Prev_page Previous 1
Barrier Feedback 06/28/2014 08:19 PM CDT
While I can look at the code and tell how spells stack up all night, I'm curious about player experiences.

So tell me about the following spells. How useful do you find them? Which are the good ones and which ones are terrible? Why?

Please try and keep the answers fairly short - there's a lot of spells here - but I preemptively appreciate the input.

Anti Barriers
Mark of Arhat
Divine Radiance
Heighten Pain

Traditional Barriers
Cage of Light
Ethereal Shield
Grounding Field
Protection from Evil
Minor Physical Protection
Naming of Tears
Calcified Hide
Aspirant's Aegis
Manifest Force

SvS Barriers
Psychic Shield
Redeemer's Pride
Essence of Yew

Integrity Barrier
Shear
Worm's Mist
Soldier's Prayer
Lay Ward

TM Barrier
Aether Cloak
Veil of Ice
Ghost Shroud
Glythtide's Joy

Empath Trickery
Perseverance of Peri'el
Iron Constitution

Cleric Stuff No One Really Understands
Soul Shield
Sanyu Lyba

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Barrier Feedback 06/28/2014 08:33 PM CDT
<<Mark of Arhat - this is an anti-barrier? I thought it was +fire damage. And I love it.

<<Ethereal Shield - terrible spell now. Does nothing noticeable.

<<Grounding Field - Clunky mechanics, I didn't even bother picking it up.

<<Manifest Force - Seriously, this spell is game breaking almost. there needs to be like a 5 minute cooldown on it.

<<Lay Ward - Fills a niche. I love this spell and use it frequently.

<<Aether Cloak - Bread and butter. I love love love this spell. It plays to the war mage perfectly. I sacrifice my tm, to stop yours, AND make you pay if you're not observant.

<<Veil of Ice - Great anti tm spell defense. I use it layered with Aether cloak.
Re: Barrier Feedback 06/28/2014 08:39 PM CDT
My only two cents from a Moon Mage PvE only perspective are:

1. Standard barriers are very useful in PvE. The others are meh. Handy for situational use, but not something I'm going to be using all the time. E.g. Lay Ward is wonderful at what it does, but I only need to use it against a handful of things so I didn't pick it. I would likely temporarily memorize it if I hunt something where it would be useful. Even so, it is still less situational than Psychic Shield, which while also good at what it does, is so situational in PvE that I only use it as my training spell (no restrictions on casting, automatically known as a pre-req for better spells.) Cage of Light is also wonderful at what it does and I can use it effectively no matter the situation.

2. Shear feels too restrictive. I can see it being useful in PvP, but in PvE the trade off for the occasional stun isn't worth the cost of using it.
Re: Barrier Feedback 06/28/2014 08:47 PM CDT
>>Mark of Arhat - this is an anti-barrier? I thought it was +fire damage. And I love it.

Eh. Yeah. Mechanically a damage amp is just a barrier with a + instead of a -. Thus "Anti-barrier".

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Barrier Feedback 06/28/2014 08:50 PM CDT
I love both POP and IC but I tend to over hunt a lot. IC I know isn't super effective at low circles.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: Barrier Feedback 06/28/2014 10:15 PM CDT
CoL - Almost constant use. Would be cool if it waxed and waned like moonblade moon bonus. Katamba cage is strongest when Katamaba is strong. Yadda.

MAF - PvE it's just there on top of CoL and does the job. PvP with it alone, I haven't done in a long time.

Psy Shield - It's usage outside of PvP is non-existant. Hunting magic using creatures at level, Lay Ward stops everything. Stops mind attacks before they hit Psy, in PvP it is beautiful.

Shear - Shear on it's own I only use for training. Shear in a moonblade node, awesome for PvP swap and swoops.

Lay Ward - PvE it's tops. PvP it's pretty close to tops too. Use all the time.

--Sunny
Re: Barrier Feedback 06/28/2014 10:31 PM CDT

Mark of Arhat

Used this more than a few times and have noticed 0 difference having it up. Taking the time it takes to cast it is better used just flinging another TM spell. RIP old MoA

Ethereal Shield

Has this actually ever done anything other than train magic?

Grounding Field

Works well for 1 cast, Typically people are smart enough to cast the opposite afterwards.

Manifest Force

Only reason I survive long enough to cast a few spells

Lay Ward

Seems to do it's job.

TM Barrier

Aether Cloak

Does it's job while sacrificing the casters TM aswell

Veil Of Ice

Nice to have when you need to cast tm and can't use AC. Seems like a TM version of MAF with the exception of AE breaking it in 1 cast.

- Erixx
Re: Barrier Feedback 06/28/2014 10:35 PM CDT
I have noticed anti-barrier spells can be used to otherwise obliterate people who don't have barriers up, might i suggest lessening their potency against opponents with no barrier up?
Re: Barrier Feedback 06/28/2014 11:32 PM CDT
<Mark of Arhat

<Used this more than a few times and have noticed 0 difference having it up. Taking the time it takes to cast it is better used just flinging another TM spell. RIP old MoA

Completely agree. MoA seems entirely useless, even when I cast it at 100 mana along with a 100 mana cast of Ignite.

Bring back old MoA please!
Re: Barrier Feedback 06/28/2014 11:42 PM CDT

>Heighten Pain

I find this spell to be alright when its just me, doesn't seem to add a real big chunk of damage like barriers stop. But when i have 2 pets hitting someone while I am shooting them? The little bit of extra damage stacks up nicely. Seems to fit fairly well where it is now. If it got lowered I don't think I would notice it at all with my crossbow and normal TM. But if you raised it I think stacked with two pets it could enter a really dangerous area.

>Calcified Hide

Overall I think this is a great spell. Works well against everything. Likely needs to be switched to just physical damage types?

>Protection from Evil

I know a lot of clerics likely think this spell is fairly weak because it has such a narrow use. But coming from someone on the other side who fights a lot of clerics. This spell is pretty potent. But again, It's good against a single guild and undead/cursed critters.

>Manifest Force

Spell should likely change to being the weakest of all barriers, but should not have stacks. So it's always there but not in 6 almost immune stacks.

>Psychic Shield

Have had this spell stop 3-4 capped casts of a mental spell before fading. So I guess its working as intended?

>Worm's Mist

Seems like everyone I fight that i would want a magic barrier against can quickly and easily remove this spell with a 7-8 second prepared spell.
Used to be one of my absolute favorite spells, but just gets removed instantly at the start of fights. So Rarely gets used anymore.

>Ethereal Shield

This is not just neat messaging when hit with magic? It has an actual effect? Never would have known.

-Zerreck Arkarm
Re: Barrier Feedback 06/29/2014 12:30 AM CDT
My only real issue with HP is that it doesn't seem to do all that much when I need it most, which is against boss mobs. Light hits remain light hits.

I love CH. A ton.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Barrier Feedback 06/29/2014 12:49 AM CDT
> MAF

Use it constantly. It stops me from taking wounds while hunting.g

> Naming of Tears

Didn't pick it up, since MAF is so good.
Re: Barrier Feedback 06/29/2014 02:00 AM CDT
>>I have noticed anti-barrier spells can be used to otherwise obliterate people who don't have barriers up, might i suggest lessening their potency against opponents with no barrier up?

Obliterate?

Can't say I've ever seen MoA or HP be the turning point of a battle, meager addition benefit at best. If it ignored armor and then multiplied damage then that would be obliteration status.

- Erixx
Re: Barrier Feedback 06/29/2014 04:29 AM CDT
>Manifest Force

I use this constantly. Easy to keep recast while hunting for overall protection, and provides a nice opening layer of protection in PvP. It could probably stand to have its protection tweaked down a little bit, but I would hate to see it change form beyond that.

>Lay Ward

This spell fills an excellent niche as a Bard. It certainly doesn't prevent me from getting killed by magic users, but blocking some of the less-powerful casts is a huge help at times, and its limited duration seems like a fair tradeoff for its effects.

>Naming of the Tears

I did pick this spell up just for the added layer of protection, but to be honest it never "feels" like it really adds that much padding. Granted, I can only pump 70 mana into it so far, so kinda hoping that it'll feel a bit more substantial when I can cap it fully. (720 PM, 550 Warding)

>Glythtide's Joy

I honestly never use this spell, and probably wouldn't have picked it up were it not a prereq for the entire Fae Arts spellbook. The concept is nice, but due to its cyclic nature, I find there is pretty much always a better option available in its place, and would prefer to take my chances relying on Lay Ward.

>Redeemer's Pride

Super niche, but effective. I debated for a long while over whether or not to pick this one up, and eventually caved in and grabbed it. Great against Moon Mages and Barbarians especially. Wish it had a broader spectrum of coverage, but also happy with the 1-slot cost for where it is currently.
Re: Barrier Feedback 06/29/2014 04:59 AM CDT
Oh yeah, bards have two other barriers I should give feedback on...

> Glythtide's Joy
> Redeemer's Pride

I have both of these but don't use either. They're purely pre-reqs.

Since I have MISD, I'm not sure why I chose REPR rather than ALB as the prereq for RAGE. I might change that. If I were hunting something with a dangerous mental attack, I might find REPR useful, but as an ablative barrier it would be a pain to constantly recast it. Said attack would need to be in just the right zone of dangerous-but-not-too-frequent for REPR to be useful.

The fact that GJ is an integrity barrier really limits it. It only helps if it completely stops the spell, which means I need to be inflicting a large integrity hit; anything less, and the spell still hits me for full effect. But to inflict a large integrity hit, I need to be getting a large success on the stat contest. If I can dominate a target in a stat contest, odds are I'm not threatened by their TM. Especially when I can use something like DEMA to lower their discipline (and thus TM accuracy) without using my cyclic slot.
Re: Barrier Feedback 06/29/2014 05:49 AM CDT
All cast at the max.

Maf

I use it all the time, no wounds for 6 hits where i hunt.

Tears

I use this, is seems to work, seems to take hard hits down to good, good to light. I still take damage, but it lasts a lot longer than Maf for me, due to not having a limited number of hits.

Joy

I have it, I have not used it recently.

Repr

I rarely use this, I wandered into cabalists for a look the other day. They are above my skills. Repr was worn down quickly in there, but it seemd to work well for the first few attacks. It never lasted long.

Rezzian
Re: Barrier Feedback 06/29/2014 07:34 AM CDT
I presume we're just focusing on this list for now;

>Mark of Arhat, Divine Radiance, Heighten Pain

I don't use these as anything but Debil trainers. MoA and HP both seemed to make a difference, but the time to cast is time not spent firing off a TM, so, it's probably a wash. Not sure how to fix that. DR has no discernible effect AFAI can tell.

>Cage of Light, Ethereal Shield, Grounding Field, Protection from Evil, Minor Physical Protection, Naming of Tears, Calcified Hide, Aspirant's Aegis, Manifest Force

Mixed bag. CoL, MPP, Name, CH and AA all seem to noticeably protect, but that may be due to the messaging. CoL is a must for over hunting and feels well balanced given the moon limitation, MPP and AA are both perfect staples for their guilds. CH is potent feeling, but evidently has a 'total damage nullification' that I wasn't even aware of, which is neat, but not terribly apropos I feel given that I don't really over hunt with my Necromancer. Name, in my opinion, is fine, but accessible far too late; 40th circle is too high a requirement.

I haven't used GaF much, seems very potent for situational PvE and completely useless for PvP.

Almost all my characters were putting up MaF, but I'm not sure I'll pick it up again on all my characters.

>SvS Barriers

I admittedly don't PvP with much frequency, so I find these largely just magic trainers. Critter magic is too wonky in my mind to justify hunting critters that would make using these spells useful in PvE. For PvP, I'd be kind of surprised if you had the time to get one of these off before SvS spells started coming, but like I said, I don't PvP a lot.

>Integrity Barrier

Fairly useful against most critter magics, seems to come with enough limitations to be reasonable. Again though, critter magic seems wonky. The limitations are fairly severe.

>TM Barrier

I feel these can be a bit over powered, by in large. My sense is, and I haven't tested this against large disparity in skills, that they nearly completely shut down TM, which is pretty drastic all things considered.

>Empath Trickery

IC is wholly useless to younger empaths (<250 warding I'm not seeing any use of this spell). PoP is pretty neat, and even only pulling off low end versions of it (I can get a 180 mana cast), it seems to be doing it's job.

>Cleric Stuff No One Really Understands

At the risk of getting into GvG, I think these are chuckle worthy examples of how over developed and kitted out Clerics are. Yes? They are... neat?

I think the name of the game here is that early on, a physical barrier is very useful for hunting, since you have less ability and tools for surviving trouble, and they need a way of scaling up with you. SvS and TM barriers seem to be primarily useful for PvP, since there tend to be critter options that don't use SvS/TM attacks, which are, in any case, wonky to begin with.
Re: Barrier Feedback 06/29/2014 08:00 AM CDT
> MoA and HP both seemed to make a difference, but the time to cast is time not spent firing off a TM, so, it's probably a wash. Not sure how to fix that.

One solution would be to put damage amplification on a cyclic. Chorus of Madmen, please.
Re: Barrier Feedback 06/29/2014 08:04 AM CDT
<<Can't say I've ever seen MoA or HP be the turning point of a battle, meager addition benefit at best. If it ignored armor and then multiplied damage then that would be obliteration status.>>

Haha, nice, and true.

<<Cage of Light>> I've never noticed any actual functionality out of COL, but I love how it looks. It's no MAF, that's for sure.

<<Protection from Evil>> Beast mode vs undead and necros.

<<Manifest Force>> Beast mode vs everything. I think this spell could probably be almost balanced though if an attacker were able to strip ALL "hits" from it in one shot. As it is, I can recast it capped in the time it takes someone to strip it with multiple attacks (with the exception of some especially good attacks).

<<Psychic Shield>> Single-handedly the only reason my tears have not drown out the boards because of PvP vs clerics. Without psy shield, my cleric strategy is "run" (and hopefully before soul attrition is cast, otherwise, even that isn't enough).

<<Shear>> Devastatingly poor. It's just not useful in its current form. It's only worthwhile when fully capped (otherwise fully capping incoming spells tend to blow by it completely intact) and since a single outgoing spell will weaken it from the cap....it's pointless. Granted, with LW, you can extent its usefulness to slightly below capped, but still, it's just not helpful as long as outgoing spells weaken it or are weakened themselves. I much prefer the total lockout approach of old shear or AC. At least that's an excuse to make the barrier truly work.

<<Lay Ward>> Must have secondary barrier. Big bang for the buck stacked with anything else. Great PvE.

<<Aether Cloak>> Nasty good. Basically TM invincibility with an amazing trade-off on a weapon secondary guild (imagine rangers or thieves with total TM immunity). I think it'd be more fair a regular spell that could be dispelled, but it's not OP enough that I really have a reason for that request, other than the fact I play a MM.

<<Ghost Shroud>> This was outstanding vs TM at high mana in 3.0, but I haven't played with it at all in 3.1.

<<Iron Constitution>> Pretty sure this is the anti-backstab, but haven't tested it much.

<<Sanyu Lyba>> The best magic barrier in the game, by miles (even over AC). Without psy shield, this is magic immunity without any drawback whatsoever.
Re: Barrier Feedback 06/29/2014 08:08 AM CDT
<<Sanyu>>

<<I've used it a few times blue I'm unimpressed. If I want to block spell casting I typically lead with Hulp, passive abilities are nice but I've never been supper excited about using it l. Could use some love.>>

Consider my mind blown...

It's a testament to clerics that you don't even play with sanyu because you're so confident in HULP. The reaso sanyu is so, so, so much better is that you don't have to see me, catch me, cast on me, or otherwise care about me even attacking, in order to nuke my magic. Lead with HULP? That assumes you, as a survival tert cleric, saw the MM or necro in the first place, right? Granted, Watch is overpowered as heck, but in a roaming fight, relying on HULP vs a necro or MM is just not even close to sanyu. Lyba is sick. I can't see how you possibly improve that spell more.
Re: Barrier Feedback 06/29/2014 08:16 AM CDT
>>I presume we're just focusing on this list for now;

If there are barrier spells I missed that aren't on this list please let me know.

-Raesh

Re: Barrier Feedback 06/29/2014 08:30 AM CDT
>Iron Constitution:

I really like this spell, but word is it leaves much to be desired at lower levels. It has an interesting niche that I think it performs quite well. It's a spell that's simultaneously both extremely weak (to the point of doing nothing) and extremely powerful (to the point of reducing infinity damage down to a moderate amount).

>Perseverance of Peri'el:

This one's just awesome. It keeps vitality loss in check against difficult opponents, and its ablative nature feels pretty balanced. Also good for allowing you to throw vitality around while field healing without having to worry so much about being obliterated by a stray attack.

>Tranquility (this was missing from the SvS section of the list)

Utility is a bit limited for me on SvS barriers since I don't really get into PvP situations much, but it's nice to have an X vs Fortitude barrier in your back pocket anyway. It seems to work nicely from the little bit of testing I've done with it. Usually I'm just using it for the Discipline buff though.

>Lay Ward:

Great against magic-using creatures.

>Manifest Force:

I don't really use this one, but I think it would be better if it ablated differently. Instead of blocking X damage 6 times (where X is some huge number), I think it would be better if it blocked Y total damage before being depleted, with a maximum of Z reduction on any given strike. So it could be destroyed by either many light attacks or few stronger attacks. And the duration should probably remain in place after it's broken, such that it can't be recast until the original duration expires (or you dispel it from yourself I suppose, but it would obviously have to be un-RELEASEable).

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: Barrier Feedback 06/29/2014 09:52 AM CDT
>Consider my mind blown...

>It's a testament to clerics that you don't even play with sanyu because you're so confident in HULP. The reaso sanyu is so, so, so much better is that you don't have to see me, catch me, cast on me, or otherwise care about me even attacking, in order to nuke my magic. Lead with HULP? That assumes you, as a survival tert cleric, saw the MM or necro in the first place, right? Granted, Watch is overpowered as heck, but in a roaming fight, relying on HULP vs a necro or MM is just not even close to sanyu. Lyba is sick. I can't see how you possibly improve that spell more.

It's not that I'm so confident in HULP, moreso that a lot of those abilities (Hulp, IT, SL) have some overlap. I agree the passive ability in SL is nice and can break up a combo for guilds that need to chain some abilities together, but there's other spells that aren't as niche that solve that problem as well. I could keep SL up for guilds that need to combo abilities like Stun Foe/Halt + Shatter or I can have Anti-Stun up and Lay Ward that will either reduce/block potency or break out of stuns and let me go on the offensive. Now that the magic preview is over, and we have limited numbers of slots I don't feel that it's a required spell for me to choose. I've left spell slots open for some that i'm undecided on, and i'm sure time will tell but right now IT + Hulp and defensive abilities like Anti Stun and Lay Ward are enough to .

SL also doesn't help against IP + BG, or Dazzle/MB + SLS either (idk if this is a valid tactic anymore, I haven't faced a MM in 3.1.)
Re: Barrier Feedback 06/29/2014 09:54 AM CDT
Mark of Arhat - Unimpressive. The messaging is cool and the idea behind it is sound, but it doesn't seem to even do anything except give off messaging. I can't think of a time where it's worth casting over either another TM spell, or another debil spell. I'd add more damage to a target by stunning them or casting a TM spell at whatever mana I planned to cast MoA at than by using this.

Veil of Ice - Fantastic spell, effective without being overpowered. The few complaints I've seen about it were mostly due to people not trying to remove it with dispelling, but rather by throwing spells at it until it's gone.

Aether Cloak - Great spell. You really feel the tradeoff and it makes you play smart - It's not overpowered IMO because you give up your biggest strength to deny your opponent theirs. You can work around it, but often people don't have a backup plan. Being unable to use your own TM means that if you WANT to get a TM spell off, you have to properly plan it out, drop it strategically, and try and get it back up before retaliation. It's cyclic nature is annoying to people, but it also prevents us running another cyclic at the same time. I will say that I would never even consider taking this spell if it wasn't cyclic as it currently is or if it stopped pulses when you were disabled, because the primary value in it is it not being removable - Veil of Ice becomes superior otherwise, offering you similarly effective protection without shutting down your own TM. WM's have the best potential toolbox for shutting down AC if MoA ever becomes useful, in that MoA + Ignite = potentially significant elemental damage that is not targeted.

Ethereal Shield - Laughable. It didn't do much of anything before the rewrites, but back then at least it was useful because there were so many ways we could kill ourselves with spells (Fireball in melee, LB, Fire Rain) or you had to cast it to use others (Static Discharge). With that niche of usefulness gone, it needs the dials turned a bit to be useful.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -

- I maintain the Warrior Mage Beginner's Guide at:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Beginner%27s_Warrior_Mage_Guide
Re: Barrier Feedback 06/29/2014 10:10 AM CDT
>If there are barrier spells I missed that aren't on this list please let me know.

Sorry, I misread the list and had a brain fart moment. Tranquility aside, the list seems inclusive for barriers.

I also dig Karthors MaF suggestion.
Re: Barrier Feedback 06/29/2014 10:32 AM CDT
Cage of Light:
Not much to say, aside from the moon limitations. I sort of like the fact that its' potency is influence by the strength of the moon you cast it on.

Calcified Hide:
Makes a noticeable difference if hunting more challenging creatures.

Heighten Pain:
I like this spell, it seems to work a bit but it is not good enough that I need it up all the time. Can't really say much about its' function as an anti-barrier.

Lay Ward:
As others have said, this spell makes all other spell barriers obsolete for at level hunting. Unfortunately just reducing its' potency would make it useless since it is an all or nothing spell. Every magic prime and secondary character I have knows this spell (along with GaF). My ranger and paladin do not, but that is largely due to low circles resulting in limited spell slots.

Minor Physical Protection:
I need this up (in combination with benediction and major physical protection) when I start hunting a new creature. Once I start hitting the mid to high range of a creatures skill I can start dropping buffs. It seems effective but not overpowered given that I use it with two other buffs.

Shear:
This spell is useful. It's ablative nature is limiting since you need to recast a lot if you are swarmed by spammy creatures. Its' biggest limitation is its' tendency to backfire on you. I usually hunt with contingency and this interaction makes shear far less usable.

Protection from Evil:
I rarely use this spell, but that has more to do with having a potent suite of defensive spells and the fact that I often end up hunting non-undead enemies anyway.

Psychic Shield:
As someone who doesn't participate in PvP I have yet to find a use for this spell. As a moon mage I likely have the mental stats to resist a debilitation cast by at level mob anyway.
Re: Barrier Feedback 06/29/2014 10:54 AM CDT

>I agree the passive ability in SL is nice and can break up a combo for guilds that need to chain some abilities together, but there's other spells that aren't as niche that solve that problem as well.

Nice? Break up a combo? Wow. This spell shuts down all my magic for around 45+ seconds. Which is absolutely HUGE in pvp. Being weapons tert I can no longer fall back on them in at level pvp. Should see me and Traim sit there and try and shoot each other with crossbows. We both gave up on weapons like 3 fights back.

SL is not a barrier but I am glad it was brought up, cause not only does it make me not able to cast on the cleric, but I also cannot put up my own magic ward, cast any buffs, heal my pet, or cast any spell whatsoever. If this spell was cyclic, Then i might understand. But it has absolutely no drawback and reduces my ability to cast spells for about 30-45 seconds depending on the cleric.

Re: Barrier Feedback 06/29/2014 10:59 AM CDT
Hmm. Good feedback, keep it coming.

I'm just going to hang back, collect notes, and laugh at how often someone calls a spell borderline overpowered and the next calls it useless rubbish.

-Raesh

Re: Barrier Feedback 06/29/2014 11:47 AM CDT
I hunt exclusively undead/cursed creatures (and Necromancers, but that would actually have to happen for me to say anything about it) so this biases my opinions.

<<Protection from Evil
- I don't leave home without it. It is the second spell I put up in my buff sequence, and it never falls while I'm in combat. When I'm in transition to a new hunting area that I'm scraping the limit of my hunting ability to be in, I feel like it serves a truly vital role. This is the peanut butter to...

<<Minor Physical Protection
- the jelly! Lets face it, I'd use these two spells just for the interlacing messaging, but really, what Cleric wouldn't wear this all the time while hunting? Since I always have the PFE/MPP combo up and hunt undead/cursed mobs, I can't tell which is more responsible for keeping me from getting wounded from incidental hits, but I consider them both equally a part of the sandwich. I do still get wounded from incidental hits over the course of a hunt with both of them up, so they aren't a unstoppable wall of OPness in my opinion.
MAPP is the bread, if you were curious.

<<Ghost Shroud
This always competes with Hydra Hex for me, depending on what I want to do more. In single combat PvP, I'll run this against anyone who attempts to use TM on me, and I haven't experimented enough to tell how much of an impact it really has.

<<MAF
- Although I understand its value in PvP, I haven't PvP'ed much so I don't feel I can render an opinion on it.

<<Soul Shield
<<Sanyu Lyba
- I'm clueless what SL even does. I put it up in one duel, but the person outstripped me so much that my watchsoul never connected. I haven't come across a spell casting mob yet in PvE, although my next hunting area contains them. Lack of experience = no opinion.

If you act like prey, do not blame me for acting like the predator I am.
DR_Shaidval @ AIM
Re: Barrier Feedback 06/29/2014 11:48 AM CDT
>Nice? Break up a combo? Wow. This spell shuts down all my magic for around 45+ seconds. Which is absolutely HUGE in pvp. Being weapons tert I can no longer fall back on them in at level pvp. Should see me and Traim sit there and try and shoot each other with crossbows. We both gave up on weapons like 3 fights back.

>SL is not a barrier but I am glad it was brought up, cause not only does it make me not able to cast on the cleric, but I also cannot put up my own magic ward, cast any buffs, heal my pet, or cast any spell whatsoever. If this spell was cyclic, Then i might understand. But it has absolutely no drawback and reduces my ability to cast spells for about 30-45 seconds depending on the cleric.

So does HULP, it shuts all spell casting down same as SL. Passive vs Active, for arguably longer depending on how much you lose the contest. IT also shuts down the ability to cast the spell stolen for 30-45 seconds as well. There's redundancy in all 3 spells, which is my point. If I need to cancel out someone's spell casting I'm using Hulp because it's a pre-req and needed for other spells and now that spell slots matter there's no value to me in getting spells with similar functions that don't overlap.
Re: Barrier Feedback 06/29/2014 12:21 PM CDT
Barriers by themselves aren't generally too much, but some classes are able to stack 2-3 barriers on top of each other and completely break the system, combine that with the vitality barrier for having full health and people can become unkillable for the first 10 hits, regardless of ranks.

> Can't say I've ever seen MoA or HP be the turning point of a battle, meager addition benefit at best. If it ignored armor and then multiplied damage then that would be obliteration status.

I was speaking specifically about clerics using their anti-barrier to boost AE. Clerics have the ability to stack debilitation, curse, anti-barrier, and AE to decimate people well beyond their ranks. This can be done in very quick succession fairly easy
Re: Barrier Feedback 06/29/2014 12:24 PM CDT
> If there are barrier spells I missed that aren't on this list please let me know.

Iron constitution for empath
Tenacity for barbarian
Sagacity for thief
Re: Barrier Feedback 06/29/2014 12:33 PM CDT
>>Iron constitution for empath

That was on the list :P

>>Tenacity for barbarian
>>Sagacity for thief

These aren't spells you silly wabbit! (Though depending on how the barrier review goes it's entirely possible you'll see some ripples into both classes)

-Raesh

Re: Barrier Feedback 06/29/2014 01:08 PM CDT
>I was speaking specifically about clerics using their anti-barrier to boost AE. Clerics have the ability to stack debilitation, curse, anti-barrier, and AE to decimate people well beyond their ranks. This can be done in very quick succession fairly easy

Cleric "Anti-Barrier" is Divine Radiance which is a Holy Damage Amplifier and CoZ which reduces protection and absorbtion, there's also Malediction which can debilitate an opponents Defense. Decimating people well beyond their ranks is completely untrue, you have to actually land AE to do the damage to kill someone, which already has been nerfed due to the amount of bolts allowable, and the loss of accuracy and damage if your target moves. None of those abilities give hundreds of ranks to allow a Cleric the possibility to make up.

Regardless, this thread is starting to turn into Clerics too OP thread, and not the rate these barriers which it was intended for in the first place.
Re: Barrier Feedback 06/29/2014 01:18 PM CDT
I forgot to mention another issue I have with shear:

If I cast shear in combination with LW the LW gets the first shot at the spell. This is probably a good idea since you don't waste your shear on weak spells and any spell that breaks past lw is now weakened against a full power shear. Unfortunately that means that shear does nothing and pretty much just wears down from my own spell casting and puts me at risk of a stun as long as LW is up. I imagine finding a solution to this would be difficult but it means I rarely use shear. Funny, after giving feedback about shear I am starting to wonder why I learned it after the spell review was over.
Re: Barrier Feedback 06/29/2014 01:49 PM CDT
>Regardless, this thread is starting to turn into Clerics too OP thread, and not the rate these barriers which it was intended for in the first place.

While I do agree with you that the point of the thread isn't to poke at Clerics specifically, I think it's worth noting that Clerics have access to the most diverse combat magical toolbelt, and some unique tools to boot. 3 of the 10 traditional barriers (adding IC, which may or may not be legit) are Holy, there are only 3 Anti-barriers of which Clerics get one (and I believe but could be wrong, but doesn't DR let HE damage non-evil/undead targets? So, their anti-barrier is also removing the limitation of one of their potent TMs). I'm not sure if GHS reduces outgoing TM/missile, but in anycase, it's an anti-TM that also reduces missile. Clerics also have spirit damaging spells, AND protection from spirit damage, one of two reactive magical barriers (I guess HoW is a reactive physical barrier, and I may be forgetting something), and finally, the games only spell steal.

On the topic of just barriers, which is what afterall, we should be focusing on (and I admit the above is a mostly off topic digression), Clerics, I feel, excel at combat magical defensive buffing, so it may make sense that they'll be over represented here. I'm sure if you lined up 'offensive magic' for whatever that means, Warmies would be over represented.
Re: Barrier Feedback 06/29/2014 02:00 PM CDT
Please do not turn this into the "Clerics are OP'd thread".

We already know this. It is not news.

-Raesh

Re: Barrier Feedback 06/29/2014 02:04 PM CDT
>While I do agree with you that the point of the thread isn't to poke at Clerics specifically, I think it's worth noting that Clerics have access to the most diverse combat magical toolbelt, and some unique tools to boot. 3 of the 10 traditional barriers (adding IC, which may or may not be legit) are Holy

Uhh no, IC is life, not Holy.

>There are only 3 Anti-barriers of which Clerics get one (and I believe but could be wrong, but doesn't DR let HE damage non-evil/undead targets? So, their anti-barrier is also removing the limitation of one of their potent TMs).

lol, no DR doesn't let you cast HE or HH. Where did you hear this? DR is a Holy damage amplifier and balance reducer. It becomes damaging against undead, but it doesn't turn anything it touches to it.

>I'm not sure if GHS reduces outgoing TM/missile, but in anycase, it's an anti-TM that also reduces missile.

It doesn't reduce outgoing TM/Missle, it's also not as potent as AC or Worms, which do block outgoing.

>Clerics also have spirit damaging spells, AND protection from spirit damage, one of two reactive magical barriers (I guess HoW is a reactive physical barrier, and I may be forgetting something), and finally, the games only spell steal.

Irrelevant to a discussion about barrier spells.

There are also other guilds with barrier abilities, ant-barrier abilities, and cyclical spells that reduce incoming damage and accuracy. Those should be discussed as well.
Re: Barrier Feedback 06/29/2014 02:18 PM CDT
<<SL also doesn't help against IP + BG, or Dazzle/MB + SLS either (idk if this is a valid tactic anymore, I haven't faced a MM in 3.1.)>>

Good point. As far as I know, SL won't block any cyclic incoming TM, right? I didn't know BG bypassed it. As a tactical matter, it doesn't help me that I can use SLS but no other magic because a buffed cleric at-level (even pretty far below level) is going to be just fine vs my SLS if I can't rend or disable. But, in the spirit of not making this a vs clerics rant!

I think that, in general, a lot of attention needs to be paid to barriers that cannot be dispelled at all. Cyclics, barbs, and thieves, all fall into that. Invulnerability to dispel or rend is a massive advantage and should be accounted for one way or another.
Re: Barrier Feedback 06/29/2014 02:23 PM CDT
> Please do not turn this into the "Clerics are OP'd thread".

Nerf clerics!!! Also barriers are lame and i hope they die a horrible death.
Prev_page Previous 1