Breaking and Entering - Time to Capture 03/18/2020 03:49 PM CDT
I'm getting multiple reports and have also experienced myself an issue where there is insufficient time to get out after hearing footsteps. The situation usually plays out like this:

I> search bed
I>
Footsteps nearby make you wonder if you're pushing your luck.
I>
You rummage around the massive bed, until you find a hooded cinnamon cloak bearing the crest of House Guemos. It looks valuable, so you decide to take it.
Roundtime: 10 sec.
IR>
I> northeast
You go northeast.
[Someone Else's Home, Kitchen]
Goldenoak floors lie beneath batiste rugs. A long diamondique counter fills the center of the room.
You also see the kitchen window.
Obvious exits: northwest.
I> go window
A scream shocks you, as the owner discovers you ransacking their home. You flee, the owner's calls for help following you outside.
"Stop right there!" The shout reverberates through the area as the guard charges towards you. "You're under arrest!"

I had understood that this wasn't intended to be the circumstance - that as long as you didn't linger (as you can see, I'm not lingering), you should be able to get out in time. Is this an incorrect understanding? Is there always going to be some level of risk if the footsteps come right about the same time as the input for searching the surface?
Re: Breaking and Entering - Time to Capture 03/19/2020 06:16 AM CDT
I've noticed that because of increased internet pressure, my pig times to St. Louis have increased dramatically during the day. This make commands sometimes lag and might be what you're seeing in that log snip. Was that the second surface or the first you searched?

~Hunter Hanryu
>I would like to avoid the collection of broken dreams and sorrow that is the Ranger guild.~Agalea
Re: Breaking and Entering - Time to Capture 03/19/2020 09:09 AM CDT

I've run into the same thing, and it sucks. I only steal from Clans now because I'd rather lose a hand than 110 plat.

I'm just not sure what the resolution is, burgle is supposed to be inherently very dangerous and the issue is ping between the game engine and personal internet.
Re: Breaking and Entering - Time to Capture 03/19/2020 12:42 PM CDT
DA - Ordinarily I'd say sure, it's dangerous, but we were told that unless you did something wrong, you would not get caught, and Javac had increased the time between footsteps and capture in order to protect against that risk. If what were were told is wrong, that's fine, but I want to know. If what we are told is correct, then there's a bug, because this has been happening fairly regularly for myself and others who burgle often so cannot just be pushed aside due to latency issues.
Re: Breaking and Entering - Time to Capture 03/22/2020 12:10 PM CDT
> that as long as you didn't linger (as you can see, I'm not lingering), you should be able to get out in time.

The footsteps will trigger a few seconds earlier now. Previously, if it was really bad timing you could have only a second after RT. Now it should be more like five seconds.

I’ve also added another benefit for survival primes. If you have every room unlocked, and extra survival primes who don’t have a room to randomly unlock, they will instead add some time to the microseg.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Breaking and Entering - Time to Capture 03/22/2020 03:28 PM CDT
A million thanks.