands in front of the mics before saying "I'm sorry, but the Embodiment of Death has no further comment at this time."

<<No, I get to be an evil sociopath and psychopath when I want to, and kill babies for fun when I want to, but when game events start up, you don't have any right to treat me like a rapist murdering evil villain, you have to respect my rights to go
Re: Temples and Shrines 06/02/2014 12:24 PM CDT
<<The Immortals have not deigned to comment.

It's because they're busy doing this:
http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Outside%20Elanthia%20-%20Life%20in%20the%20Real%20World/Humour/view/1073

and this
http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Outside%20Elanthia%20-%20Life%20in%20the%20Real%20World/Humour/view/995

and this
http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Outside%20Elanthia%20-%20Life%20in%20the%20Real%20World/Humour/view/1004

Nikpack
Re: Temples and Shrines 06/02/2014 01:22 PM CDT
I forgot how amusing those are.
Re: Temples and Shrines 06/07/2014 11:53 PM CDT
What do you all think of clerics and paladins being able to RESEARCH slightly faster at shrines and certain temple locations? It makes sense to me, anyway.
Re: Temples and Shrines 06/08/2014 11:07 AM CDT
Oh and I'd like to echo that those god stories cracked me up. lol