Prepping in 3.0 08/22/2010 10:20 PM CDT
I have a suggestion for changing the way a spell's mana is set.

Currently if I prep a spell at 20, harness 10 and have 5 in cambrinth, the net effect is a spell cast at 35.

What I would like is that a spell prepped at 20 is always a spell cast at 20; the prep-number is the total amount of mana to cast the spell at, and that mana is then drawn from sources in order of efficiency.

So to repeat the above example, if I prep a spell at 20, harness 10 and have 5 in cambrinth, when I cast the spell, it first draws from cambrinth. This is insufficient to reach 20, so it next draws from held mana. The running total is now 15, which is still insufficient to reach 20. So it then draws 5 mana from attunement. The final accounting is 5 from attunement, 10 from held mana and 5 from cambrinth, for a total of 20 mana as desired.
Re: Prepping in 3.0 08/22/2010 11:48 PM CDT
Good timing. I was just composing my own suggestion along similar lines. My suggestion is to be able to specify where the mana is coming from. For instance, ">prep bolt 15 cambrinth" would take 15 mana from my cambrinth and none from attunement (assuming I had 15 mana stored).

This idea may have worked in another time and another place, but here it immediately fell on its face and went "Durp durp." - Armifer
Re: Prepping in 3.0 08/23/2010 12:52 PM CDT
>What I would like is that a spell prepped at 20 is always a spell cast at 20; the prep-number is the total amount of mana to cast the spell at, and that mana is then drawn from sources in order of efficiency.

What a cool idea. I love it!

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
http://tinyurl.com/HanryuTanning
Re: Prepping in 3.0 08/23/2010 01:23 PM CDT
Have one little issue with this idea.. I don't really believe it's more efficient.

At upper levels of magic, I almost always tend to prep a spell at minimum and harness up to the cap. It's always going to be easier to do it that way, imho. It's already possible to draw only a certain amount of mana from cambrinth (if you charge a camb orb to max, or 105ish mana, it will only draw out 70 if you're casting a spell that caps at 70), you're just hindering yourself by saying only "X" amount of mana can go into "spell".

The way it is right now allows me to easily figure out exactly how long I need to prep a spell to cast it <at cap>. For instance, as a cleric I know it takes me roughly 10 seconds each to cast MaPP at 45, MPP at 60, Vigil at 70, PFE at 55, but that I need full prep to cap Benediction or Murrula's Flames.

As far as prepping spells at whatever mana that I would like to see would be the same thing at the high end as at the low end, i.e...

>prep pfe
Since you're not feeding enough power into the spell pattern to make it coherent, you quickly work your way to the minimum required.
You begin chanting a prayer to invoke the Protection from Evil spell.
=min prep

whereas

prep pfe 300
Since you're feeding too much power into the spell to make it worthwhile you quickly work you way down to the maximum.
You begin chanting...
=max prep

Would clear up some of those horrible typos on prep that you don't notice that suddenly leave you with 5% attunement.

Segmere
Shadow Priest, Baron's Own Militia

"The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep." ~WC Fields
Re: Prepping in 3.0 08/23/2010 01:35 PM CDT
Isn't it intentional that you CANNOT cast a spell solely from cambrinth?
Re: Prepping in 3.0 08/23/2010 02:01 PM CDT
>>Isn't it intentional that you CANNOT cast a spell solely from cambrinth?

It may be, and if so I'm curious as to why. It's never made sense to me that we can store power in and draw power from cambrinth, but no matter what we have to use X amount of attunement to power the spell.

This idea may have worked in another time and another place, but here it immediately fell on its face and went "Durp durp." - Armifer
Re: Prepping in 3.0 08/23/2010 02:37 PM CDT
I believe it's because you have to have some amount of mana from your attunement to setup the matrix. The cambrinth then just provides energy to the matrix.

__
* Sahfra was just struck down!
Tachid smugly says, "I'm telling Lyras. We should replace you.
Re: Prepping in 3.0 08/23/2010 02:42 PM CDT
>>It may be, and if so I'm curious as to why. It's never made sense to me that we can store power in and draw power from cambrinth, but no matter what we have to use X amount of attunement to power the spell.

I play almost exclusively barbarians and thieves lately, so take this with a grain of salt I suppose.

I'm pretty sure the concept behind it is that in order to create the basic spell pattern, you have to use direct manipulation of the mana streams (or something like that).

It's essentially analogous to the concept of being able to operate an automobile engine with any number of combustible substances in theory (similar to powering a spell with cambrinth or from harnessed streams) but you still have to begin the process by using a spark drawn on power from the battery. Minimum prep is simply the lowest amount of energy you can use to establish that basic pattern, and beyond that you can fuel the established pattern from whatever source(s) you want to. The idea is (I think) that you can't manipulate spell energy stored in cambrinth, or 'held streams' in a fine enough manner to produce the subtleties needed to actually establish a spell pattern with them.

At least that's my understanding.

Ogdaro
Re: Prepping in 3.0 08/23/2010 02:59 PM CDT
This is my understanding based on various posts.

Both harnessed energy and cambrinth energy are exactly that, not mana streams. They are energy that can be dumped into an existing pattern to make it stronger, but it still requires an existing pattern to determine what effect is created.

I believe neither cambrinth nor harnessed energy contributes to matrix stability, and thus doesn't help overcome MR, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi, Gor'Tog Barbarian
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: Prepping in 3.0 08/23/2010 03:26 PM CDT
Gotcha.

Re: Prepping in 3.0 08/23/2010 04:08 PM CDT
Whether or not cambrinth/held mana contribute to overcoming MR depends on the type of spell and the type of MR.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Prepping in 3.0 08/23/2010 04:14 PM CDT
>Whether or not cambrinth/held mana contribute to overcoming MR depends on the type of spell and the type of MR.

I don't belive they contribute to the BMR/undead MR type.

I'm not sure what other kind you're talking about, unless you mean barrier spells.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi, Gor'Tog Barbarian
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: Prepping in 3.0 08/23/2010 04:39 PM CDT
> Isn't it intentional that you CANNOT cast a spell solely from cambrinth?

A new magic system can bring a new theory, so this doesn't have to be the case in the next one. But supposing it does, then the idea is easily modified. Make the min prep always come from attunement, but the remainder of the mana is treated as described.

So if I prep a spell at 20, and the spell has a min prep of 5, then 5 mana will come out of attunement automatically. The remaining 15 mana is drawn from cambrinth first, then held mana, and only then attunement.
Re: Prepping in 3.0 08/23/2010 04:42 PM CDT
I've never done extensive testing casting at barbarians, but as far as I know BMR is just the same MR everyone has - just bigger numbers?

Undead MR is different from generic MR and generally a lot more restrictive in what will break it. The ghist is that harnessed mana breaks MR and Undead MR in particular except for certain classes of spells like non-lethal area-of-effect spells, where additional mana does nothing.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Prepping in 3.0 08/23/2010 05:09 PM CDT
The way you prep spells isn't fundamentally changing, although the prepping over max putting it down to max is in fact happening.

-Z
Re: Prepping in 3.0 08/23/2010 05:21 PM CDT
>>The way you prep spells isn't fundamentally changing, although the prepping over max putting it down to max is in fact happening.

Was there any benefit at all to preparing above the mana cap anyway?

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Prepping in 3.0 08/23/2010 06:09 PM CDT
>Was there any benefit at all to preparing above the mana cap anyway?

Not prepping, but if you prep and harness it's not a bad idea to aim for 1 over cap in case you leak. And yes, I still have this problem with over 1100 HA.

~ Kougen

"I, too, routinely compare DragonRealms to being maimed by a sandpaper-wielding sadist." -Armifer
Re: Prepping in 3.0 08/23/2010 06:19 PM CDT
>The way you prep spells isn't fundamentally changing,

Dang. Will cyclic spells work similarly? Will you set a pulse number, which is how much is drawn from attunement each pulse, and then any held mana or cambrinthed mana will be added on top of that?
Re: Prepping in 3.0 08/23/2010 06:21 PM CDT
>Was there any benefit at all to preparing above the mana cap anyway?

Gonna go ahead and say no.. only time I ever prep over max is when I enter "omg super typo crap I lost my scroll spell" mode. :-p

Segmere
Shadow Priest, Baron's Own Militia

"The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep." ~WC Fields
Re: Prepping in 3.0 08/23/2010 07:16 PM CDT
>Dang. Will cyclic spells work similarly?

The Cyclic prep will work more like you were describing, where you set the value and then your sources of mana contribute to make it happen each pulse.

-Z
Re: Prepping in 3.0 08/23/2010 08:06 PM CDT
> The Cyclic prep will work more like you were describing, where you set the value and then your sources of mana contribute to make it happen each pulse.

Wonderful. I confess I was only really suggesting this for regular spells so that I could go on to suggest it for cyclic spells; so, from an entirely selfish standpoint, yay.
Re: Prepping in 3.0 08/23/2010 08:46 PM CDT
>The way you prep spells isn't fundamentally changing, although the prepping over max putting it down to max is in fact happening.

Will cambrinth auto-cap itself? It's not a big deal when I typo 'prep pfe 300'. It is when I typo 'charge gold armband 300' and get 2+ minute RT.
Re: Prepping in 3.0 08/24/2010 01:25 AM CDT
will you be able to continuously charge cambrinth for cyclic spells? That is, will I be able to cast a cyclic, and as it drains, say 5 mana from the cambrinth, charge the cambrinth back 5 to keep it at a steady level (hopefully working arcana again)

Taksis
Re: Prepping in 3.0 08/24/2010 01:57 AM CDT
We'll do a more informative post on this stuff shortly, I'd rather make it in the GM announcements folder so it's easier for people to find down the road instead of answering a lot of piecemeal stuff.

-Z
Re: Prepping in 3.0 08/24/2010 02:10 AM CDT
Yay more information! :)

DRPrime - Celeres Turrance
Re: Prepping in 3.0 08/24/2010 02:16 AM CDT
Thanks for taking the time to respond, Zeyurn.
Re: Prepping in 3.0 08/24/2010 02:47 PM CDT
>magic lore about energy v. mana and minimum preps, harness etc...

There's enough retconning going on with the move to Magic3.0 (and DR3.0 for that matter) what's a little more? For the sake of playability retcon what you have to make this suggestion a reality :D

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
http://tinyurl.com/HanryuTanning
Re: Prepping in 3.0 08/24/2010 03:16 PM CDT
I don't like this idea because it makes it harder to fine tune your spell once you've prepped. For me it actually gives you less control of how you cast your spell.

It just seems like a suggestion to make it easier for lazy people to control how much goes into their spells so they don't accidentally backfire.

__
Re: Prepping in 3.0 08/24/2010 03:33 PM CDT
>It just seems like a suggestion to make it easier for lazy people to control how much goes into their spells so they don't accidentally backfire.

Making it easier to manage things isn't a bad thing.

It would also let you use a large cambrinth device and draw only what you need on each cast.

-pete
Re: Prepping in 3.0 08/24/2010 05:32 PM CDT
>>Making it easier to manage things isn't a bad thing.

It doesn't make it easier to manage though. It just changes how you have to manage it while removing fine control after you've prepared the spell.

>>It would also let you use a large cambrinth device and draw only what you need on each cast.

This I can see merit in, just not done the way suggested(seems this is how the cyclic spells will work). Maybe using another command to say how much to take from your cambrinth.

__
Re: Prepping in 3.0 08/26/2010 01:48 PM CDT
>The way you prep spells isn't fundamentally changing, although the prepping over max putting it down to max is in fact happening.

Hmm? I can't think of a scenario where prepping over the max actually helps anything. Maybe the MR contest?

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.