Lightning Bolt annoyance 06/28/2008 11:12 AM CDT
I hate to be rude, but I'm getting tired of lightning bolt making me drop my weapon or throwing me to the ground for absolutely no reason. I'll be at full health, grasping my leg wounds on the ground. I only end up with nerve damage when this happens, no other wounds. LB is already hard enough to survive. The spell is making some hunting grounds even harder. I love the challenge, but not this new feature of LB.

A scaly seordmaor jerks and jumps about it as tendrils of electricity dart down its fur! Its eyes flicker with bluish light as it glances at you!
A bolt of bluish lightning blazes out of the sky toward you!
Glistening blue lines floating in the air shudder with the force of the spell!
The worst of the bolt misses, but tendrils of lightning lash out in passing to scorch your right hand.
Your bronze scimitar falls to the ground.

Its eyes flicker with bluish light as it glances at you!
Your crimson cage flares.
The worst of the bolt misses, but tendrils of lightning lash out in passing to scorch your left leg.
You fall screaming to the ground grasping your mangled left leg!
You should stand up first.

>health
Your body feels at full strength.
Your spirit feels full of life.
You have no significant injuries.
Re: Lightning Bolt annoyance 06/28/2008 11:51 AM CDT
That sort of looks like a bug with your defensive spells not preventing every aspect of the damage.

-Sephos
Re: Lightning Bolt annoyance 06/28/2008 12:45 PM CDT
>>That sort of looks like a bug with your defensive spells not preventing every aspect of the damage.

yeah I've been wondering about that. For reference, I had Seer's Sense + Seal of Deflection and got knocked down. The other times I had those spells plus Cage of Light and Divine Armor. I'm going to try with only Seer's Sense next which is just an evasion booster.
Re: Lightning Bolt annoyance 06/28/2008 02:06 PM CDT
It looks like you had cage of light up for the log you posted, is this not the messaging for it?

<<Your crimson cage flares.

One thought would be to see if other spells cause this same bug to occur. Could have players cast ALA or others at your legs, see if you fall over without getting your leg severed.

-Sephos
Re: Lightning Bolt annoyance 06/28/2008 02:37 PM CDT
I've had the same bug occur with Naming of Tears and Goblin Shaman's FoS.

I don't think it's just failing to prevent that aspect of damage, but actually amplifying it. Normally, a Shaman's FoS could never knock me down.

I'm not familiar with moonie spells; does one of those do direct damage reduction? Tears works that way, so maybe that's the mechanic that's not playing nice.
Re: Lightning Bolt annoyance 06/28/2008 03:06 PM CDT
>>It looks like you had cage of light up for the log you posted, is this not the messaging for it?

Yes, that's Cage of Light messaging. I've had this bug happen without that spell active. I just went out and tried with Seer's Sense + COL, and I got hit in the leg, but didn't fall down. I took some minor damage, so that may have saved me from falling. Seal of Deflection could be the one messing with me. I'll keep testing to see how things go with various spell setups.

>>One thought would be to see if other spells cause this same bug to occur. Could have players cast ALA or others at your legs, see if you fall over without getting your leg severed.

I'm going to try to do that when I get the chance. If anyone beats me to it, let us know.

>>I'm not familiar with moonie spells; does one of those do direct damage reduction? Tears works that way, so maybe that's the mechanic that's not playing nice.

Cage of Light spell works to reduce damage. Seal of Deflection is supposed to reduce the additional mana from offensive spells.
Re: Lightning Bolt annoyance 06/30/2008 05:57 PM CDT
Pay back! Really short log:

A dark crystalline spike crackles with shimmering light and discharges an undulating blast at a sky giant!
A sky giant's ethereal shield crackles with energy!
A sky giant yelps as its left leg is wrapped briefly in a net of lightning.
The sky giant topples over with a horrendous crash, like a great tree.
The crystalline spike splits asunder.

>look giant
You see a sky giant.
The sky giant has tiny scratches to the right eye.
The sky giant is in good shape.
It is wearing a studded leather coat.
It is carrying a rusty iron greatsword.

(End Log)

ES is doing the same thing. I knocked over the sky giant with Crystal Spike when my spell did no damage to his fully healthy legs. Guess the bug is all over the magic system. I'm trying to help narrow this down for you guys. Not sure if you're 100% fully aware of everything.
Re: Lightning Bolt annoyance 07/04/2008 06:56 PM CDT
Um.

R>cast rat
You draw your right arm back and mentally place the spell pattern within your hand. You attempt to aim the energy at a ship's rat with a mighty toss!
A small lightning bolt hurtles toward a ship's rat!
The lightning lands a glancing strike to its right leg!
A ship's rat screams and falls to the ground grasping its mangled right leg!
Roundtime: 1 second.
R>
You feel fully attuned to the mana streams again.
>

>dodge
You move into a position to dodge.
[You're nimbly balanced and overwhelming opponent.]
Roundtime: 3 sec.
R>l rat
You see a ship's rat.
The ship's rat is in good shape.
It is wearing nothing!
It is carrying nothing!

Is this related, you think?
Re: Lightning Bolt annoyance 07/04/2008 07:27 PM CDT
>Is this related, you think?

I don't know what's causing it anymore. This bug must be a headache to squish. Not my intention to be a nuisance by bringing it up every month. I'm learning to just deal with it. Long as the GMs are aware of its continued existance. Just bop me if I'm being annoying on the forum.
Re: Lightning Bolt annoyance 07/04/2008 08:46 PM CDT
>>The lightning lands a glancing strike to its right leg!

On the one hand, you didn't do any damage. That might not necessarily be the case, however, if TM is doing something different than a plain call to core combat wherein glancing strike with magic/LB doesn't equate to glancing strike with a weapon.

>>A ship's rat screams and falls to the ground grasping its mangled right leg!

On the other hand, you took its leg off or otherwise dinged it up but good.

On the other other hand, critters that wander/gen in the room always appear at the front of the list. Your facing doesn't change when this happens, so did more rats appear prior to your casting and after the last time you attacked the rat? Could be that you are simply looking at the wrong rat thinking you hit that rat and saw a buggy result when really it was some other rat that your spell hit.

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Lightning Bolt annoyance 07/04/2008 09:33 PM CDT
The only thing I took out of the log was a script-generated echo statement.

I cast at that rat precisely because it had walked in while I was occupied with another one. I looked at it because I was shocked that, with 4 TM, I had managed to blow a leg off a rat. I figured it had run in after being punished by someone else in the shipyard, but well.. it's in the log.

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin
Re: Lightning Bolt annoyance 07/05/2008 02:35 AM CDT
>>I looked at it because I was shocked that, with 4 TM, I had managed to blow a leg off a rat. I figured it had run in after being punished by someone else in the shipyard, but well.. it's in the log.

I've been scouring through the code trying to track this bug down, but I can't find anything in the usual places. I can't replicate it either, which is pretty odd.

Were there any other spells or magical effects involved prior to the incident? About how often does it happen?

- GM Wythor

What goes up
is futile --
unless it goes out
Re: Lightning Bolt annoyance 07/05/2008 02:55 AM CDT
Wythor, I can replicate this bug if I cast ES, Cage of Light or Seal of Deflection and then go into seordmaors for a hunt. Not sure if those spells are the cause, but I had to stop using them before hunting because the bug occured too often.

It seems to happen when the incoming spell would have done the lightest of damage, but all the damage gets reduced to nothing due to the magic barriers. Then we fall grasping our healthy legs or dropping what's in our hands. Also Lightning Bolt still gives nerve damage during this. I have no clue why EB threw the rat to the ground. I've thrown sky giants to the ground but they use ES.

I hope this helps! Very easy for me to replicate :) Which is not a good thing for me heh.
Re: Lightning Bolt annoyance 07/05/2008 03:14 AM CDT
>>I've been scouring through the code trying to track this bug down, but I can't find anything in the usual places. I can't replicate it either, which is pretty odd.

>>Were there any other spells or magical effects involved prior to the incident? About how often does it happen?

For me, specifically,

This was a circle 1 warrior mage. I chose Zephyr as my first spell. I had a pet empath who may have put Refresh on me. That's it.

And it doesn't happen anymore. I actually hit the rats and kill them now. And I have 11 more ranks. So I can't give you more data, either. =/

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin
Re: Lightning Bolt annoyance 07/05/2008 03:39 AM CDT
Not using lightning bolt, but I did have this bug happen when hunting with my bard and using Phoenix's Pyre. It was randomly doing it to critters and to even the occasional player that would walk through my room at the wrong pulse. No damage to them, but they would fall grasping their leg. Hope this helps!

~Sycal
Re: Lightning Bolt annoyance 07/05/2008 09:42 AM CDT
You guys are going to be sad when the bug gets "fixed" and you still fall to the ground but now your leg is actually severed ;)

-Sephos
Re: Lightning Bolt annoyance 07/05/2008 01:02 PM CDT
>>You guys are going to be sad when the bug gets "fixed" and you still fall to the ground but now your leg is actually severed ;)

The bug that I am aware of is the other way around: extra, phantasmal damage being assumed for purposes of that check.

This is not to say that there isn't even more errors in these calculations that twist the result the other way, though! It's a scary piece of real estate, which is why a fix is taking a long time.

-Armifer
"It is no longer possible to escape men. Farewell to the monsters, farewell to the saints. Farewell to pride. All that is left is men."
- Jean-Paul Sartre
Re: Lightning Bolt annoyance 07/05/2008 01:05 PM CDT
> The bug that I am aware of is the other way around: extra, phantasmal damage being assumed for purposes of that check.

Now I'm inspired to try a new Bardic illusion enchante -- Phantasmal Severance! Rawr!

- GM Dartenian

"So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin
On his face. If he worried, he hid it.
He started to sing as he tackled that thing
That couldn't be done and he did it."
- Edgar Guest
Re: Lightning Bolt annoyance 07/05/2008 01:36 PM CDT
If it helps Dart, Energy Bolt does the same exact thing, let me get a log for you and I'll send it to you, with glancing hits and 19 TM I can replicate results every time, if you glancing hit right arm, they drop their weapon, if you glancing hit a leg, they fall over.

- Emerald Knight, Tazeran Salmin
Re: Lightning Bolt annoyance 07/05/2008 01:44 PM CDT
Here's the Log's:

You draw your right arm back and mentally place the spell pattern within your hand. You attempt to aim the energy at a sand sprite with a mighty toss!
A dart of white fire hurtles toward a sand sprite!
The holy fire lands a glancing strike to its right leg!

A sand sprite falls to the ground with a surprised squeal.

and the disarm:

You draw your left arm back and mentally place the spell pattern within your hand. You attempt to aim the energy at a sand sprite with a mighty toss!
A dart of white fire hurtles toward a sand sprite!
The holy fire lands a glancing strike to its right arm!
The sprite's coral knife falls to the ground.

- Emerald Knight, Tazeran Salmin
Re: Lightning Bolt annoyance 07/05/2008 05:42 PM CDT
An attempt at fixing this has been made in Prime. Please let me know how it works out for those of you affected. I'll get it into TF and Plat as soon as I know this fix worked and hasn't broken anything else.

GM Oolan Jeel

"This island is made mainly of coal and surrounded by fish. Only an organizing genius could produce a shortage of coal and fish at the same time." Aneurin Bevan, May 1945, on World War II rationing and shortages in England.
Re: Lightning Bolt annoyance 07/06/2008 03:07 AM CDT
>An attempt at fixing this has been made in Prime. Please let me know how it works out for those of you affected. I'll get it into TF and Plat as soon as I know this fix worked and hasn't broken anything else.

Thank you! Didn't have much time to hunt but this happened:

A scaly seordmaor jerks and jumps about it as tendrils of electricity dart down its fur! Its eyes flicker with bluish light as it glances at you!
Your black cage writhes.
The worst of the bolt misses, but tendrils of lightning lash out in passing to scorch your right leg.

>health

Empath:
Wounds to the SKIN:
Fresh Internal: slightly tender -- insignificant

I was fully healthy right before. The LB did no vitality damage just nerve damage. And I did not fall grasping my leg! I had Cage of Light, Seer's Sense, Seal of Deflection, Shadows and Ease Burden active. Good enough for me for now! Awesome work :)

Very pleased seordmaor hunter now. I'll keep trying to replicate the old bug, but it looks squished for now.
Re: Lightning Bolt annoyance 07/06/2008 05:17 PM CDT
Tested some more. I can no longer replicate the bug. I've been zapped (lightning bolt) numerous times in the legs and hands. When they cause no damage (except for nerve damage), I don't fall over or drop my weapon. This would always happen before. I'm not noticing anything odd except the incorrect messaging but that's always been the case.

Your crimson cage flares.
The worst of the bolt misses, but tendrils of lightning lash out in passing to scorch your right hand.

>health

>glance
You glance down to see a pitted bronze scimitar in your right hand and nothing in your left hand.