Ring of Spears 07/24/2004 01:37 AM CDT
I am looking for informed feedback pros and cons on the ring of spears spell before I start climbing up the spell ladder to get it. And yes I know I already posted in the WM folder.

Nectanebus
Re: Ring of Spears 07/24/2004 01:35 PM CDT
>And yes I know I already posted in the WM folder.

So why did you post here?

I responded in WM folder.

Player of Tessaa
Re: Ring of Spears 07/24/2004 01:47 PM CDT
>So why did you post here?

Gee, i dunno, the glowing neon 'ELEMENTAL MAGIC FEEDBACK' sign? Maybe he just wanted some more feedback from people who don't visit the particular guild folders?

Regardless, i've seen this played around with when it was on a scroll. Granted, it was a moon mage with decent magic ability, but from the looks of it, it looks like a really deadly melee spell with expert ranks. Like static discharge wishes it was. Also, at lower ranks, it should still force your enemies back, even if it doesn't strike at them. And creatures should be unable to advance for a while, due to the broken ground around you.
Re: Ring of Spears 07/24/2004 05:44 PM CDT
>Regardless, i've seen this played around with when it was on a scroll. Granted, it was a moon mage with decent magic ability, but from the looks of it, it looks like a really deadly melee spell with expert ranks. Like static discharge wishes it was. Also, at lower ranks, it should still force your enemies back, even if it doesn't strike at them. And creatures should be unable to advance for a while, due to the broken ground around you.

You're way off. "...really deadly melee spell?" With grandmaster PM I can't kill musk hogs with the spell. "Like static discharge wishes it was"? SD > RoS. Sorry.

Player of Tessaa

Re: Ring of Spears 07/24/2004 06:55 PM CDT
<<So why did you post here?>>

To see if I would get any other responses.

Nectanebus
Re: Ring of Spears 07/25/2004 04:40 PM CDT
Its a spell that needs work,i've killed,stunned & maimed critters with it at level but the prep is too high to get those results,way way too high.
the spears will keep em off you for a short time,enough time to shoot ranged weps,but retreat is better.
its fun to torture lesser critters with it but overall not useful at level so i'd pass on it if i was you.
Re: Ring of Spears 08/01/2004 06:30 PM CDT
>You're way off. "...really deadly melee spell?" With grandmaster PM I can't kill musk hogs with the spell. "Like static discharge wishes it was"? SD > RoS. Sorry.

Hi, grats you on doing something wrong. A moon mage unleashing a scroll with 223 ranks in primary magic, skewering half a dozen sand sprites instantly.... And you with grandmaster PM can't kill a musk hog.

Yoke's on you, I won't bother passing what subtle nuances i've learned about magic in my time here, though I noticed the lunarian made use of a couple of them before the actual cast. Well, as they say, great minds think alike.

Either that, or there's some part of the code that says if{spell}=unleashed(powerx10)=result.

....somehow i doubt that is the case.
Re: Ring of Spears 08/13/2004 08:56 PM CDT
<<A moon mage unleashing a scroll with 223 ranks in primary magic, skewering half a dozen sand sprites instantly>>

Unleash is known to make spells work as they were intended, not as they actually work in practice. ::grin:: Effects of an Unleashed spell can vary wildly, and do not represent the actual spell as if it were cast normally.

<<I won't bother passing what subtle nuances i've learned about magic in my time here>>

Hmm... like learning the spell and casting it normally, instead of watching someone else Unleash it, to study its true effects? You should not base your assumption of RoS's abilities on that particular event. Find the scroll or learn the spell and cast it many times to determine its actual effectiveness. While I've never cast the spell myself, I'm sure Tessaa has, and has a good enough grasp of the magic system to use it in the best way possible.

<<Either that, or there's some part of the code that says if{spell}=unleashed(powerx10)=result.>>

That would be my guess. After all, the big difference between your observation and Tessaa's tests was Unleashing vs. casting.

Another possibility is that behind-the-curtain changes were made to the spell to make it more effective between the time Tessaa tested it and your friend Unleashed it.

P.S. I can't believe I'm actually defending Tessaa. ::shudder:: I should get my head examined.

~Vraniss~

die
and be free of pain
or live
and fight your sorrow
Re: Ring of Spears 08/19/2004 12:40 PM CDT
For the record, i've actually prepped the spell, and used it. Not unleashed, with primary/harness ranks a bit more than 20 away from expert. I speared a bunch of sand sprites with it as well, and I found it rather effective in dealing with bawdy swain, in that lovely part of town where you can't thunderclap or frostbite or such without being tossed in jail.

Grandmaster ranks aside, a bought character is going to be missing some things a pure character is going to have. Unless of course, they had played a character of that class from 0-30.

P.S. I'm not sure what 'subtle nuances' refer to, but I found that straight casts weren't very effective. And min prep plus some raw harness also kind of sucked, but min prep+cambrinth, as with all of my magic, yielded the best results. Maybe when I have grandmaster ranks, all of my spells will be downtweaked to be unable to kill musk hogs, but i seriously doubt it.

Know the apostrophe.
Re: Ring of Spears 08/19/2004 12:43 PM CDT
And having said that, I give this spell my thumbs up. Because i've been killed before when 2 critters jump me from behind, and I can't retreat, and this spell would've been a life saver in those times, as it will force anything back from melee, even if it doesn't damage them. And prevent them from advancing for a little time.

And having said that, I give this spell two thumbs up, because you can cast it on people you're with to help them out. Another fantastic elemental mage utility spell.

Know the apostrophe.