Effective Magic training 200+ ranks 09/17/2016 12:37 PM CDT
(Deleted & Reposted due to major typos)

Hello,

I have three characters I've been working on and I've noticed for all three of them there's a sharp increase in difficulty to be able to effectively train magic through pure prep/charge/invoke/cast - yielding neither sufficient experience nor sustainable even in a good mana room.

This has been the case for one of my characters whom was my first experiment into research and has gone full research mode (have not started with symbiosis) and hit 300's smoothly

I started noticing this issue on my second MU in the past few days after hitting 205~210 range and picked up GAF and was dramatically more efficient and faster at training all magic skills (despite the 15 minutes to lock per skill) - tanking my attunement would only bring me up to 4/34 otherwise, whether I try to do bigger casts (charging 6 at a time) or moderate sized casts.

I'm also starting to notice this on another character who just barely hit 200 and having difficulty locking.

Is RESEARCH pretty much required and expected of everyone post 200? I'm struggling to believe that considering the slot cost.

I heard good things about symbiosis, but it all comes down to learning GAF and devoting the spell slots/feats to it.
Re: Effective Magic training 200+ ranks 09/17/2016 12:48 PM CDT
Going to need a bit more info for the most helpful advice. Guild? By locking do you mean 5-magic lock or specific skills?

General info:

1) If magic primary, achieving 5-magic lock is a difficult goal. Try instead to just keep everything in higher mind states, made things much less frantic for me.

2) Might need to try a higher tier of spell difficulty (intro, basic, advanced, etc.). Been a while since I played my Cleric, but as I recall, 200 ranks is right about where you need to start moving to higher tier spells.

3) Cyclicals are useful for background experience.

4) Higher-mana casts/targets will teach better. Try working cambrinth into your routine, much easier on the nerves than pure channeling.

If you have a specific guild question, happy to try and answer, I've played every guild but Empath and Necro up to about circle 50.
Re: Effective Magic training 200+ ranks 09/17/2016 04:16 PM CDT
> I heard good things about symbiosis, but it all comes down to learning GAF and devoting the spell slots/feats to it.

You don't need GAF and slots to use a symbiosis. Everyone knows the Chaos symbiosis automatically if they haven't learned any others.
Re: Effective Magic training 200+ ranks 09/17/2016 04:53 PM CDT
>If you have a specific guild question, happy to try and answer, I've played every guild but Empath and Necro up to about circle 50.

I'm afraid aside from the Cleric its the two guilds you don't invest in :\

Good point on spell tiers. I'm going to accept that Necro's gonna be stuck on that end because I dislike the idea of spam casting necro spells for the sake of mindless training.

As for the Empath and Cleric I hadn't consciously thought about a higher tier spell after I had the 5 covered (PM, Attunement, Warding, Utility, Augmentation) so I'll review the spell lists again.

Research cycle does allow me to maintain a consistent 17/34 by the time I complete a full cycle, though, it just doesn't give me time to do much else than pre 200. (I could collect, braid vines, climb, play music to supplement, but that's still over a full hour cycle opportunity loss compared to just locking things 20-30 min and go hunting)

>You don't need GAF and slots to use a symbiosis. Everyone knows the Chaos symbiosis automatically if they haven't learned any others.

Don't I still at least need GAF to complete a Chaos symbiosis for use?
Re: Effective Magic training 200+ ranks 09/17/2016 05:08 PM CDT
>>Don't I still at least need GAF to complete a Chaos symbiosis for use?

Nope, you can jangle the mana streams just fine without it.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Effective Magic training 200+ ranks 09/17/2016 05:54 PM CDT
Oh wow, thanks for the clarification, and looks like it raises the difficulty by quite a bit!

Is there an in game help/information on Chaos Symbiosis? I don't see it under PREP HELP, so I always assumed I would just see it under my RESEARCH LIST once i learned symbiosis feat.
Re: Effective Magic training 200+ ranks 09/17/2016 11:49 PM CDT

Prep symbiosis is life, and humorously enough 200 ranks is right about when you can start to cast it for most spells.
Re: Effective Magic training 200+ ranks 09/18/2016 12:39 PM CDT

As a spoiler -

Empath trains Aug and utility with ad, warding with AC, debil with lethargy or nb, and tm with gs or paralyze.

Necro trains warding with maf. Aug with obf, util with roc or rog, tm with vivi or usol, and debil with HP or vs.

I started usibg chaos, in all characters, when I was casting at more than double on the most difficult to cast spells , approximately.