Skill Merger's effect on certain Khri? 07/19/2010 07:15 PM CDT
>>Potentially not much. No khri are planned to change in effect,

Khri A Boosts Skill A
Khri B Boosts Skill B

Skill A and B will become skill C, correct?

What's going to happen to Khri A and B?

Khri E Boosts Skill E

Skill E goes away and is now part of larger Skill comprised of skills E, R, J, L, and H.

There is now skill O.

What's Khri E going to boost now that all skill-checks related to skill E are based on skill O?

Considering that the single system supporting the Skill E are gone. Similar to how Boosting the current Mechanical Lore skill also boosts the skill-checks involved in all of its many facets.

Going further...
Khri E is part of combo Z.

Combo Z boosts a set of skills completely unrelated to the new skill O.

There are other Combos that gave smaller boosts to skill E without requiring Khri E.

Just raising the question of how exactly will Khri remain and same? why will they if they do?

Without using E and X:

Escaping is becoming part of a Megaskill yet unnamed. This skill will cover (as far as I've read) swimming, climbing, foraging, escaping and animal lore; Perhaps one more or less.

There are various abilities (Thief Khris) and spells (Ranger mainly) that effect specific facets of this new Megaskill.

It doesn't follow logic (Or the rest of DR's mechanics) to have Spells and Supernatural Abilities boost relatively exclusive parts of what should be a single skill-check.

There are no spells or active abilities that that enhance specific facets of the currently Mechanical lore. Only passive Guild bonuses such as Barbarian forging, Rangers tanning, and Traders embroidering.

This isn't an attack on the skill merger or an attempt to get new Abilities/Spells along will the merged skills.

Just raising the question as to what will happen when a Guild end up with several spells that boost the same skill. Or when a Khri that once boosted a single, relatively short-lived and rarely used, skill ends up without application. This same Khri being part of a combo.

On more biased note, I look forward to everything in store for DR. It seems uncharacteristic of the Thief guild to have Khri Flight boost a character's ability to swim, climb, forage, etc. Personally I'd take a Khri that has broader function beyond helping me shop in the Plaza with warrants.
Re: Skill Merger's effect on certain Khri? 07/19/2010 07:21 PM CDT
>Escaping is becoming part of a Megaskill yet unnamed. This skill will cover (as far as I've read) swimming, climbing, foraging, escaping and animal lore; Perhaps one more or less.

IIRC escaping, climbing, swimming is planned to become "Athletics" and foraging, animal lore is planned to become "Outdoorsmanship"...

-pete