Evasion Penalties and Encumbrance 10/27/2010 01:05 PM CDT
Anyone have any information on the evasion penalties for various levels of encumbrance? I know that anything in the "None" range gives 0%, but once you hit "Light Burden," it grows with each additional stone you gain.

So is Light Burden 0-10% penalty? 0-5%? Anyone have any hard info?

Any GM's care to elaborate? Since combat has a large amount of randomness to it, it is impossible to empirically measure the various penalty levels. I know you guys don't like to give out numbers, but in this case, knowing the numbers (or approximate numbers) would be welcome since 1. The system is changing soon anyways and 2. the high amount of randomness in combat, makes it impossible to judge the levels for ourselves.

Again, not necessarily looking for an exact answer. Maybe something like: 'Somewhat burden' starts around a 10% penalty.... Burdened starts around a 25% penalty.
Re: Evasion Penalties and Encumbrance 10/29/2010 10:13 PM CDT
<< Anyone have any information on the evasion penalties for various levels of encumbrance? >>

::BUMP::
Re: Evasion Penalties and Encumbrance 10/29/2010 10:39 PM CDT
Yes. The more encumbered you are, the more your evasion is penalized. I thought the reason nobody answered was because it (the answer) is fairly obvious.

Pro Tip: Don't hunt with encumbrance higher than None.

I realize that in the beginning stages of character development, you may have encumbrance, but it's also fairly easy to avoid getting killed by critters at lower levels also. Once you get beyond 100 ranks in combats, there's no good reason to be encumbered while hunting, and if you are, it's your own fault. Stow the fluff in your vault, sell the bundles and gem pouches, use empaths instead of carrying 40 varieties of herbs, and you should be just fine.

Clerics are on the sectual radar.

Just to be clear - I didn't do it. Not sure who did, but it wasn't me.

- GM Raesh
Re: Evasion Penalties and Encumbrance 10/29/2010 11:34 PM CDT
Note that encumbrance levels are only in reference to evasion.

Other systems like who-knows-what - swimming? - might be penalizing you before or after the None range.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Evasion Penalties and Encumbrance 10/30/2010 09:52 PM CDT
That's dumb advice bc as you build a bundle you'll gain encumbrance, you can't run to the skiner heavy ten pelts.
Re: Evasion Penalties and Encumbrance 10/30/2010 10:39 PM CDT
You may consider it dumb advice, but that's what you asked for. You don't have to follow that advice at all. I follow my own advice and minimize my gear, inventory check shows less than 50 items on me, and my script is set up to sell bundles and/or pouches at any of the following conditions:

Wounded: when my script does a "health" check, I run get healed, sell bundles/pouches if I don't see "You have no significant injuries."

Encumbrance: If I see "Light Burden"

Inventory: If I'm carrying more than 400 items

Bundle: If I have a full bundle (200 pieces)

Pouches: If I have 2 full pouches

All of those conditions are checked after each kill during the skinning, looting, bundling process. Sorry you don't like my advice, but I practice what I preach.

- GM Raesh
Re: Evasion Penalties and Encumbrance 10/31/2010 06:58 AM CDT
>> You may consider it dumb advice, but that's what you asked for.

DGUTHRIE2: Actually, he didn't ask you for anything. That was his first post in this thread. I was the one who asked the original question, which leads to my next point...

You really need to read posts more carefully before you respond. Both of your responses were a bit rude and mostly off topic. If you want to post about how you created an uber script that automates every aspect of hunting and selling bundles while you are AFK, you need to start a new thread. You are welcome to contribute constructive dialog, but for the most part nothing you have posted so far pertains to my original question, which is restated below:

Can anyone tell me the values for the evasion penalties at various levels of burden? All I know is that No Burden = 0%
(For example, I'm looking for something like this: No Burden = 0%, Light = 0-5%, Somewhat = 5-10%, etc...)

Does anyone know or is this another one of those Black Boxes of DR?
Re: Evasion Penalties and Encumbrance 10/31/2010 08:16 AM CDT
If you want to know the answer to your question, then why don't you do some testing and enlighten us all. Good luck with that one.

- GM Raesh
Re: Evasion Penalties and Encumbrance ::NUDGE:: 10/31/2010 03:19 PM CDT
Enough with the snarking. You know where conflicts belong. Either get on topic and post constructively or end it.

Wordan
DragonRealms Board Monitor

If you have questions or comments, please email me at MOD-Wordan@play.net or Senior Board Monitor Sidatura at (DR-Sidatura@play.net) or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl (DR-Annwyl@play.net).
Re: Evasion Penalties and Encumbrance 10/31/2010 03:31 PM CDT
>> If you want to know the answer to your question, then why don't you do some testing and enlighten us all.

I would love to test the evasion penalties empirically, but as I stated in the Original Post, I'm not sure how it would be possible, due to the high degree of randomness in DR Combat. :( That's why I was asking if anyone had any hard data.

If you have some ideas on how a successful test could be achieved, I would be happy to hear them. One idea is to measure the number of times someone gets hit per creature attempt at each level of burden. Not sure how useful that data would be, however. I'm serious though, any constructive ideas are welcome. :)

FROM ORIGINAL POST:
>> Any GM's care to elaborate? Since combat has a large amount of randomness to it, it is impossible to empirically measure the various penalty levels. I know you guys don't like to give out numbers, but in this case, knowing the numbers (or approximate numbers) would be welcome since 1. The system is changing soon anyways and 2. the high amount of randomness in combat, makes it impossible to judge the levels for ourselves.
Re: Evasion Penalties and Encumbrance 10/31/2010 09:01 PM CDT
My apologies, I have been very snarky lately. I don't have any clue about how to test varying degrees of penalty based on burden. I'm afraid any such test would have too many variables such as guild, buffs, stats, ranks, critter attacks, hindrance, armor, balance, and so on and so forth. All of the things that make up the combat system.

This is why I believe the data (if there is any) is a black box GM secret, and why I refuse to hunt with burden. Occasionally, I've had characters on the ragged edge of the envelope where with no burden, I get only glancing type hits (no damage) but with light burden, I start taking hits. How to quantify and analyze those situations...? Unknown.

I don't think any of us will get a red name answer on exact or even approximate numbers any time soon.

- GM Raesh
Re: Evasion Penalties and Encumbrance 11/02/2010 07:23 AM CDT
Strip naked (getting arrested is an easy way to do this).
Go app a critter X starting at 100 evasion and dropping it till you see the change from solid to challenging. (this can be done from inviso, I try to stay at melee in case that makes a difference)
Go get enough coins to barely put you into the next encumbrance category.
Go app a critter X starting at 100 evasion and dropping it till you see the change from solid to challenging.
Compare the difference in evasion
Repeat for other critters and encumbrance levels

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
http://tinyurl.com/HanryuTanning
Re: Evasion Penalties and Encumbrance 11/05/2010 02:18 PM CDT
Wouldn't you also need to match your reflexes to their agility? Just saying it might be a bias if that isn't taken into account.
Re: Evasion Penalties and Encumbrance 11/06/2010 07:52 AM CDT
> Wouldn't you also need to match your reflexes to their agility? Just saying it might be a bias if that isn't taken into account.

I don't see why you would need a match. Agility and Reflex aren't "hard counters" to each other anyway. Furthermore, but repeating the procedure on a few different critters while boosting reflex I think you'd be able to work out any effect. When I've tried it the result was it seemed as if I had more base evasion.

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
http://tinyurl.com/HanryuTanning