Pedantic Sorcery Preparation Comment 06/25/2015 02:17 PM CDT
This is super trivial, and I'm fully prepared to accept that I am the only person in the universe that cares about it, but I figured there's little harm in mentioning it, at least.

When you prepare a sorcerous (outside of your mana type) spell, you see...

>prep Compost 5
That won't affect your current attunement very much.
You trace an angular sigil in the air, shaping the pattern of the Compost spell. Casting rationality aside, you prepare to yoke unseen mana streams to fuel your sorcery.

I feel as if the "casting rationality aside" line is coming late, because you're already preparing the spell. I feel like it makes more sense to be...

>prep Compost 5
That won't affect your current attunement very much.
Casting rationality aside, you prepare to yoke unseen mana streams to fuel your sorcery.
You trace an angular sigil in the air, shaping the pattern of the Compost spell.

Again, I know it's silly and pedantic, but it's been on my mind. Feel free to go back to discussing things that actually have any significance at all.

I

Kneebiter Zhunee just arrived.
R>
Zhunee glances around the room and says, "Someone pull my finger."
R>
Kneebiter Zhunee runs west.
Re: Pedantic Sorcery Preparation Comment 06/25/2015 02:24 PM CDT
I'm pretty sure it's not the preparing of the spell that makes it sorcery though. It's using mana of a type that is not your own that is sorcerous, in which case the messaging is in the perfect spot.
Re: Pedantic Sorcery Preparation Comment 06/25/2015 05:26 PM CDT
Oh interesting comment. Is there a split second between the preparing of the spell and then when you start to pump mana into it where you haven't committed sorcery?
Re: Pedantic Sorcery Preparation Comment 06/25/2015 09:31 PM CDT
>> Oh interesting comment. Is there a split second between the preparing of the spell and then when you start to pump mana into it where you haven't committed sorcery?

I'm not sure I know what you mean. I suppose it could be argued that you haven't committed sorcery until you actually cast the spell. I'd say that preparing a sorcerous spell is more like... thinking about committing sorcery? I don't know; hadn't thought about it before now.

What I'm saying is more that the sequence of events - which granted take place over the matter of a few milliseconds - is thus, as I see it:
1) You decide that you're going to cast a spell.
2) Since the spell is sorcerous, you push aside your rational mind and ready yourself to access unseen mana.
3) You perform the physical gestures (or chant, or whatever) needed to form the spell pattern.

Of course, the difference between the messaging being 1 2 3 or 1 3 2 is literally zero, but I had been thinking about it, and I was running a sorcery script this morning on my commute and got it in my head to mention it, since it had been on the periphery of my mind anyhow. It's super unimportant, but I do know that occasionally some of the folks behind the scenes make small changes like this because they too had a bug in their brains about it, or as part of larger changes. Basically like, "I was fixing X anyhow, and technically Y would make more sense to message this way, so I went ahead and did that while I was in there." If it doesn't get changed it'll just continue to bug me, which is ultimately not a deal of any size.

I

R>
R>
Re: Pedantic Sorcery Preparation Comment 06/25/2015 09:42 PM CDT
>>What I'm saying is more that the sequence of events - which granted take place over the matter of a few milliseconds - is thus, as I see it:
2) Since the spell is sorcerous, you push aside your rational mind and ready yourself to access unseen mana.
3) You perform the physical gestures (or chant, or whatever) needed to form the spell pattern.

Right, but as commented, perhaps it's ...

2) You begin to perform the physical gestures (or chant, or whatever) needed to form the spell pattern.
3) The act of trying to shove the wrong sort of mana into that gesture, or chant, or whatever is when you push aside your rational mind and ready yourself to access unseen mana.
Re: Pedantic Sorcery Preparation Comment 06/25/2015 10:45 PM CDT
>> Right, but as commented, perhaps it's ...

It's a valid possibility you're proposing. I think it's more likely that you need to consciously disregard rationality prior to attempting to push elemental mana (for example) into a life-mana pattern. Think of it like this: when you prepare a spell without choosing a quantity of mana, you "quickly work your way to the minimum required." This is something you can do with a split-second decision; you realize that you aren't feeding in enough energy, so you make a sudden adjustment. The messaging from sorcery doesn't appear to be the same type of last-moment switch; casting rationality aside isn't a thing one does lightly - that is in fact one reason, I believe, for the messaging existing at all. Since you'd need to make a conscious decision to discard rational behavior, it would stand to reason that it preempts your actual preparation of the spell. First you make the decision to cast the spell (which involves eschewing rationality), and then you begin preparing the spell; not begin preparing the spell, then abandon your rationality. It's just a little backwards, is all.

I

R>
R>
Re: Pedantic Sorcery Preparation Comment 06/25/2015 11:10 PM CDT

> casting rationality aside isn't a thing one does lightly

Completely disagree with this. People do it all the time. Like the guy that decides he needs to turn right when he's in the left hand lane. The rational thing to do is to go straight or turn left but no, he goes for it. It's a split second decision.
Re: Pedantic Sorcery Preparation Comment 06/26/2015 12:40 AM CDT
Or it could be that due to the order of operations in magic reversing it would be extremely irritating.

Yup. Could definitely be that one.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Pedantic Sorcery Preparation Comment 06/26/2015 07:10 AM CDT
>> Or it could be that due to the order of operations in magic reversing it would be extremely irritating.

I was pretty sure this was a factor.

I

R>
R>
Re: Pedantic Sorcery Preparation Comment 06/26/2015 07:43 AM CDT
>>>> Or it could be that due to the order of operations in magic reversing it would be extremely irritating.

>>I was pretty sure this was a factor.

Should we not read into it then, and just go with whatever view of rationality fits our character?
Re: Pedantic Sorcery Preparation Comment 06/26/2015 07:50 AM CDT
I try not to read into system limitations.

I

R>
R>